Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Machine Shop Assembly of my 4.8... question about their method...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i put my 5.3 in my car i reused all the old gaskets... with a dab of ultra black rtv in some of the corners i have zero leaks. i would make them fix that crap or refund some money.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sprayedenali
what shop did it? just curious because i see youre in springville (im in leeds...)
Engine Rebuilders LLC ,
7315 Gadsden Hwy
Trussville, AL 35173
(205) 655-3777
Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boostit5.3
when i put my 5.3 in my car i reused all the old gaskets... with a dab of ultra black rtv in some of the corners i have zero leaks. i would make them fix that crap or refund some money.
Thats what i did on my Ls1 that I had in my 93 Mazda Rx7, I did a head and cam package on it and reused all the gaskets besides headgaskets with no issues.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
My friend just moved from Leeds - he has a 2001 Pewter Trans Am. You may have seen it once or twice. He lived about a mile from the track.
Yea, they were supposed to call me with a quote before they started on it, Said it would be atleast 2 weeks before they got to it, And have his engine builder talk to me about what i wanted done ( ring gap size since it was going to be boosted) well exactly 2 weeks to the day after I dropped it off, he called with the price and said it was finished. But yes 1275, I had one turbo manifold flange (t4 ) decked and that was $40. But assembly for labor was 600 , then all the machine work they did. wasn't bored over or anything like that.
They purchased the piston rings, lifts and cam bearings. I supplied everything else. I'll scan the receipt and post it.
Also i built the heads before i dropped them off. I media blasted them, installed the new valve guides and seals, installed hd valve springs. All they did was surface the heads and vatted them. So I still don't get how they get 16hrs of labor time, didn't even install the oil pickup tube, oil pan or intake and valve covers.

But I really don't pay that much attention to trans am's or camaros.. All my ls engines are always in something other than what they were meant for.
this is what my 4.8 is going in.

mockup.

Last edited by FlyInTy; 03-20-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

ahh, ive used them for a few things in the past, did alright work i suppose. no problems or anything though.

you have some pretty badass toys!!!! dont know that ive ever seen the rx7 around though... ever go to lassiter or anything?? once you get that wrx done you need to come out to mexico with us!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sprayedenali
ahh, ive used them for a few things in the past, did alright work i suppose. no problems or anything though.

you have some pretty badass toys!!!! dont know that ive ever seen the rx7 around though... ever go to lassiter or anything?? once you get that wrx done you need to come out to mexico with us!!!
I built the rx7 back in 2010, finished it spring of 2011... Sold it October 2011, I went to steele with it a bunch of times and daily drove it for the time I had it.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

I am going off the assumption that the timing cover is already tightened to the block, I would at a minimum, loosen the timing cover and rear engine plate (if that is installed too), bolt the oil pan on and torque it down, then snug the timing cover and rear engine plate down to the oil pan, this will help prevent cracking your new oil pan in case the timing cover wasn't aligned on the block perfectly.

Quick Reply: Machine Shop Assembly of my 4.8... question about their method...