Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

okay to remove main/rod bearings then reuse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

You will do as you want BUT those bearing are being destroyed by something AFTER the oil filter. That means the ENTIRE oil gallery is contaminated with metal. Replacing these bearings is A COMPLETE WASTE unless you solve the problem and completely clean out the gallery and find the source of the metal. Anything else is spinning your wheels.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 05-04-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by RotaryResurrection
Mine don't look quite as nice as those...but all are pretty similar to the lower half in the last pic. One did have a mild groove on one edge, and one main did have a mild groove in the center.

They may not be perfect, but they're not the cause of the problem. The engine lost 25psi of oil pressure all at once after 40 miles of run time after the swap/startup. That won't happen because of mild bearing/journal wear. It pretty much has to be a bad oil pump or a gnarled up bearing somewhere.

Right?

I agree they are not the cause of the problem. But they are getting junk in them from whatever is. Since you just did a cam swap and then the issue, you will probably find a bad cam bearing or cam.
Your gut will tell you, you have experience.

I'm no different by the way, always "hope" it something simple, but the clues will lead you to the issue.

The engine I'm working on came from the boneyard, it's an L33, and who knows whit oil pressure it had. Although it does seem quite nice inside. Haven't decided if I'll re-use the bearings yet.......

Good luck!

Ron
Old 05-04-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I went ahead and pulled the motor today after realizing that none of my 3 jaw pullers that I've used on Fbody and truck balancers would fit inside the corvette balancer with the motor inside the car. I might still pick up one of those chrysler balancer pullers just to have for the future.

I want to get that cam out and take a look before I decide what to do.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, if I could replace all the bearings without taking the heads off, I probably would do the bearings and the crank. But I can't so...
I realize that this thread is approaching 1 year ago, but you CAN replace all of the bearings without removing the heads. I did so.
There is a point in the rotation of crank, where it can be removed, by first removing the rod caps & mains, then pushing all of the pistons upward, toward the heads. You'll need another pair of hands to hold at least two of the piston rods, just so, to provide enough room for the crank to be removed.
Of course, pulling the engine is required.

Last edited by gMAG; 03-13-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the bearing are worn, just belt sand the bearings a little smaller. no need for skills, or special machines, thats stuff is all a scam. if there too loose, use beer can metal to space them. drink more beer till its fixed
Old 11-30-2015, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went ahead and pulled the motor today after realizing that none of my 3 jaw pullers that I've used on Fbody and truck balancers would fit inside the corvette balancer with the motor inside the car. I might still pick up one of those chrysler balancer pullers just to have for the future.

I want to get that cam out and take a look before I decide what to do.
So what ended up happening/did you reuse the bearings?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DeathByNissan55
So what ended up happening/did you reuse the bearings?
Well I took the (removed) engine, crank, and bearing caps to a couple of machine shops. Neither of them said anything definitive but what I gathered was that bearings are cheap enough that at that point I should replace them no matter what, and turn the crank. So that is what I did. I also read about possible deformities in the stock rod ends so I had the rod ends turned open 2 thou at the same time, and ordered the appropriate bearings. I went ahead and took the engine completely apart and also replaced the rings and cam bearings "just because" even though the cam and all the original ones looked okay.

Put it all back together and it was pretty much back to normal, although oil pressure is still lower at idle than I would expect (about 20psi with the melling high flow pump and the stiffer of the two springs installed). But pressure at higher rpm is 50psi or so and it doesnt make any excessive noise so I guess it is alright. It probably has a thousand miles or so on it since I put it back together.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

When I responded initially what was it, two years ago? I was undecided on re-using the bearings I showed.

Well, I did. 80 dragstrip passes later, all is well. Oil pressure solid.
Turbocharged by the way. Best of 9.21@149.

Coming apart soon to upgrade to forged rods and Pistons.

Ron
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
When I responded initially what was it, two years ago? I was undecided on re-using the bearings I showed.

Well, I did. 80 dragstrip passes later, all is well. Oil pressure solid.
Turbocharged by the way. Best of 9.21@149.

Coming apart soon to upgrade to forged rods and Pistons.

Ron
I decided to replace mine and rebuild the engine because

a) enough people were undecided/doubtful on their condition to raise concern in my mind even though there was not a consensus,

b) there was obviously some issue causing low oil pressure,

c) I was already at that point with removal of the old parts anyway,

and

d) the cost was not that much more to just go ahead and do it, and I could use it as a learning experience of my first piston engine rebuild
Old 11-10-2020, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right.

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You guys should not mess with things you do not understand. Gosh I'm tired of seeing inexperienced people butchering these motors.
Bearings are seated and should not be removed and reinstalled. And no even if some apprentice did it and thinks it was fine, it is not proper protocol/procedure.
Idk what they are talking about I’ve been in the 5.0s for years on reused 5.3 bearings and also reused Oem rings just filled.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:06 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,151 Posts

Paging GAtsma...
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (11-11-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Paging GAtsma...
LOL!! Necro-Post Man.... days late and $$$ short....
Old 11-11-2020, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Paging GAtsma...

he's been late on the draw lately, let me get bit by the old thread digger upper the other day
G Atsma (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Awwww MAN!! Do I gotta do EVERYTHING around here?? Oh the work load.... LOL
00pooterSS (11-12-2020)

Quick Reply: okay to remove main/rod bearings then reuse?