Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

George your motor looks brutal man
Old 05-01-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

I will have my flow numbers of Joe's HVLD heads from my car later this week (It was posted in the other thread). So far it looks like I was the "lucky" one, my engine may be OK I just need to replace most of the valvetrain . The cam, lifters, oil pump, all needed to be replaced (bought them last October for Joe to put them in). Probably the heads if they dont flow well and this shop cant fix them, not to mention the labor costs to get all this done (AGAIN) and to have the engine pulled and inspected. Now just so I am not leaving anything out, Joe gave me the cam for "free". Also the labor was to be only $100 to put in it, it was to complete his H/C package. Then other things were needed and this is what it turned into, this is an E-mail from Joe Last september before I picked up my car. Originally my car had his 3rd revesion cam in it and then my lifter went and he was taking care of it. He didnt have his 3rd cam anymore so he gave me the 2nd cam he was using from his car, I added some comments to the e-mail in bold for this post:

Hey Jim,
No worries dude, Yes, 100.00 for the cam, the additional parts
were nessesary though and I'm not going to hit you with an unreasonable bill
when you pick up the car.

100.00 for a JPR custom cam and install.(originally cost me 380.00) along
with a trade for a TR 224/112. Should of gotten that cam back

350.00 for fly cutting. (took a long time)

400.00 for R&R heads along with gaskets. (reflowed and adjusted heads as
needed) This will be interesting especially if my heads come back flowing like ****

85.00 for timing chain/cam gear/installation with oil pump. No chain was put in just the pump...which I have to replace now anyway

125.00 for new lifters and installation. echo echo echo

-0- install customer supplied yella terra rockers (preload is perfect) I would love the defination perfect preload
-0- install customer supplied ASP pully and belts
-0- installed a set of brand new set of Isky's, these are there newest
update "Rev II" 295D tool room springs, these were sent promotionaly to me
form Isky racing and were slated to go on my car. Rod from Isky heard that I
broke one of my springs, he promised these ones are better and will NOT
break, so I gave them to you. now I heard these are good up to .600 lift Joes 3rd cam was a little over .600, anybody know Rod?

-0- inspected catalitic converters I thought they were clogged they got REALLY REALLY hot
-0- re-port TB to 1,100 cfm's and reset TPS switch and IAC counts. I forgot about this maybe I shold get that flowed also

So 1,060.00 + tax is what I need, and the dyno session with edit shouldn't
go over 400.00. FLUSH their it goes

Glad your excited, because I feel we did an excellent job for you. uh um no commnet

Joe Prince.

END RESULT after less than 500 miles:
Here is one of my lifters:
www.techcycle.org/jim/lifter1.jpg
Here is what I am guessing is that part of that lifter I pulled out of my engine when I changed the oil in the spring:
www.techcycle.org/jim/shrapnel1.jpg
Car sitting at TT Performance engine out, cam destroyed, all parts I bought in October being replaced.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
George your motor looks brutal man
Chris- You kept telling me that something is wrong, even when JD rebuilt it with 14psi. I wonder how many miles that bottom end really has on it? It looks like everything JPR/JD touches goes
Old 05-02-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont know but I would be wary for sure!
Old 05-02-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for an update, it looks like JPR is coming through for me. My parts are supposed to start being shipped to me by the end of the week.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear man!
Old 05-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Just for an update, it looks like JPR is coming through for me. My parts are supposed to start being shipped to me by the end of the week.

I hope so.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Teching In

I sure am glad that customers post about the shops that could potentially be bad places to take our cars. I will not be doing business with JPR, JD or PCM. Thanks guys!
Old 05-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Launching!

I have yet to see here what I have done so wrong to be included in any of this.
Man does this board suck....
Old 05-02-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PCMFORLESS
I have yet to see here what I have done so wrong to be included in any of this.
Man does this board suck....
Hey now dont attack a general group because of what one or a few say, doesnt mean the board as a whole or its owners agree with it.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Wild, if you want to see feedback on the work I do check out camaroz28.com or impalassforum.com or many of the others. This is the only board I have been seeing anything negative, and I am assuming it is has a lot to do with the fact I was defending JPR a few months ago before things got really bad.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Mad, you are right, I don't want to include everyone, but it just seems there is more BS on this board and dyno sheet racing than many others and the good technical info is getting pushed aside. Hopefully things will get better.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Well over 10,500 views and climbing...
Old 05-04-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

AFAIK PCMFORLESS was going by information provided to him for the tuning. (Which wasn't accurate)
Old 05-04-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man this post is huge! ez......you'll have to repost when you find out what let go!
good luck! none of my money will being going to jd/jpr thats for sure!

pcmforless, i think most the people that do actually spend there money read all the posts, your like a data entry person, all you do is plug in the numbers. if the numbers your sent are right then so is the program. if the numbers your sent are wrong the same thing the programm is wrong. is it your fault? i dont think so. if i asked you to turn up my rev limit to 8000 rpms and im stock who's fault is it? MINE! you simply did what i asked. (now if you could start writing predator tunes?)
Old 05-04-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did a search from the beginning, sorted by number of views just for fun, and my first post about JPR problems had over 18,000 views and had the highest traffic ever on this board. Then there is a post about camshaft discussions by j-rod, which is number #2 at 17k views. This post is third now, passing over the 9.4k on the darton MID block. Actually its kind of sad if you think about it, this is supposed to be a technical discussion forum, but I guess if I had known this information when I was shopping around for an engine builder I wouldnt be in the boat I am in now.

Mikey emailed me and said the engine will be pulled on the 14th. Who knows how long before I actually am able to get a new/repaired motor in there and enjoy the car again (If I even want to do that anymore at this stage, im not really sure).
Old 05-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb rod info if needed erik

Connecting Rods

Depending on your level of horsepower and durability requirements, Manley Performance offers a budget-minded Sportsmaster series connecting rod, as well as their top-of-the-line Pro Series Lightweight connecting rods. The Sportsmaster series has been proven for years on the 1/4 mile NHRA drag strips. In fact, Manley's Sportsmaster part numbers 14106-8 and 14114-8 are NHRA legal for LS1 applications in the Stock and Super Stock classes.

Manley's Pro Series Lightweight rods are fully machined forgings combining the best in terms of strength and weight. These rods have been used extensively and very successfully for years by some of the most respected LS1 and LT1 engine builders in the country.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

9t9blueta- we have talked before and I told you back then to go to eastside and they would do you right. I hope that everything gets worked out. If you need anything let me know.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Jim with the looks of you broken lifter it liiks kinda like valve floatand when the lifter "lands" down on the back side of the cam lobe it broke near the roller trunion this is pure speculation by looking at the pics but i would check the cam very closely.

Jay
Old 05-05-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jay 95WS6
Jim with the looks of you broken lifter it liiks kinda like valve floatand when the lifter "lands" down on the back side of the cam lobe it broke near the roller trunion this is pure speculation by looking at the pics but i would check the cam very closely.

Jay
My preload was over 70 thousandths at minimum. The cam is gone/trashed I bought another one from Texas speed. Valve float is a posibility I guess, I am just waiting to see what the heads flow and making a descision from there on what to do with them. If I have to replace the heads so be it, if they dont flow well but can be fixed up ok, if they flow good, great I might want to put in a set of double springs to be on the safe side but I ran out of money and currently dipping into my credit . I refuse to give up though, I wont let something like this stop me from driving a car around that I love.

Quick Reply: New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles