Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crankshaft reluctor wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Is the PCM aftermarket or from a factory car ? If its from a factory car you might be having a security issue like a Passive key-II, Also have you tried to start it with starting fluid to see if it will run at all ? Have some one crank the engine and you spray starting fluid threw the TB.
The PCM is from a 2000 firebird and has had a base SD tune done by Speed Inc. I have been working with those guys as well. They assure me VATS has been removed. We have tried starting fluid and all it did was backfire out the intake. I have let the car sit over night. Tried to fire it again today and it backfired out the exhaust real loud. After that I get nothing, just cranks.

Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine had a similar issue, but it would run but only on a few cylinders, no tach, belching fuel, wouldn't rev past 1500, CKP code(s). The engine shop had installed the reluctor wheel backwards. They removed it for balancing.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Mine had a similar issue, but it would run but only on a few cylinders, no tach, belching fuel, wouldn't rev past 1500, CKP code(s). The engine shop had installed the reluctor wheel backwards. They removed it for balancing.
That's where my mind keeps going. Like I said before the mechanic with a scanner said he does not see a RPM signal form the crank sensor. I have gone through 3 new sensors, AC delco, Borg Warner, and Master pro. Harness is good from the sensor to the PCM.

Why does the PCM see no RPM from the crank sensor but I still have spark?

Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you swap in another PCM? From what you describing its screaming something way off in the PCM . Just to see if it starts seeing rpms, If it doesn't then maybe its time to rake a real close look at the reluctor wheel.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Can you swap in another PCM? From what you describing its screaming something way off in the PCM .
I was thinking the same thing, maybe a corrupted file or something. I have a buddy with a head and cam 73 280Z Ls1 car. We tried throwing his PCM in to see if ANYTHING would change. Nothing did, same symptoms.

Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Then I'd be a lookin at that wheel and seeing if its properly installed. What else is left? I would have to say its not seeing any engine rpms because it can't decode what the crank sensor is sending.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Then I'd be a lookin at that wheel and seeing if its properly installed. What else is left? I would have to say its not seeing any engine rpms because it can't decode what the crank sensor is sending.
Here is a pic of the reluctor. Does it look to be in the right location? I made a video of it spinning as the engine was turned over by hand and it looks to be spinning true. Cant get the vid off my cell phone.

Troy
Attached Thumbnails crankshaft reluctor wheel question-imag0147-paint.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just got off the phone with Callies and might have found the issue. Seems they have a problem with the Callies C-series 4.000 crankshaft. They say the counter weight is too close to the reluctor ring and cancels out the signal the sensor should see. That's why I do not see a RPM signal. The counter weight needs to be chamfered away from the ring and sensor.

Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing, disable the fuel system by unplugging all the injectors so you're not spraying fuel.

Then using a spark tester, check each individual cylinder/coil for good strong spark.

Next, pull the #1 spark plug, and using a piston stop, or some other method, indicate #1 TDC as close as possible. Then using a piece of metal coat hanger or welding rod, rig up a pointer, bolt it to the block and point it at the balancer. Then make a mark on the balancer with whiteout or white paint stick or something.

Then, use a timing light to determine if #1 coil is firing in general relation to #1 TDC. It doesn't have to be extremely accurate, but it does have to be accurate enough. If you're off a few degrees, no problem, but you can't be off 90*.

This is just going to diagnose whether or not your timing is close or is off drastically. This method is much easier than finding and using an oscope to determine if the timing is off.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
First thing, disable the fuel system by unplugging all the injectors so you're not spraying fuel.

Then using a spark tester, check each individual cylinder/coil for good strong spark.

Next, pull the #1 spark plug, and using a piston stop, or some other method, indicate #1 TDC as close as possible. Then using a piece of metal coat hanger or welding rod, rig up a pointer, bolt it to the block and point it at the balancer. Then make a mark on the balancer with whiteout or white paint stick or something.

Then, use a timing light to determine if #1 coil is firing in general relation to #1 TDC. It doesn't have to be extremely accurate, but it does have to be accurate enough. If you're off a few degrees, no problem, but you can't be off 90*.

This is just going to diagnose whether or not your timing is close or is off drastically. This method is much easier than finding and using an oscope to determine if the timing is off.

Thank you for taking a look at the thread.

I have looked into that and looked at pictures from the build. But I know for a fact the cam and crank were dot to dot, the cam locating pin was ~3 o'clock, and the crank pin was pointed at #1. I followed the book step by step and adjusted the rockers by the book step by step.

Bottom line is all the diagnostic test I have done tell me I have NO crank signal. Everything is good from the sensor to the PCM. Only piece of the puzzle left is the reluctor ring.

Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, I guess you found why the PCM is not seeing any rpms. Makes sense, Its not going to turn the fuel on until it sees rpms.

I was going to suggest something really far out, but no need now.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, I guess you found why the PCM is not seeing any rpms. Makes sense, Its not going to turn the fuel on until it sees rpms.

I was going to suggest something really far out, but no need now.
Throw it out there, anything is welcomed! That's whats so confusing, it sends fuel and spark.

Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badass99ss
Thank you for taking a look at the thread.

I have looked into that and looked at pictures from the build. But I know for a fact the cam and crank were dot to dot, the cam locating pin was ~3 o'clock, and the crank pin was pointed at #1. I followed the book step by step and adjusted the rockers by the book step by step.

Bottom line is all the diagnostic test I have done tell me I have NO crank signal. Everything is good from the sensor to the PCM. Only piece of the puzzle left is the reluctor ring.

Troy
What I posted has nothing to do with cam/crank timing. It's the best method for determining if the crank reluctor is installed correctly.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you find someone who has an oscilloscope to capture the CKP/CMP waveforms (to see if the reluctor is not backwards by comparing encoded sequence with known good waveform)...

if you find someone who has a 4-channel oscilloscope, they can also capture #1 ignition primary and #1 running compression (cylinder pressure) to provide frames-of-reference to the CKP/CMP waveforms (see what Ed said).

Last edited by joecar; 04-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

What I posted has nothing to do with cam/crank timing. It's the best method for determining if the crank reluctor is installed correctly.
Ok, Ill give it a shot before I tear this apart.

Thanks
Troy
Old 04-12-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The picture is small but it appears the counterweight is wrong. This drove me nuts in the late 90's.....

Kurt
Old 04-12-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, brought #1 to TDC on compression. Marked the balancer and made a pointer. It does not spark on TDC or even close.

Troy

Last edited by badass99ss; 04-13-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:19 AM
TECH Addict

Safe to say its time to pull the engine back out, pull the crank and send it back. I gotta give you pat on the back for stickin in there and finding your trouble.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pulled the front cover and valve covers today. Confirmed the 1x cam is in correctly and the valve train is operating perfectly. Engine is coming out!

Troy
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got the engine out and the pan off. Hard to get a good picture of it, but it looks like the counter weight is brushing up against the crank sensor. Don't know how I over looked the scuffs on the crank sensor before I tore it down. Here are few pics.

Troy
Attached Thumbnails crankshaft reluctor wheel question-014paint.jpg   crankshaft reluctor wheel question-015paint.jpg   crankshaft reluctor wheel question-020paint.jpg   crankshaft reluctor wheel question-017paint.jpg   crankshaft reluctor wheel question-018paint.jpg  

Quick Reply: crankshaft reluctor wheel question