Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I found the problem to my plug fouling!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry I think I found the problem to my plug fouling!

Well, as you all know I've been having problems with my car fouling my #5 plug. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/163461-what-causes-1-fouled-plug.html) Well after looking the plugs over again we noticed that they were all sorta getting cover with soot.

So today I pulled the intake manifold, and what did I find. I found the intake runners of my new stage 2 heads completely coated with oil. The damn PCV system is just blowing oil into the manifold and screwing up the plugs. The number #5 seemed to be fouling first because that's where the puddle was. There was actually oil running along the outer edges of the runners.

So in the two weeks since my heads were installed my car seems to have blown at least a quart of oil into there. Explaining my smoking on startup and after short drives and the random misfires I've been getting.

Thanks for all of your responses. I'll be doing the PCV mod and installing an oil catch can.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the AMW catch can! Its the best around. I too have been through the oil in the intake thing http://community.webshots.com/photo/...91603833OAyZkP That is with 1000 miles on a new motor.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that sux dude hope you get it straitened out.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:08 AM
TECH Addict

Default One more question on this subject?

I was reading some older post on the crankcase pressure, and I believe it was JMX that mentioned:

After adding a cam that crankcase pressure is alot higher than if you were still running the stock cam.

I noticed that the oil in my intake manifold didn't really become overwhelming until after my TR230 cam and head swap. Just thought that I would put this back out there for those that are doing cam swaps and haven't done the LS6 PCV conversion yet.

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Well...
After doing the PCV mod that I found on install university, and running a can of the GM topend aresol spray through the car. Everything is clean and the damn #5 plug is fouling again and the SES light is back.

I guess that I'm going to pull the valvespring and check the valve seal. If that isn't the problem then I guess I'm gonna have to pull the head to see if I bent a valve..