Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve float?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004 | 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default valve float?

okay, i have been reading posts, and the term valve float keeps coming up. what exactly is it? what causes it? and how do you know that you have it? thanks for the help

jimmy
Old 04-22-2004 | 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
okay, i have been reading posts, and the term valve float keeps coming up. what exactly is it? what causes it? and how do you know that you have it? thanks for the help

jimmy
Valve float accures when the lifter fails to follow the cam. In other words the lifter and the cam seperate at high RPM. There is not enough spring pressure to keep the lifter in constant contact with the cam at high rpm's. This is why most guys start using titanium valves and retainers in their heads because they are very lite weight. Thus less moving weight. You can also start using a higher pressure springs like dual springs.
Floating a valve sounds alot like bouncing off the rev limiter. But I promise you floating a valve is a lot harder on your valvetrain than hitting the rev limiter. You may be able to get away with it 10 times or just once. Your valves will be thrown out of time and could possibly hit your pistons.
Old 04-23-2004 | 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh okay, that makes sense, i dont think that i will have to worry about that, i already have dual springs and ti retainers

thanks
jimmy