Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with Comp Cams ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pulled my new Comp Cam out after 2000 miles, had a procharger sounding whine from first start up. put in new Cam Motion cam and all whine went away. Old cam had chatter marks on all lobes horrible quality control. check out the thread on whining cams it tells the whole story on Comp Cams
Old 04-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eps ftw
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
What lobes does your Comp cam have? It's the more aggressive lobe designs that are having the most problems, which makes total sense.
I actually never asked lol. But it's a mild street cam spec'd out for daily driving, so I can't imagine the lobes are too aggressive. None the less it's a Comp Cam though. Brian Tooley springs and 7.4'' rods.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NuckenFuts
Eps ftw
I have an older EPS cam that was made by Comp. No problems yet fingers crossed. Use the right oil and valvetrain is perfect. Going to test springs this summer
Old 05-01-2014, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Mine was an EPS cam from 2012 on a Comp core and Geoff stepped up to the plate and hooked me up with Kip from Cam Motion and got the problem all taken care of with great customer service after the sale. If you want to learn more about this problem talk with Kip he will tell you the story strait up with all the facts, everything he told me to look for on my old cam was right there when it was looked at in the right light.

Thanks Geoff and Kip you guys are the best, and best of all that whine is gone!!!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewt...art=60#p495223

The CNC Landis grinders also have issues with the servo controls that leave lines on the lobes, and requires the lobes to be polished afterwards.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I have an older EPS cam that was made by Comp.
My buddy's is this exact cam, ground by comp in 2010 should he have any issues? FWIW he runs German Castrol too.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Just got my cam installed on my c5 I ordered it one month ago I paid $411 for the cam and $1000 for the install. The car has the dreaded comp cam whine. I'm extremely bummed how do I go about recovering my money from comp cams?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SCHP98ls1B4C
Just got my cam installed on my c5 I ordered it one month ago I paid $411 for the cam and $1000 for the install. The car has the dreaded comp cam whine. I'm extremely bummed how do I go about recovering my money from comp cams?
If you are suggesting that Comp Cams will reimburse you for expenses over and above the cost of their product, I would not get your hopes up.

As for the cam itself, if you send it back, they should polish it for you. Or, you could just put a Cam Motion cam in it. They polish all of their cams after grinding as standard procedure to assure quiet operation.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All this **** talking about COMP. All I can say is my cam is a comp grind and it's been nothing less than perfect.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
If you are suggesting that Comp Cams will reimburse you for expenses over and above the cost of their product, I would not get your hopes up.

As for the cam itself, if you send it back, they should polish it for you. Or, you could just put a Cam Motion cam in it. They polish all of their cams after grinding as standard procedure to assure quiet operation.
I'm out like $1500 dollars it's a sick feeling my stomach is turning I feel sad like I was robbed.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SCHP98ls1B4C
I'm out like $1500 dollars it's a sick feeling my stomach is turning I feel sad like I was robbed.
I hear ya man. This hobby can be expensive. Spending money twice sure does not help.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
All this **** talking about COMP. All I can say is my cam is a comp grind and it's been nothing less than perfect.
It may be a lot of **** talking but there is a reason for it. It's awesome yours is good and obviously not every one is bad. But it shouldn't be an issue in the first place, anyone who reads this thread and thinks it's anything else but the cam has their blinders on.especially since polishing the cam or switching to a cam motion core fixes the problem
Old 11-15-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not **** talking when there is proof...
Old 11-15-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I would not call it **** talking, I call it stating the facts. Anyway I am still installing a comp cam over the winter. Never had a issue with comp in the past and a few cases of cam whine reported on the internet does not really bother me.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I......don't get it. Because your's is fine that guarantees every other cam Comp has produced is fine too? So everyone else is lying and Comp is perfect? You are vouching for Comp's 100% success rate in cam manufacturing? Posts like yours make people dumber!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I......don't get it. Because your's is fine that guarantees every other cam Comp has produced is fine too? So everyone else is lying and Comp is perfect? You are vouching for Comp's 100% success rate in cam manufacturing? Posts like yours make people dumber!
I think you might be putting words in his mouth. I'm kind of with him on this one. Now, I'm not saying that Comp has a 100% success rate but for everyone to get scared of using one of their cams is just ridiculous.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Mines been perfectly fine, bought about 8 months ago and ground at a local shop..

COMP is probably the top selling cam so you will have more people with issues, more cams sold the higher the percentage of people with issues. Not everybody breaks them in properly either, I've seen people first hand do this,they get the cam installed and want to rev this **** out of it and go drive it hard right away to see the New cam in action.

Anything mass produced will have a higher percentage of feedback and somes gona be negative. And a higher number of bad cams slip through QA.
Just like When you pull a brand new part out of the box from another performance company and it's bad, it happens. And usually is corrected with a new part from the company,

I had a brand new pcm from gm bad out of the box. So does that make GM bad? Of course not
Old 11-16-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are 27 pages of people having problem with comp cams. Saying this is a minor QC hiccup is ludacris. Show me a 27 page thread where people have problems with other grinders like cam motion? Bottom line its a tooling issue that comp refuses to recognize.

I hear you on the pcm thing. But if there was a 27 page thread with people getting DOA pcms. Would you agree that the manufacturer of the pcm (delphi) had an issue? Of course you would.

Now granted as you said cam motion is a smaller operation however they did have an issue similar to this in 2006, realized it, and then corrected it. Since then not one complaint. Now comp has the same issue but instead of admitting there is a problem and rectifying it at the source they simply send out cams with a pretty high failure rate (evident by this thread) and only fix it when a gun is put to their head.

I invite anyone here to get in contact with comp customer service and see how helpful they really are. Especially when you have an issue like this an no big name sponsor backing you. I'll give you a hint, they SUCK.

Comp obviously is turning out good cams because this thread would be even longer if not. How its still unacceptable. For me the evidence presented here and elsewhere about the QC (whining, cam's hardening coming apart, cams being ground several degrees off) would lead me to go to cam motion which uses a better 8620 cam core to start with and doesnt have these issues.

Last edited by redbird555; 11-16-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

If there were 27 bad pcm I would assume there was a bad batch or a quality control issue and not blame the company, quality can differ based on the quality staff alone and what they consider acceptable, I.e who's running what machines,inspecting what and maybe there cnc machine was due for calibration and so on...

This doesn't mean your wrong because there are obviously people having problems backing you up. But that doesn't mean comp cam is forever junk, I'm sure they will, if not are already fix the problem,

since they don't plan to stop making cams
I'm sure they will satisfy any customer who bought directly from them and not used or anything, but I'm not 100% on that as I've never had a problem to call them about. Glad I didn't get a bad one lol

Quick Reply: What's up with Comp Cams ?