Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C/I will not stay running..

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C/I will not stay running..

Hey guys, I could use some input on this if anyone has any suggestions. I got my heads/cam/intake Camaro back together tonight, and went to start it. It ran for a second, but as soon as my foot comes off the pedal it dies. When I give it gas it just surges, almost dies, surges, almost dies, and continues on like that. It almost seems like it's not getting enough air to stay running or something.

The car idled fine on the stock tune when it was heads/cam, but now that I got around to swapping the rest of the stuff on (FAST 102, 92mm TB, 85mm MAF, 36lbs injectors, and a mail order base tune) it’s doing this to me..

I didn’t want to mess with it too much because it’s dark out now and the car is open headers, but tomorrow I’m going to go at it again. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the tune is off...but when you go back it double check everything. And make sure you did forget something.like a ground
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Injector data probably not right
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crack your throttle closed stop about a quarter turn to keep the throttle blade opened a hair more, then unplug your tps. Turn your key to the on position for a minute then back off and plug your tps back on. Now, turn key on for a minute or two then back off.

This will reset your tps back to zero.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock idle stop screw is 5/32", or 7/32" Allen head
Old 04-13-2013, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

THANK YOU guys for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

Well, I messed with it again. Swapped my stock MAF back on thinking it was the issue, no luck, same issue. I put the 85mm MAF back on, did a TPS relearn, and tried again. No luck. As long as I keep the throttle pushed in a little bit, it runs (sort of). So, I did what was suggested and turned the screw ¼ turn. It ran slightly better. I went for another ¼ turn, and it even idled at 3-400 rpm with my foot almost completely off the throttle. So I went another half turn (so 1 full turn in total) and it idled for about 30 seconds at 300-400 rpm. While it idles, it makes this strange sucking noise every time the RPM's surge like it's trying to get more air.. So what should I do now? Should I just keep adjusting that screw until it idles correctly? Is it normal to need to adjust it that much with the FAST 92mm TB?

Also, I have my 36lbs injectors in and the base tune adjusted for them, but I have not gotten around to installing my Racetronix pump.. It should still idle fine though, right? Could the injectors (even though it’s only at idle) still be sucking too much fuel for the stock pump to handle? I’m thinking I’m going to try that next..
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Fuel pump is not the issue here. Did you plug your cam sensor back in?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, I didn't mess with the cam sensor at all, so it should still be plugged in. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Here is a video I uploaded as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukdpr...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

throwin it out there... kinda seems possible missfire... check all the wires and plugs, but i also think the tunes off, its just a base tune needs to be dialed in correctly most likely... check the IAC too...
Old 04-13-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would also say the tune is way off. You might have to tow it to your tuner. Definately not the fuel pump though...plenty of guys with H/C/I/E running the stock pump.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Where are you in Ohio?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Are u sure the intake is sealed correctly? any injector orings ripped? sounds stupid but just go over everything you did an make sure its right at that point I would question th tune is off a bit, who did the tune? There a few shops not to far away that can check it.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

I thought I remembered reading stuff about the fast 102 being tuff to tune or tuff to run with out a good tune?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Myne wouldnt run either till frost did my mail order tune then ran perfect
Old 04-14-2013, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you guys for the suggestions! I went through pretty much everything suggested except a re-tune last night, swapped the pump, and adjusted the idle screw another half turn, car started right up and idled around 800 rpm fine

I let it run, put it in gear, let it run more.. even drove it up and down my driveway a few times.. You guys are definitely right, the tune is way off, but at least I’m pretty sure now that’s all that is wrong.. I was afraid of towing it to my tuner and finding out there was a vac leak or some kind of other issue.

THANK YOU ALL for your help!!!

Originally Posted by Go On 3
Are u sure the intake is sealed correctly? any injector orings ripped? sounds stupid but just go over everything you did an make sure its right at that point I would question th tune is off a bit, who did the tune? There a few shops not to far away that can check it.
I triple checked the intake and put RTV on the back, but FAST quality control is laughable at best, and I was really concerned that it still wasn't sealing.. If this issue comes back, that's the next thing I'm checking, thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by Droptopws6
Where are you in Ohio?
30 mins south of Youngstown.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever get to tuning the car?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dirtbag
Ever get to tuning the car?
I have an appointment with my tuner on Wednesday, once I get back home I'll make a thread with the results
Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Could be a vacuum leak too and codes in the obd2
Old 05-03-2013, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I got the car to my tuner, and it was giving him all sorts of issues. It took nearly an hour and a half just to get it tuned enough to idle. He suggested the IAC may need replaced, it was giving him a lot of trouble..

So, my first pull, the car made 441/393.. Then the transmission tail shaft housing cracked, so I loaded it back up for the nearly 4 hour trip back home.

Then, when I got the car back home and tried to cold start it to unload it off the trailer, more issues.. Cold start, it's like it's not even tuned, won't even idle again. It cranks, fires, dies. After it warms up a bit and you put it in gear, it nearly dies, tries to recover, then dies. I'm not sure what it will do warm. It's also now randomly throwing a code for EVAP, which doesn't make any sense either..

Guess I'll try and tackle this in the next two weeks while waiting for my new trans to get here
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What codes are you throwing? I did not read too much into the thread but generally the issue you are having with idling is solved by adjusting that idle screw. Does it sounds like it is actually running right when you have your foot on the gas, or does it sound like it is misfiring and stuff? I know it is hard to tell since it has the cam in it, but it sounds like you are having some sort of issue from building the motor, not from a tune standpoint. My car ran like crap after the head/cam, but it would stay idling for a good two minutes before it would die from idle searching.

Quick Reply: H/C/I will not stay running..