Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to degree a cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, here's a question....I can install dot to dot and be PERFECT as long as my 'custom' cam from PatG was ordered through him? I believe he gets the cam before I would and he VERIFIES it's accuracy?

I would assume if it was off 2 deg he would advise me to install it either +/- that amount? (then I would need to degree it??!!)

Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm wondering the same thing now as i ordered a custom grind and would really like what I paid for!!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

It's like getting a wheel alignment. If a tech is lazy he will make sure your caster/camber are within the "Green", which is usually +/- 5 degrees and say it's good to go, but your car still pulls to one side. Then you look at the print-out and it shows the right side is -5 and left is +5.

A cam can certainly be installed D2D, which is "close enough" in the +/- window, but if you want to get the maximum performance out of the grind and have it operate in the window that the manufacturer has specified then it needs to open/close at exactly the correct degree of crankshaft revolution. Only way to do that is with a degree wheel and rotating the crank clockwise.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rikoshay
It's like getting a wheel alignment. If a tech is lazy he will make sure your caster/camber are within the "Green", which is usually +/- 5 degrees and say it's good to go, but your car still pulls to one side. Then you look at the print-out and it shows the right side is -5 and left is +5.

A cam can certainly be installed D2D, which is "close enough" in the +/- window, but if you want to get the maximum performance out of the grind and have it operate in the window that the manufacturer has specified then it needs to open/close at exactly the correct degree of crankshaft revolution. Only way to do that is with a degree wheel and rotating the crank clockwise.
Do shops usually do this, or does it have to be specified and then you won't really know that it has been done if they say so?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

People also use it for ajustability. More of a racing application. Advancing or retarding a cam a few degrees can move the power range up and down. Checking one can be intimidating at first, but, as already stated, it's not too bad once you do it a few times.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

Can someone post u;p a Thread about degree a cam? I check Crane's website but I still don't get it.. can you degree it with the heads off? Or is it more accurate to degree with the heads on? Also if you have a andjustable timing chain the moves in incurements of 2 how do you degree it properley if you just need one degree?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Teching In

I don't know of any threads for it , but there are several hot rod type books that cover it. How to Build and Modify GM LS- Series engines is one of the ones I have. Amazon Books lists several.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 87gtNOS
ok, here's a question....I can install dot to dot and be PERFECT as long as my 'custom' cam from PatG was ordered through him? I believe he gets the cam before I would and he VERIFIES it's accuracy?

I would assume if it was off 2 deg he would advise me to install it either +/- that amount? (then I would need to degree it??!!)

Thanks
you really should stick the cam in straight up, then degree it... you need to find your intake ICL by using a degree wheel. once you verify your intake ICL then you can subtract it by your lobe separation and that would be your built in advance or lack there of built in advance depending on your results. then you can adjust your timing set to get the advance your looking for. For example if you have a intake center line (ICL) of 110 and the cam is on a 114 LSA then you would subtract 110 ICL from 114 LSA = 4* of ground in advance already built into this cam. most people like to run either 2* advance or 4* advance, depending on application. keep in mind that just because your cam card says the cam is this and this and your cam builder says the cam is this and this doesn't mean it is.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

by the way i agree with Oldass, alot of what is covered on here can be looked up in a book. the book Oldass recommended is a must have for LS guys,,,

Last edited by 3rdCoastPowerSports; 09-23-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WARP211
Can someone post u;p a Thread about degree a cam? I check Crane's website but I still don't get it.. can you degree it with the heads off? Or is it more accurate to degree with the heads on? Also if you have a andjustable timing chain the moves in incurements of 2 how do you degree it properley if you just need one degree?
you can degree with heads on or heads off its your choice... you wont be able to take your PTV measurements with the heads off though.
one degree aint gonna make a whole lot of differance,,, is this a GT series car and motor that needs every last HP and weight savings or is it a street car that you want to be as fast as possible,,,, if its the later you aint gonna notice one degree and the dyno wont either (hense why the degree kit moves in 2*)
Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a realy good post. which kit is best i think comp cams have one too. does anyone have a video of a ls1 engine having cam degreed.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87gtNOS

Thanks

Just because the lobes are accurate doesnt mean the cam will install right. the dowel could be off, the hole on your timing set could be off (stock GM ones are usually pretty good) the keyway could be off on the crank, same with the key-way on the lower timing gear. That's why its important to check and move if necessary.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WARP211
here this may help shed some light for you

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...m/viewall.html
Old 08-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Default why you should degree a cam

Originally Posted by more carbon
ya,i second that.you go dot-dot the chain is in the right position,done deal unless we are missin' something????
When u go dot to dot,that means if you are in time.but all performance cams are bought with an end result in mind.to achieve that result your cam needs to be set up with correct degree.118 120 116.what a degree wheel does is sets your true top dead center.which can be off by a few degrees easily on timing marks and timing key,casting marks.this is were you can mark your crank pulley and timing cover now.because most ls has none.then you use dial indicator to find centerline of lobe lift.that way you can accurately find came centerline.then using offset gear,adjust cam timing perfectly. Usually timing is 2-4 degrees of.and it will make a noticeable difference. Truly worth the effort.and when your done,your cam timing knowledge will benefit.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Here is a link for how to degree a cam. It has illustrations. I am going a head cam set up right now. To be honest I was just going to go "dot to dot" After reading this thread and reviewing this link I think I will degree it instead. This kit is $115 which I would not consider to be too expensive to make sure it is done right but I will shop around to see if a cheaper one can be had. It doesnt look to difficult to do. I hope this helps.

http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams...egreeACam.aspx
Old 08-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Here is a video from Comp Cams on how to do it with the heads on

Hopefully this helps as well.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 164 Posts

I am merely restating what has been said on here, so I do not know if it is true, but if anyone on here follows Denmah, you know he builds the sloppy cars. The last Fairmont 5 that he had all of the issues with, well, was down like 200hp, all in the end, ended up being a cam that was off by ~8*. Granted this is a boosted application, and it was a lot, but that is a prime example of WHY a cam should be degreed.

Matt (Denmah) has probably built more cars this year than most of us have in the past 5, and d2d normally works "good enough" but just reading the Farmont 5 build you can feel the aggravation and I couldn't imagine the amount of time he spent chasing the problem. Just my guess is that he will probably degree in the next "High power performer" he builds, or may go back and at least check it after if he can't find his power.

Quick Reply: how to degree a cam