Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam spec question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam spec question

I recently had a "cam theory" expert spec out the perfect cam for LS1 with stock tuning. I talked to CC and TR and there perspectives were to get higher lift cams and lower LSA's (meaning 114 and above) to compromise driveability. The expert says that the LSA numbers are more important and to bring down the lift numbers to compromise for driveability issues. The cam he spit out for CC to grind had a decent duration (above 224) and smaller lift (below 540) and an extremely aggressive LSA (below 110). I was told also that bigger cams (cams with a lift over 540) dont make any power over 540 lift with stock lifters. Just wanted to get the "experts" on this message boards thoughts and experiences. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are asking for "advice" from someone you trust, then ask around to others, you will only get more confused and your combo will fail.

Stay with one person's package and see what shakes out. You know, the "too many cooks in the kitchen" theory...

As for the lobe separation deal... I don't care what "any" cam experts says... Lobe separation is the "result" of properly designed timing events and if a "cam repackager" tells you that it "Must be 114* for streetability" or such an erroneous comment... RUN AWAY QUICKLY... Timing events are the key... NOT the LSA...

I've got 5.0 engines out there with 108* and tighter LSA camshafts that idle great, make gobs of average power and out accelerate those wide separation cams that most Ford guys like to use....

It's all in the "TIMING EVENTS"....

Forget the hype... get results!!!

Ed
Old 04-22-2004, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with Ed. It's all about timing. . .getting the air in when the engine combo wants it and getting it out. Nothing more then an air pump.

Chris
Old 04-22-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bingo. I agree with Ed and Chris.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will have to agree with these guys. Valve timing is actually what make a cam a cam. the amount of overlap, valve opening, and closing, etc. Lsa directly affects all of this but shouldn't be the end all be all of a cam. You really need to start taking lobe centerline and compression, as well as ALL of the valve events of a cam when designing one. A cam really isn't that hard to design, if you just want one to sound good. If you want one to really make power and sound mean...go with someone's already proven grind and save yourself a lot of expiramental $$.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Ask a professional.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stealth
Ask a professional.
he is a pro, he specs out cams for people such as myself all the way up to NASCAR drivers.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pewter99TransAm
he is a pro, he teaches cam theories at MIT.
Then trust him. Don't double-guess him. Just go with what he says and see how it works out. There are more things in this world than are marketed on LS1tech.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm with all the guys who replied, especially about staying with one person and about the valve events. The LSA and duration comes from sizing the overlap correctly for the specific engine details. I had More spec one for my 383. Good luck with yours!
Old 04-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TeeKay
I'm with all the guys who replied, especially about staying with one person and about the valve events. The LSA and duration comes from sizing the overlap correctly for the specific engine details. I had More spec one for my 383. Good luck with yours!
thanks. its not that im doubting his knowledge just wanting to get some stories of members from the message board of custom grinds and power gains.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

I also agree that LSA is the result of proper cam design, but you must remember that LSA definitely affects tuneability. You have to be honest with yourself about your desire for power with driveability, tuneability and your pocketbook. Lots of people have cars that make big power numbers, but don't have lots of throttle response. Throttle response is the key to fun on the street!
Old 04-22-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Mark, you were reading my mind as I was posting in Denzz's thread. The ability of the engine to RPM quickly!!!

I agree, go with whatever he says.

Chris
Old 04-22-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Mark Campbell
I also agree that LSA is the result of proper cam design, but you must remember that LSA definitely affects tuneability. You have to be honest with yourself about your desire for power with driveability, tuneability and your pocketbook. Lots of people have cars that make big power numbers, but don't have lots of throttle response. Throttle response is the key to fun on the street!

What?

Come on Mark!

We all know racing dynos and flow benches is the way of the world!

What are you trying to do here? Create anarchy??

Ed

Old 04-22-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy crap!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EDC

What?

Come on Mark!

We all know racing dynos and flow benches is the way of the world!

What are you trying to do here? Create anarchy??

Ed

when i bought this car i never intended to make it a weekend warrior. just wanted a car with 400+ whp and fun street driveability. also known as "dynoqueen."