Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with Comp Cams ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Howards Cams makes a "direct lube" lifter with a tiny hole where it contacts the cam lobe. This directs additional oil directly onto the lobe/lifter contact point. They have a mechanical roller cam with a hole to lube the bearing which in turns gets extra oil on the lobe.

I wonder if additional oiling of the lobe would reduce the cam problems discussed here. Aside from the extra lubrication, it'll also reduce (carry away?) some of the heat developed between the roller and the lobe.

I say this because it almost looks like the affected cams have lost their surface heat treatment.
All of the oil drains back on the cam and lifters already, I doubt it will help much.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
All of the oil drains back on the cam and lifters already, I doubt it will help much.
I suppose that's true.

SO, as per newbie NAVYBLUE (welcome to LS1tech!), 1,000 PPM of zinc in the oil and the cats are affected at 50K miles and 800 PPM 100K.

That's not too much of a trade-off to ensure better lubrication.

I'm just hoping to hear more details and testing on the Lucas EOS.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The sky is falling!

Just ordered my OWN PERSONAL comp cams camshaft Thursday for my motor in my race car. My boss Jonathan's camshaft for his 14:1 434 c.i. nitrous motor showed up Friday as well. It's a solid roller cam and will be spun 8,000rpm on the regular.

I will put my faith in their products until I find a first hand reason not too.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I would like to add that I feel is important. A 3/8 pushrods will work in stock heads. Look up rigidity test of 5/16 pushrods vs 3/8, it's a huge difference in stiffness. Much more so than .080 wall vs .100 wall thickness. Always run the biggest diameter pushrod you can. Bigger diameter pushrods can be purchased from comp in 3/8 size for around $100. You pay a premium for thicker wall pushrods. Most aftermarket heads will fit an 11/32 pushrod but you should always double check. I've seen spintron test of 5/16 .080 wall pushrods and on some lobes they start to look like a spaghetti noodle above 6000 rpm. Always run the stiffest pushrod you can there is no downside. Valve control is determined by the weight on the nose of the rocker on the valve side and has little to do with pushrod weight.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the 11/32 was the biggest u can use on a STOCK heads and the 3/8 is for aftermarket heads with some clearing...
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM

I suppose that's true.

SO, as per newbie NAVYBLUE (welcome to LS1tech!), 1,000 PPM of zinc in the oil and the cats are affected at 50K miles and 800 PPM 100K.

That's not too much of a trade-off to ensure better lubrication.

I'm just hoping to hear more details and testing on the Lucas EOS.
Just an FYI, Lubrizol is the company that actually makes the ZDDP the oil marketers use. Lubrizol is one of only 4 companies that make the additive packages that go into the oils. Here is a link to real information...
http://www.gf-5.com/uploads/File/SAE_2007-01-1990.pdf
Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pauls99z28
I thought the 11/32 was the biggest u can use on a STOCK heads and the 3/8 is for aftermarket heads with some clearing...
That's the problem with a large amount of ls guys. They read one thing here or there and opinions quickly become Internet facts. Take a sharpie and check how much clearance there truly is, do it for yourself. No offense to you but from what I've seen ls guys are so spoiled with online information they have become a group of very lazy car guys. This really is not anyone's fault who is just getting into the game, but now a days guys can make power with very little automotive knowledge. That is probably the root cause of many cam failures out there.

How many ls guys truly degree their cam in, how many check seat pressure on their valve springs at regular intervals? Installing a cam "straight up" is not how you degree a cam but is the standard answer. What always gets me is the guys who want a custom cam with specific valve events yet they don't degree their cam to those custom valve events that they paid extra for. Guys just want to slap **** in and run it 50,000 miles because you can find 10 other guys who have "no problems" with their brand xyz springs yet you won't find any Guys with facts posted on seat pressure of their springs with that amount of miles. Valvetrain instability will kill the best parts out there in a hurry. Hell I even see a lot of guys posting dyno graphs where you can clearly see valve float starting around 6000-6200 rpm and they have no clue there is a problem. It's honestly not their fault because 10 guys on tech said it would be ok.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VERY informative thread, this is what the tech section needs!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
That's the problem with a large amount of ls guys. They read one thing here or there and opinions quickly become Internet facts. Take a sharpie and check how much clearance there truly is, do it for yourself. No offense to you but from what I've seen ls guys are so spoiled with online information they have become a group of very lazy car guys. This really is not anyone's fault who is just getting into the game, but now a days guys can make power with very little automotive knowledge. That is probably the root cause of many cam failures out there.
Manton makes a 3/8 that necks down to 5/16 that should fit. You have to check the clearance tho. As with anything. The 11/32 should also fit without problem, so I usually recommend it. And wall thickness matters 0. It's OD that determines the stiffness.

BTW, Brian Tooley offers a 3/8" that's very reasonably priced if you don't need a custom length. I believe it's $105 for the set.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nitroused383

How many ls guys truly degree their cam in, how many check seat pressure on their valve springs at regular intervals? Installing a cam "straight up" is not how you degree a cam but is the standard answer. What always gets me is the guys who want a custom cam with specific valve events yet they don't degree their cam to those custom valve events that they paid extra for. Guys just want to slap **** in and run it 50,000 miles because you can find 10 other guys who have "no problems" with their brand xyz springs yet you won't find any Guys with facts posted on seat pressure of their springs with that amount of miles. Valvetrain instability will kill the best parts out there in a hurry. Hell I even see a lot of guys posting dyno graphs where you can clearly see valve float starting around 6000-6200 rpm and they have no clue there is a problem. It's honestly not their fault because 10 guys on tech said it would be ok.
Whoa Guy Chill!! Actually Thanks for More INFO! and I am not just throwing parts together if that was the case i would've been DONE! Its not and im still in the parts acquiring/research stage. But when you start reading so many threads everything starts to blur so thanks for the heads up. There is alot of Good READ in this and many other forums and hope I can eventually get things together.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Back to the original question

Originally Posted by garygnu
what is going wrong with compcams ?
I can say I have had nothing but great help and support from the guys at Comp Cams. I had catastrophic failure and ended up rebuilding my engine. Gabriel and Brad have been very helpful and supportive through the process. Excellent customer service bar none!

TT
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
There is plenty of proof. What I've found is some victims don't want to bash the vendor that sold the cam, or put them in the middle of it. Recently several guys lost new engines BC of comp cams. Sometimes you have to personally know the people to see the proof firsthand. However, I had one years ago and I didn't have trouble with it. I'm running a can motion now. If vendors are changing suppliers pay attention, BC they would not do that unless there was a guaranteed problem somewhere.
Vendors change products for reasons other than the manufacturer of said part having "issues" all the time.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick

I will put my faith in their products until I find a first hand reason not too.
Amen...

Now can the mod please remove this thread, I dont think it a good idea to have hear say information about comp cams (no disrespect intended) floating around LS1tech
Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Martin you order the billet upgrade
Old 04-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
Amen...

Now can the mod please remove this thread, I dont think it a good idea to have hear say information about comp cams (no disrespect intended) floating around LS1tech
Why does it need to be removed?? Lot of good info in here. Is it hurting sales??
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Sarg
Martin you order the billet upgrade
No, it is the normal 54-000-11 part number. I will post pictures if need be to show that I still put my own personal trust in their product. If I am proved otherwise I will recant my statements.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by pauls99z28
Why does it need to be removed?? Lot of good info in here. Is it hurting sales??
I agree. There's also info In this thread about how and why camshafts fail when it's NOT the camshaft's fault.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 PM
FormerVendor

I agree. There's also info In this thread about how and why camshafts fail when it's NOT the camshaft's fault.
Paul,

You know as well as I do that there will members that are just pain stricken in fear right now because they "read it on the internet" that their cam is going to fail.

It's just the way it is though. You can lead a horse to water...
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Paul,

You know as well as I do that there will members that are just pain stricken in fear right now because they "read it on the internet" that their cam is going to fail.

It's just the way it is though. You can lead a horse to water...

Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
Amen...

I don't think when you have people like Damian, Geoff and other reputable people saying this it isn't hear say.

Quick Reply: What's up with Comp Cams ?