Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What were the internals? Stock rods and crank?
Old 04-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You got to be kidding???? Where are those JD/JPR lovers now? Every LS1 they have touched recently has had nothing but problems. What kills me is the NO WARRANTY BS. This time I am at a loss for more words.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieZ
What were the internals? Stock rods and crank?
thats what I was told by him...

said stock crank and rods with ARP bolts. Wonder if it was a wristpin that broke...
Old 04-25-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

You'll be able to determine what happened and what is in it when you take it out and apart. What are your plans now with the car ezss?
Old 04-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by Fireball
thats what I was told by him...

said stock crank and rods with ARP bolts. Wonder if it was a wristpin that broke...
Hold up!!!!!!!!! You paid how much for this motor?????? You got stock crank and rods?
Old 04-25-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stock crank and rods are normal for a "budget" all bore. Most upgrade the rods though. Stock crank is very strong and will live forever under 7400rpm with the right setup

Old 04-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Stock rods are the weak link in this build. I would not worry about the stock crank, they have held up great so far. The rods I would be worried about though.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:40 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

man the sux. i dont know what else to say, but good luck with what ever u do. pat
Old 04-25-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Ez just wash your hands of it and give APE a call, they are somehow managing me even after all my dealings with JPR (ie trust issues with everything car related now). I talk to Chris almost everyday and they are willing to stand behind their work 100 %. Cool guys at the APE shop. Keep up the good work guys, maybe you can start a JPR/JD relief center .
Old 04-25-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
man oh man...

I feel for you man... How much total do you have tied up in this mess now?
I guess its got to be north of $15k now, trying not to think about it.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris@AP-Engineering
Stock rods are the weak link in this build. I would not worry about the stock crank, they have held up great so far. The rods I would be worried about though.

Stock rods, stock crank, arp rod bolts, most everything else aftermarket (lifters, bearings, pistons, piston rings, pushrods, rockers, etc..)
Old 04-25-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock crank and rods are normal for a "budget" all bore. Most upgrade the rods though. Stock crank is very strong and will live forever under 7400rpm with the right setup

it started out "budget", certainly wasnt budget at the end, but I guess thats how it goes.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Cool guys at the APE shop. Keep up the good work guys, maybe you can start a JPR/JD relief center .

Hey!! Let Futral Motorsports get some of that money. JD/JPR has cost LS1 consumers enough money to fix the deficit.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll be able to determine what happened and what is in it when you take it out and apart. What are your plans now with the car ezss?

Well the car was towed to Mikey @ rapid motorsports. He will take a look at it, see whats salveable and what happened, and ill go from there. Im not in the financial bind I was before, so although it wont be popular with the other household member, I can probably put some money into the car again to get it where I want it to be. If the block is toast I do not think I will go with another increased bore setup -- I may go back to stock cubes and do a budget shortblock or I may do a 383 stroker setup if it looks feasible. All depends on what it looks like.

If the block is salveable I would like to send it to Steve @ race eng (who does the APE setups and co-designed the darton wet setup) to take a look because he was super helpful to me before and knows these blocks better than anyone else inmho.

Im still a little stunned by the whole situation, but thanks everyone so far for the support -- makes it easier for me to want to get back into the car.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:06 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

no actually thats racing
That's the biggest bunch of **** i've read in this thread yet. JD/JPR hasn't been capable of building this man a motor to last 5 minutes. Thats not racing, that POS workmanship...If this motor would have lasted at least ONE full season and then blew up.............Yes, that is called RACING.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ezss
If the block is salveable I would like to send it to Steve @ race eng (who does the APE setups and co-designed the darton wet setup) to take a look because he was super helpful to me before and knows these blocks better than anyone else inmho.
Steve@Race Eng is the man you should talk to about the block if it needs repaired. He's very honest and thorough.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
Erik, sorry to hear that bud. Good luck and I would not hesititate to go with the AP Eng guys based on thier customer commitment displayed on this board.

Hope we get to line them up sometime. If mine goes there is no one to blame but myself
yeah maybe someday! boy we have had our share of problems, but I think Im winning (or losing as the case may be) now!
Old 04-25-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ezss,

I'm sorry to hear about the motor and jope you get back up and running soon. I have a ton of respect for Mikey, good guy and knows his stuff. If you towed the car back to him why not sit down and let him make a few suggestions.

On another note, I keep asking about these Darton wet-sleeve motors and reliability and no even speaks about them anymore. This is the 4th one I have directly seen or heard about coming apart in very short order. If your motor is locked up it sounds to me like the cylinders are full of coolant. I still have problems believing that these blocks are proven rliable or even close as yet
Old 04-25-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Damian
That's the biggest bunch of **** i've read in this thread yet. JD/JPR hasn't been capable of building this man a motor to last 5 minutes. Thats not racing, that POS workmanship...If this motor would have lasted at least ONE full season and then blew up.............Yes, that is called RACING.
I have to agree, flukes happen but good grief.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Warbird
ezss,

I'm sorry to hear about the motor and jope you get back up and running soon. I have a ton of respect for Mikey, good guy and knows his stuff. If you towed the car back to him why not sit down and let him make a few suggestions.

On another note, I keep asking about these Darton wet-sleeve motors and reliability and no even speaks about them anymore. This is the 4th one I have directly seen or heard about coming apart in very short order. If your motor is locked up it sounds to me like the cylinders are full of coolant. I still have problems believing that these blocks are proven rliable or even close as yet
I don't personally feel it's the blocks. All the failing motors with Darton setups have come out of JPR/JD's place. All their blocks are done by Steve @ Race Eng and Steve does them for MANY other shops and they are without issue.

That leads me to believe the rotating assemblies and top end were not assembled properly, not the blocks.

Quick Reply: New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles