Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild/aggressive cam help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ybaslo1
Yes, because a TR230 and a TREX are almost identical. WTF?
Yeah dude. "I don't need a cam that makes power around 2500 when I have a 4000 stall" or something along those lines. The T-Rex comes on hard at 4000, seems like a good build to me. With a 100 shot you would be deep 10s.

But what do I know, I am not a 14 second class winner.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MS series, T-Rex, and Tsunami cams are played out. There are far better cam choices out there now and cams that clown all over these listed.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

EPS cams cost more because they use proprietary lobes that you can't get anywhere else. Same goes for Ed Curtis cams. They are about the same price. And they **** all over the standard Comp stuff. The added bonus of the EPS cams is Geoff will throw it on a cam doctor so you can see how far off Comp ground the cam. And it will be a good bit off.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Launching!

The newer cams clown all over the MS, T-rex, etc...? they do it on a dyno or on the track? hard to outrun some of those cams i have found. just my .02
if you have a 4k converter then get a cam that just gets going a little before 4k, why have a cam that kicks in at 2500 when your not even using it?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I assume they get a bad rap due to the situation. Actually, Geoff used to own Thunder Racing. A situation happened now he no longer owns it, he runs Engine Power Systems instead. I have heard of alot of good stories from Thunder racing as well. I am not going to bad mouth any company on hear say, if they have a good product that I want, I will buy it.
They got a bad rep due to delivering poor service to quite a few forum members. There are too many companies out there selling parts for these engines who will go out of their way to deliver good service for anyone to put up with crap or risk not getting parts in a timely manner.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

SI5 cam here click on my thread for a idle clip about half way down first page. Daily drive mine with no problems
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
They got a bad rep due to delivering poor service to quite a few forum members. There are too many companies out there selling parts for these engines who will go out of their way to deliver good service for anyone to put up with crap or risk not getting parts in a timely manner.
Just as a question, how long did it take you to get your EPS cam? I talked to Geoff yesterday and my cam is now ready to be shipped out first thing next week, but I ordered it back on January 30th.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Just as a question, how long did it take you to get your EPS cam? I talked to Geoff yesterday and my cam is now ready to be shipped out first thing next week, but I ordered it back on January 30th.
I had to wait a few months but it was well worth the wait.

Last edited by BODUKE; 03-13-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

I ordered it and had it there in about a week. He takes orders and then sends them to Comp to be ground (on his lobes) and I guess I caught him on the day he was placing his order. He said it would take them a couple days to process and then drop ship direct to me which took another 3 days (ups ground or fedex can't remember)

This was in October. I would expect ordering anything between Jan-April to take longer due to high order demand as people gear up for racing season and spending tax return money. I just ordered some gauges from Dakota Digital and it took nearly a month to get them.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geoff stays pretty busy. Just spoke to him the other day about a new build of mine and he was pluggin away as usual. My EPS cam took roughly 2 weeks to arrive.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by justin hover
Check out Martins cams @ tick performance. Street heat and sns torquemax cams for ls1s. I have just about the exact mods you have and went with his sns stage 3. Specs in Sig. With a 4000 stall your gonna be reving on the higher side no matter what. 3000+ to really start hauling. So don't get a cam with to much power under the curve... you essentially won't be able to benefit from it. Match that converter wisely. I was little lost on this, I had to call Martin.
Exactly.

With a 4000rpm stall converter, there is no point in having a smaller cam that will make more power in the 2000-4000rpm range. Why is that you ask? Because when you floor the car, the rpm will jump straight to 4000rpm going right past all those gains your smaller cam would of gotten you.

That said, I would strongly suggest our LS2 Stage 2 or Stage 3 TorqueMAX camshaft. Stage 2 is 231/235 .617"/.621" 111+2 and Stage 3 is 235/239 .621"/.624" 112+2. The entire TorqueMAX line has been making some huge gains lately with impressive power curves to boot.

I had a customer make a hair over 400rwhp with a A4 and the Stage 2 TorqueMAX cam I mentioned above cam-only with a FTI 3800 stall. He loves it.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't hesitate to run either of the cams mentioned above by Martin with your setup.

Out of the 2, I would lean towards the Stage 2 with stock heads/compression and the Stage 3 with a little compression bump.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I ordered it and had it there in about a week. He takes orders and then sends them to Comp to be ground (on his lobes) and I guess I caught him on the day he was placing his order. He said it would take them a couple days to process and then drop ship direct to me which took another 3 days (ups ground or fedex can't remember)

This was in October. I would expect ordering anything between Jan-April to take longer due to high order demand as people gear up for racing season and spending tax return money. I just ordered some gauges from Dakota Digital and it took nearly a month to get them.
That's true. I know he said it would take longer since I was having it cam doctored as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

That's true. I know he said it would take longer since I was having it cam doctored as well.
Yeah if you had it cam doctored then it is either shipped back to him or somewhere else before it's sent to you.

Without it, it drop ships from comp as soon as it's ground.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Exactly.

With a 4000rpm stall converter, there is no point in having a smaller cam that will make more power in the 2000-4000rpm range. Why is that you ask? Because when you floor the car, the rpm will jump straight to 4000rpm going right past all those gains your smaller cam would of gotten you.

That said, I would strongly suggest our LS2 Stage 2 or Stage 3 TorqueMAX camshaft. Stage 2 is 231/235 .617"/.621" 111+2 and Stage 3 is 235/239 .621"/.624" 112+2. The entire TorqueMAX line has been making some huge gains lately with impressive power curves to boot.

I had a customer make a hair over 400rwhp with a A4 and the Stage 2 TorqueMAX cam I mentioned above cam-only with a FTI 3800 stall. He loves it.
Thanks for the replys guys. I looked at the TorqueMax stage 2 cam and like the specs, but couldn't pull enough info for the cam off the internet to reseach.

The customer you spoke of that makes a hair over 400hp, do you know if this cam makes excessive valve train noise on his car? Does he have a dyno graph or track times?

How is the tq for this cam? Right now I am at 320/321 hp/tq with a half assed street tune. I'm okay with making 370-380 on the same dyno, 400 would be great, but I want to gain some nice tq with a good curve as well.

How is the driveablilty with the cam? Any stalling issues coming to a stop? Pulling away from a stop is fine?

What would be the approx shift point for the cam?

What injectors do use suggest for this cam?

Does the cam have enought power to break a 10 bolt? Just kidding, I already cut mid 1.6's so I know I'm on borrowed time.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the replys guys. I looked at the TorqueMax stage 2 cam and like the specs, but couldn't pull enough info for the cam off the internet to reseach.

The customer you spoke of that makes a hair over 400hp, do you know if this cam makes excessive valve train noise on his car? Does he have a dyno graph or track times?

How is the tq for this cam? Right now I am at 320/321 hp/tq with a half assed street tune. I'm okay with making 370-380 on the same dyno, 400 would be great, but I want to gain some nice tq with a good curve as well.

How is the driveablilty with the cam? Any stalling issues coming to a stop? Pulling away from a stop is fine?

What would be the approx shift point for the cam?

What injectors do use suggest for this cam?

Does the cam have enought power to break a 10 bolt? Just kidding, I already cut mid 1.6's so I know I'm on borrowed time.

Thanks.
He has the standard lobes and they are louder than the mild lobes. When using a lobe on the exhaust that has a fast closing ramp like the LSL lobes the standard lobed cams come with they can be noisier than other milder lobes. If more noise bothers you then the mild lobes would be your best bet for a quiet valve-train.

The torque curve and figures for all the SNS TorqueMAX cams will be higher than others of similar duration due to their design. That was the whole idea behind the Saturday Night Special(SNS) line-up was to make peak power like larger cams, not have to rev them to as high of a RPM as those larger cams, make more under the curve power and torque than those larger cams and sound like a larger cam all at the same time. The dyno he was on at the time didn't have a functional tach pick-up so no torque figures were recorded.

With the amount of overlap this cam has, with a tuner that will actually spend some time on your tune and not just stick it on the dyno for 3-4 hours and call it done, you will not have any of the issues you're worried about when driving the car. If the car dies coming to a stop or when pulling away from a stop that is purely a tune related issue.

I would shift this cam around 6500-6600rpm and I'd use 36-42# injectors as well.

To answer your 10 bolt question....will I be held liable for damages? LOL...JK!

Quick Reply: Mild/aggressive cam help