Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with Comp Cams ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What materials are used in Lunati and other cams?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
I apologize. My mind will shoot off into left field on me causing me to forget certain things before I finalize a post.

The majority of the lobe failures I saw were XE-R and LSL. Most lifters looked like GM stuff, although I have personally seen & repaired a Comp failure that took out some Morel link bars. Oils? Dunno. Most of these cars have run their course and are in need of repair by the time I see them.

That statement tells me a cheaper/softer core is being sold to the public. As one of Comps vendors Martin, I'd advise your Comp rep to discontinue this cheaper core before they damage their reputation any further.

I'm about done in this one but I'll touch on one last thing. The oil argument can only go so far when you've got other cam vendors having no issues. Since switching to Cam Motion 3 years ago I've been averaging 20-30 cam installs a year. In those 3 years, I have yet to have one come back with an issue. It is what it is, gentleman. I'm sure reputable vendors like Tick will do what's in their power to ensure their customers are taken care of and hopefully the nudge from them (and others) will force Comp to step up their game as well. As Patrick touched on, keeping up with demand can be tough but I think at this point raising prices a few bucks and using better metals is gonna be a heck of a lot better than having 100's of people across the US talking about their cam failures in front of thousands of people on forums..

I'm gonna make like a baby and head on out.
I know what you mean about wandering off the wrong path when I get rolling talking about cams lol!

I'm sure Comp is watching this thread so no need for me to tell them really. I believe a 5150 core is what is normally used, but not 100% on that. Same core that's been used for 10/20/30 years before I'm sure.

Just to play devil's advocate, and I know you said you were leaving and I'm not baiting you in any way...but how can you be so sure the cam took the lifter out? You honestly don't know for sure unless you spintron test it for hours on end until it happens in front of you. No offense, but you assumed the cam took the lifter out not the lifter taking the cam out which we've seen just this year with a LSK lobed cam with too much open spring pressure(approaching 490lbs.).

So the failures you saw were of the more aggressive lobe type it seems. Although I believe Tooley has done plenty of spintron and cam analysis that points to the XE-R being much more aggressive than a LSL lobe.

Thank you for the kind words about our business though, it is much appreciated and I respect you for your opinions. NO hard feelings on my end.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

It was asked what setups were used in cam failures. I don't know if that was a general question to anyone of specifically for Damian. This is, well was my setup;

Stock 346 short block
EPS 226/230 .598/600 lift on 112+2 LSA
TEA 5.3 1.5 heads w/ Comp 921's set at 1.72
Trick Flow pushrods
Stock rockers w/ trunion upgrade
Stock lifters
Mobil 1 5w30

The ONLY reason I posted the pics of the cam before Comp has looked at it is because Geoff said it was cam failure. I'm shipping the cam back tomorrow and will not say anything negative towards Comp at this time.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Just to play devil's advocate, and I know you said you were leaving and I'm not baiting you in any way...but how can you be so sure the cam took the lifter out? You honestly don't know for sure unless you spintron test it for hours on end until it happens in front of you. No offense, but you assumed the cam took the lifter out not the lifter taking the cam out which we've seen just this year with a LSK lobed cam with too much open spring pressure(approaching 490lbs.).
I'll bite, no problem. Can I be 100% sure it's alwaysthe cam causing the failure? Absolutely not. I don't have the equipment to confirm such a claim. I also know for a fact that it has been the reverse effect in lifters killing a camshaft, as I too have seen that in my experience. My generalization towards Comp is based on the law of averages. If I'd only seen 1 or 2 dead sticks then sure, but I've pulled way too many to continue placing the blame on oil/lifters/installers. At some point you've got to stop and point the finger at the source.

490lbs ..... I never run a heavy spring. I do not believe the harmonics of most heavier duals are nearly as good as a quality beehive @ high rpm. And then you've got cam lobe crushing 450-500lb open pressures that are absolutely unnecessary. I run the PSI1511 ML's most of the time. It's an excellent spring that doesn't smash the lifter/camshaft. If I need more insurance for a rowdy lobe with higher lift I've recently switched to the BTR's and have been happy with them. Brian and I go way back. It's been a pleasure using his products so far.

So the failures you saw were of the more aggressive lobe type it seems. Although I believe Tooley has done plenty of spintron and cam analysis that points to the XE-R being much more aggressive than a LSL lobe.
Brian and I too have talked about it, quite recently actually. The XE-R was great for what it was when it first came out. It revolutionized the game really. Back when cams were struggling to eclipse 400rwhp in a stock headed car the XE-R came out and started breaking records everywhere. But, it's a mean & nasty lobe with a lot of jerk and violence. One reason they're so damn noisy (most of the time).

Thank you for the kind words about our business though, it is much appreciated and I respect you for your opinions. NO hard feelings on my end.
Any time. Tick is a reputable company I respect. I have no beef with you guys nor was anything I said in this thread directed towards you. Joey even went out of his way recently to give a customer of mine his money back even after my customer was extremely rude to him on the phone. Nothing but respect from this end gentleman.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just curious I have a few more miles to go before I take my brake in oil out, I have the Lucas zinc brake in additive in it, should I use it agin with my oil change ? Also have a comp cam
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are two Spintron charts showing what I described in my other post. This is what happens with too little pushrod stiffness. No lobe will survive this except maybe an 8620 core or equivalent.

I also believe the problem demonstrated is the reason why so many guys fail solid roller lifters. You can't hammer the lifters onto the lobe like that and not knock out needle bearings and spread the forks on the lifter body.

I hope this helps some of you understand what's going in with the valvetrain a little better.

Spintron pics are courtesy of 3V Performance.
Attached Thumbnails What's up with Comp Cams ?-brandy8200.jpg   What's up with Comp Cams ?-brandy8600.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damian, how do you feel beehive springs hold up in a forced induction application where you have more pressure pushing against the valves? At what point do you think duals are necessary?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We use comp cam all the time. In 10 years I've seen 1 cam failure caused by hardness of the metal. No issue's and we've pulled alot lately to go with bigger cams.

What I have seen though is cam/lifter failures caused by oil. All different makes with the same ground down lifter/cam. All have started about a year ago when the zinc was taken out of a lot of oils.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Good
Here are two Spintron charts showing what I described in my other post. This is what happens with too little pushrod stiffness. No lobe will survive this except maybe an 8620 core or equivalent.

I also believe the problem demonstrated is the reason why so many guys fail solid roller lifters. You can't hammer the lifters onto the lobe like that and not knock out needle bearings and spread the forks on the lifter body.

I hope this helps some of you understand what's going in with the valvetrain a little better.

Spintron pics are courtesy of 3V Performance.
8000rpm+?

Are these LS cam lobes or is this just a generic example?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarg
Damian, how do you feel beehive springs hold up in a forced induction application where you have more pressure pushing against the valves? At what point do you think duals are necessary?
I've had great luck with beehives & FI but it's all in how you set it up. You can get away with a whole lot of stuff the internet experts say can't be done with a good quality 135lb seat/370lb open spring. It's all in the setup.

The Brian Tooley Racing (BTR) sells some nice dual spring kits if you want the extra insurance and a less stressful "drop in & go" type of spring.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
We use comp cam all the time. In 10 years I've seen 1 cam failure caused by hardness of the metal. No issue's and we've pulled alot lately to go with bigger cams.

What I have seen though is cam/lifter failures caused by oil. All different makes with the same ground down lifter/cam. All have started about a year ago when the zinc was taken out of a lot of oils.
Any recommendation on oil? I know the m1 0w40 we use still (last I saw) has a higher amount of ZDDP than the typical off shelf oil. Not sure if they messed with that oil or not.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM
FormerVendor

I prefer duals for the simple fact that if a spring breaks you've got an inner or an outer to save your *** from dropping a valve into your motor.

BTR has the best prices and quality spring kits on the market IMO with spring pressures that will not wreck your valve-train. As long as you're not using a XE-R or LSK lobe, Brian's Platinum springs will handle pretty much any camshaft that is being used with stock rockers sub 7500rpm.

VR1 10w-30 conventional for oil guys! If not run a zinc additive like Damian suggested.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Any recommendation on oil? I know the m1 0w40 we use still (last I saw) has a higher amount of ZDDP than the typical off shelf oil. Not sure if they messed with that oil or not.
It has been recommended for an oil to have 1400 ppm or more of zinc but that number is always being debated. IMO the Valvoline VR1 10w30 synthetic or conventional is the best oil going and is easy to find.

Last edited by 87silverbullet; 04-26-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a thread.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
8000rpm+?

Are these LS cam lobes or is this just a generic example?

Those charts are from a SBC. They're just an example of loft/separation on the opening side of the lobe caused by pushrod flex.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
What a thread.
it certainly has been an eye opener.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

People have mentioned high pressure springs, heavy valves, flimsy pushrods, oils and such as the problem, but these same setups are being used on other cams and those cams are living. Not only that, some pics showing the opening ramp worn, and that cant be blamed on polevaulting the pushrod.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
People have mentioned high pressure springs, heavy valves, flimsy pushrods, oils and such as the problem, but these same setups are being used on other cams and those cams are living. Not only that, some pics showing the opening ramp worn, and that cant be blamed on polevaulting the pushrod.
Cam Motion has XE-R and LSK lobes?

Originally Posted by Greg Good
Those charts are from a SBC. They're just an example of loft/separation on the opening side of the lobe caused by pushrod flex.
Greg is saying here that loft and the push rod deflecting occurs on the opening ramp which would wear the opening ramp side of the lobe.....

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 04-26-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

How do I find out what lobes are on my cam. Call speed inc?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ds98formula
How do I find out what lobes are on my cam. Call speed inc?
should say on your cam card

Quick Reply: What's up with Comp Cams ?