Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom grind cam selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom grind cam selection

hello, i have a 2000 camaro ss m6 and I plan on spending money on it this summer my overall end goal is 450 WHP, With a cam, NO Spray or forced induction

what all do i need to get to my goal, i already plan on replacing the clutch with a clutch masters fx300. other then that i have nothing set in stone let me know what you guys think. cheaper is always better.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

LT headers with exhaust
Intake (LS6 or FAST)
CNC your stock heads (AI with proper chambers for chosen cam)
Cam
Injectors (min SVO 30lbs)
Fuel pump+ harness (Racetronix)
light flywheel
Professional tune
Probably will need dif. gears
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Ok all of that sounds good and do able
Where would I go to get my heads cnced and what kind of cam do you think would get me there I was looking at Texas speed and there custom grind page has about a hundred different combos to chose from
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Advanced Induction to CNC your stock heads with their program 999+springs or weld up the chambers and CNC 1199 + springs (BTR $300). Cam - talk to Martin @ Tick Performance or Geoff @ EPS.

I will say the TSP 1-7/8" Stainless Headers and Y-Pipe is a terrific value. It's a little more than the Pacesetters, but it's stainless and has larger primaries for more power (yes, larger primaries don't hurt anything on an LS1 - they love to breathe).

Everything else Pred said is a good baseline for what you want that doesn't cost very much.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please feel free to give us a call. WE have a long history of custom specing cams and I'm sure we can get you where you want to be. Stay tuned to our website. We gathered parts for a fellow with a very low mileage SS car which pretty much the same goals. He is going to install the parts himself and bring it to us for a tune later.

We are going with a

Custom cam by us
Ported 243 heads from AI
Fast 90/90 intake
Injectors
Pump
Airlid
Kooks 1 7/8's headers

etc.

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Custom Camshafts & Valvetrain - Remote HPtuners Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Old 05-02-2013, 05:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the mention Jake. 450rwhp is a walk in the park for a Advanced Induction cylinder headed engine with one of our camshafts. I feel to hit your goal you do not need a custom camshaft as we have proven time and time again to make enough power and run great times at the track with our off the shelf camshafts such as the Polluter and TorqueMAX camshafts.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Teching In

ok thanks you guys for the responses. as far as what cam i should go with i had a look at the tick performance web page and which would you recommend for me to go with the polluter V1/V2 or the torqueMAX Stage 1-3 or 1-3 Milder? thanks and i look forward to our business together.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NebHuskersCamaro
ok thanks you guys for the responses. as far as what cam i should go with i had a look at the tick performance web page and which would you recommend for me to go with the polluter V1/V2 or the torqueMAX Stage 1-3 or 1-3 Milder? thanks and i look forward to our business together.
With your goal of 450rwhp there are several cams we offer that will get the job done and some that would possibly put you over your goal of 450rwhp. If you're going to run a LS6 intake you will need a bigger camshaft to hit 450rwhp than you would need if you run a Fast intake.

I always stress to my customers that the Fast intake should be one of the last modifications done to a H/C build. The amount of money you spend on the intake, rails, cross over, throttle body, new injectors etc. etc. etc. to gain 10-20rwhp could of been put into a nitrous kit, or a nice set of CNC ported cylinder heads for much more return on the dollar.

That said, to hit 450rwhp with a LS6 intake and a set of Ai CNC ported you would need our Stage 3 TorqueMAX camshaft. We offer a LS1 and a LS2 version and the LS2 version actually has less overlap than the LS1 version so it will drive better in that aspect. I would say with the LS2 Stage 3 and Ai 226cc 243 castings you could make 440-450rwhp if the dyno isn't super stingy. If you wanted a guaranteed 450rwhp+, you're going to need a Polluter camshaft or the LS1 Stage 3 TorqueMAX camshaft. I would personally choose the V.2 Polluter as it has been shown to make more under the curve power than the V.1, drive better and not sacrifice any peak horsepower or torque to do so.

If you went with a Fast intake you could run our Stage 2 TorqueMAX camshaft that is extremely popular right now due to it's milder driving characteristics, choppy idle, massive low end torque and the peak numbers it is capable of pumping out. FEAR LS on here made 450/427 on a Mustang Dyno and 465/430 on a Dyno Jet with the Stage 2 TorqueMAX cam, TEA CNC Stage 2 243 heads and a Fast 92/95 intake set-up.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem, just be sure you discuss your options before pulling the trigger. Making 450 Rwhp will not be much of a problem but making sure the car has plenty of power down low while reaching your goal is critical.

There is nothing more relevant to this than the LS3/ rectangular port head cams.
A bunch of guys are using the wrong cam all together. Sure they make 480-500 Rwhp but they literally make less power than stock up till 3500 rpm and the down low is miserable especially in a 3800 pound car with 29 inch tall tire and 3.42's. Our cams are almost always smaller by a good margin, drive wonderfully, oh and make at least the same or more power!

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Custom Camshafts & Valvetrain - Remote HPtuners Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Teching In

hey again, i found ls1 heads that are ported to 241 for cheap and was wondering if those would work close enough to the same as the 243 or atleast still be able to get me to my 450 hp goal.

and also what size of fuel injector/pump would be good.

Also i was looking at the tick performance page and i was thinking of going with the SPEC stage 3 clutch instead of the clutch masters fx300, good idea or bad?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Monster Stage 2 would be my choice.

What about the heads - who ported them?

One other head option that's pretty cheap and excellent is Livernois.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I have hear good things about Monster. ($$), the heads with a 241 the guy did it himself. i think i might go with that because he is wanting to get rid of them for cheap.

My plan so far:
the polluter v2 cam package from tick which includes pushrods ect.
the 241 heads (if that will work)
spec stage 3 clutch and resurface my flywheel
and what ever pump injectors will be enough to get me to 450
ls6 intake if i can find one

does that sound like a combo that can produce 450 to you guys?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Depends on the heads. If he ruined them, then no. If he is somehow magical, then you might hit the number. You'd probably be better off just finding some used 243s or goto Thompson - they sell rebuilt ones for 599.

Get the Monster kit from Tick:

http://www.tickperformance.com/monst...-capacity-550/
Old 05-08-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a fast 92 or 102 intake .consider a vengeance racing head/cam pkg,the vrx5 cam will do it.or consider a Texas Speed 225 cast heads with a torquerv3 cam.a trick flow 220 cast head with a EPS cam will make 450 rwhp.you will need 36# or bigger injectors.the TSP heads work with stock GM rockers.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

hey again, i found ls1 heads that are ported to 241 for cheap and was wondering if those would work close enough to the same as the 243 or atleast still be able to get me to my 450 hp goal.

and also what size of fuel injector/pump would be good.

Also i was looking at the tick performance page and i was thinking of going with the SPEC stage 3 clutch instead of the clutch masters fx300, good idea or bad?
I have never used or heard of a clutch masters clutch. On the other hand Spec is a clutch that we've personally used in our customers cars and personal cars with great success. They do have a little stiffer pedal feel than other clutches, but hold up great at the track. The Spec clutches HAVE to be shimmed though!

The Monster as Jake mentioned is a great choice as well and we sell a lot more Monster clutches than Spec. That is not because of quality or reliability, just personal preference I would say.
I have hear good things about Monster. ($$), the heads with a 241 the guy did it himself. i think i might go with that because he is wanting to get rid of them for cheap.

My plan so far:
the polluter v2 cam package from tick which includes pushrods ect.
the 241 heads (if that will work)
spec stage 3 clutch and resurface my flywheel
and what ever pump injectors will be enough to get me to 450
ls6 intake if i can find one

does that sound like a combo that can produce 450 to you guys?
We've made 420-430rwhp/390-398rwtq cam only with LS6 intake, 1x7/8" headers and true duals many times before with the V.2 Polluter camshaft. If the heads are actually nice and the porter who ported them did a good job you can hit 450rwhp easily.

You'll want to go with a racetronix fuel pump kit with a hotwire harness which we sell on our website as well. I would go with at least 36lb. injectors and honestly I'd grab some 42lb. injectors over the 36lb. injectors.

We can take care of you as a one stop shop for everything you're looking for! Makes it very easy and hassle free as well! Did I mention free shipping?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Do you think I need the titanium retainers with stock rocker arms and the polluter v2 cam?

And thanks for all the replies guys it is really helping.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Teching In

and also would it be ok if i went with the 60 or 65 lb injector cause they are 200 bucks cheaper then the 42lb or can i just go with the 36 and by fine cause that is another 150 cheaper then the 60. thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Buy the FIC flow-matched Bosch EV14s... Smallest is 52lbs but they are easier to tune than most 42s. And have a superior spray pattern for an NA LS1.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 PM
FormerVendor

Do you think I need the titanium retainers with stock rocker arms and the polluter v2 cam?

And thanks for all the replies guys it is really helping.
No, tool steel is perfectly fine. We run that combo all the time with TS retainers with no issues.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Teching In

ok. and what about the oil pump, need to be upgraded to the standard gm volume for 95 bucks?

Quick Reply: custom grind cam selection