Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New motor..broken oil rings, ever seen anything like it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Then stop I know i'm right. I've been doing this a very long time.....
Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Then stop I know i'm right. I've been doing this a very long time.....
Okay Bro let's call a truce.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Link to video I made showing the difference between one of my broken rings and a stock oil ring. After markets are brittle, stockers aren't
Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

I never seen them like that either. I'm convinced you found your trouble. Way too hard and I'll bet sized wrong.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Those aftermarket piston rings are fine.

The OEM piston rings are thicker and made of a different iron. With more flexibility.

The aftermarket rings are much much thinner and made of ductile iron thus take more abuse but brittle.

nothing wrong here...

Could you have a look at the ring surface please? what do you see?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mchicia1
The rings seat within the first few miles. A couple moderate load pulls with engine braking seats them very quickly. He could have taken it to the track right after he assembled it if he wanted to.

Nothing to do with break in here.
Don't drink the Kool-Aid...It's total BS and mis-information. New engines create more heat and the the bores and the rings do wear over time to mate perfectly. An engine is not ready to go ripping down the strip with only a few minutes of run time.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Don't drink the Kool-Aid...It's total BS and mis-information. New engines create more heat and the the bores and the rings do wear over time to mate perfectly. An engine is not ready to go ripping down the strip with only a few minutes of run time.
my personal experience says otherwise. Patrick Guerra turned on my engine for the first time, tuned it, then we took it out for some 6k pulls with about 20min run time. 4k miles later (including 1 oil analysis) and the engine runs perfect.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
my personal experience says otherwise. Patrick Guerra turned on my engine for the first time, tuned it, then we took it out for some 6k pulls with about 20min run time. 4k miles later (including 1 oil analysis) and the engine runs perfect.
I didn't say if you don't do XXX the engine will fail. All I'm saying is if you don't take the care to break it in right, it is probable to fail. Same thing goes for people shooting 200 shot of nitrous on a stock block. It doesn't mean it will fail, but don't be surprised when it does.

If the rings seat in the first few miles, why do so many people say to run conventional oil for 500, 1000, and even 2000 miles....There are a lot of experts out there and that say one thing and others say another.

If you want your engine to last, there is a right way to do it. Everyday there are post on here about new builds with low to no oil pressure, broken rings, noises, low power etc....All claiming they were built perfect.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Yeah maybe ripping down the strip is a bit much.

I chose somewhere in the middle with mine. I let it idle to operating temp to check for leaks/noises. Then immediately drained the oil. Then I just did varying moderate load runs up to 4000 rpms and engine braked down a few times a day. Changed oil every 250 miles up to 1000 miles, now I am in full 3000 mile cycles. I just used conventional with Rislone ZDDP.

I didn't go full wot to redline until about 300 miles.

This break in resulted in a good ring seal. Zero oil consumption. Plugs bone dry, nothing out the exhaust. Still 7 quarts after 1000 miles.

I still don't think his issue is from break in though. Although, my first motor I did break in very hard from the start and I had 2 cylinders with broken oil rings. What do you think the right way is? Just curious to hear other's opinions.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Well I built a lot of engines, I personally give an engine 300 easy miles then start pushing it a little until there is 1000. From there on its on its own. Ya know engines fail for a lot of different reasons, my opinion is if its built right you still need to heat cycle everything a few times before wringing it out.

Under normal conditions parts are going to run a lot cooler and expand less in a used engine. So you have to give things a little time to wear in. I still wouldn't expect TOTAL ring failure from running a fresh engine hard from the get go. BUT if it was on the tight side to start with I can see how a failure could happen. Fresh engine rebuilt is going to run hot for a bit.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Wiseco makes good pistons with the right taper on the skirts no need to doubt that and the coating on them will give you an extra 0.002" if you even run it to tight but matching pistons to bores is only when you use cheaper pistons and old school ways to do things

OEM blocks are usually 0.0005-0.001 over the bore size and have less then 0.0004" taper

These oil rings are tricky to keep in there.When puting the oil rails on the expander as it tends to want to pop out/overlap or the rails dont seat in the groove

When the oil ring expander overlaps it will score the bores and feel tight to put in and spin over

The oil rings dont need any special treatment or brake in as this is not a dry sump motor
Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ari G
Wiseco makes good pistons with the right taper on the skirts no need to doubt that and the coating on them will give you an extra 0.002" if you even run it to tight but matching pistons to bores is only when you use cheaper pistons and old school ways to do things
my Wiseco piston set had a skirt OD range of 0.0018" max to min. It was higher than I expected it to be. Is that normal? I fit them to the best fitting cylinders.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yes(unless you are talking about the skirt taper?) as the coating will vary,piston it self not much and Dial Calipers vs Micrometer vs Lazer measuring has to do with that tolerance you got

It is good practice to mike them and fit them but not needed
Old 03-30-2013, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by streetknight2
I will post info when I get block to machine shop.

FWIW this was a standard bore engine. Wasn't bored.

The skirt damage appears to be from the broken ring fragments. Cylinder walls have some nasty ridges.
Were these just dropped into untouched and unmeasured cylinders? Wiseco calls for .004 clearance. The pistons should always be measured as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ari G
Yes(unless you are talking about the skirt taper?) as the coating will vary,piston it self not much and Dial Calipers vs Micrometer vs Lazer measuring has to do with that tolerance you got

It is good practice to mike them and fit them but not needed
OD of the bottom of the skirt, measured with a 3-4" mitutoyo 0.0001" micrometer.

even the diameters of the pistons at the ringlands varied up to 0.0019".
Old 03-30-2013, 05:47 AM
TECH Addict

I hate to make a 180 on this.....I think this was a install error. Sorry but the more I look at the facts I'm sure you installed the oil rings improperly.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs up Exactly what I..

Originally Posted by KCS
The expander ends may not have been butting, but overlapping when the pistons went in, which is really easy to do. Either that or the rails may not have had enough gap. Wiseco's oil rails usually have plenty, but I have caught other brands that didn't. I'd bet on the spacer ends overlapping instead of butting.
concluded.
That's why most oil expanders have the ends painted... So the installer can be sure they are not over lapped.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

OD of the bottom of the skirt, measured with a 3-4" mitutoyo 0.0001" micrometer.

even the diameters of the pistons at the ringlands varied up to 0.0019".
Yes at the oil ring land that would not be ok but measuring pistons is not that accurate with a mike even but wiseco will be able to measure them and tell you if there is a runout in them

This is how the aftermarket oil ring rails are made nothing unusual about them being brittle like that
Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts
Arrow

Like Ari said above no problem with the parts. Having done way over 10K probably individual pistons and rings I have only seen stuff like the damage above from butted oil rails etc. or some kind of assembly problems.

Top rings on most new stuff are steel or ductile iron.

Second rings are usually gray iron and can break very easily.

Oil scrapers are usually steel with a chrome or other coatings.

After using Wiseco (NPR rings - very high end) for over a decade never had an issue like that. In fact never had an issue like that with Totals Seals or any other brand either for that matter.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up

my Wiseco piston set had a skirt OD range of 0.0018" max to min. It was higher than I expected it to be. Is that normal? I fit them to the best fitting cylinders.
Diamond has a fixture for mic'ing pistons that make it easy to be consistent but there still is a lil variation although usually less than you were getting. I know you are very detail oriented which is a really good thing with engines so I am not talking about you in particular but I taught people to read micrometers for 7 years and it does take some time for someone not doing it every day year after year.

Quick Reply: New motor..broken oil rings, ever seen anything like it?