Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with Comp Cams ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E DRAMA.

I am glad to read all of it though. I was getting ready to order a custom grind on a comp core with LSL lobes. That won't be happening now.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I do want to add that I am happy Kip is on here and I think he will only better this site and give us guys years and years worth of his valuable knowledge. It is ok to have multiple "gurus" on the same forum who don't always have the same ideas and concepts. There is plenty of business to go around.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktransam
He in a different choice of words called cam motion liars for saying they wanted to help and said they were using this to achieve a share of the market.
I see. I see nothing wrong with Kip providing a solution to the problem and then using that to gain customers. He is a sponsor on here and has the right to do so. With that said, I still commend Jonathan for what he wrote and how he handled the situation, just like the owner and representative of a well renowned business should.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

He in a different choice of words called cam motion liars for saying they wanted to help and said they were using this to achieve a share of the market.
I have to say, this is how I interpreted it as well.

Kip deserves the business because he was the only one with a solution. Go read through that thread. See if any other vendors had any input or solutions before he came.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
This thread is not about a pitty party or who provides customer service.

The issue here is a machining process that has not been discussed before and now is on the table for discussion. I learned something new as well.

There is a vendor feedback section if a vendor wants to explain his or hers commitment and quality of service of its employees, not here.

Now Kip(Cammotion), Lunati, Comp, etc.. who are actually designing the lobes, cutting, grinding, and machining the lobes are really the only people who need to be talking about the issue from a methods and processes stand point.

Thanks Kip for providing us with your hypothesis and providing a solution to the problem.
Agreed.

The vendors really should stay out of this. It has nothing to do with you except from a marketing standpoint. The SUPPLIER(s) are having problems.

Kip is a supplier. He understands the manufacturing of a cam and cam core. His insights are much appreciated.

If Comp wants to discuss technical issues in this thread, we welcome them. Same for Lunati.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Are you sure youre not just trying to interpret it that way because in no way did i get that from his post.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just from what I have noticed, real world experience has been changing a lot over the last 40 years. No one has 20+ years of LSx. Yes, I know the principles are generally the same, but the game has and is changing pretty frequently and a lot since the inception of this board. I am kind of tired of the age thing being a deciding factor in whether or not someone knows what they are talking about. There are mechanics out there that are just as terrible as the tax accountant trying to change their own throttle body in the apartment parking lot. Both having years upon years of experience in what they do.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Are you sure youre not just trying to interpret it that way because in no way did i get that from his post.
I didn't get that either, thought it was sincere...
Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
This thread is not about a pitty party or who provides customer service.

The issue here is a machining process that has not been discussed before and now is on the table for discussion. I learned something new as well.

There is a vendor feedback section if a vendor wants to explain his or hers commitment and quality of service of its employees, not here.

Now Kip(Cammotion), Lunati, Comp, etc.. who are actually designing the lobes, cutting, grinding, and machining the lobes are really the only people who need to be talking about the issue from a methods and processes stand point.

Thanks Kip for providing us with your hypothesis and providing a solution to the problem.
I must say that I agree with this as well. I felt I needed to make a statement based on the turn this thread took as well as the other thread elsewhere which could do damage to our business. No pity party from us...we will continue to provide the customer service we're known for.

I haven't read the whole thread, and I don't plan to. If Comp didn't have a representative in here while people were having issues, then Cam Motion has every right to come in here and offer their services. Martin should have forwarded this to our Comp representative and let them handle it. It goes back to the part in my post where I stated that Martin should learn how to pick his battles. I'm not saying that Cam Motion ever did anything wrong, and I'm definitely not saying that they had no desire to help someone with a problem. Although I suppose I can't know for absolute certainty that Kip helped those in need for no other reason than he wanted to help someone in need, I can only assume that his support was also expected to generate sales....as it certainly has from those he actually helped as well as several others in this thread now choosing not to purchase Comp cams. Business is business.

Our relationship with Comp is strong and we'll continue to do business with them as I feel they have great quality products, outstanding service, and very quick turn-around. Hopefully in the future they (Comp) will act quickly when problems arise so that we their vendor can continue to sell their products with confidence.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's exactly it. The vendor is going to take care of issues for the customer, but Comp is ignoring the situation. Customers have tried contacting Comp, but they simply say "we haven't heard any issues". If i were a vendor for them, it's simple, i'd drop them. If Tick really sells 150 cams/mo, that loss is business would surely get their attention.

Comp puts out a product with quick turn aound, wow that's great. It's not hard to make a product quickly if you ignore QC.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For me, this picture pretty much sums it up . . . When I get my custom cam, it will NOT be ground by COMP CAMS . . . It will take quite a while to restore my trust in their products and I will need to hear that nothing like this has been going on, for quite a long period of time, in order to allow "in stock" Vendor items to have been sold and re-stocked with new parts after they have been corrected by COMP . . . We are talking about 2 years +/-, as I see it.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

What's the source of that picture?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hopefully that is the trash pile at a manufacturer.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
What's the source of that picture?
Posted earlier in this thread by Damian in POST #31

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...mp-cams-2.html

Along with this pic, too . . .

Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Martin@Tick has been working with "Billy@Comp", whom I believe to be Billy Godbold, the Engineering Group Leader at Comp Cams.

Here is a "rah-rah" article from 2011, BEFORE these problems appeared . . . Makes me wonder how much was only "HYPE", given what we see now.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...hining-237600/
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also . . .

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...e/viewall.html
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also . . .

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...e/viewall.html
Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 PM