Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezss
Just from the technical standpoint since I feel like I do need to say something:
Looks like a spun bearing, then a rod broke and went through both sides of the block. My "new" bearings looked very worn for the number of miles they had on them. Mikey is putting together some options for me.

Dayum.. Mikey will fix you up. Stuff like this makes it hard to enjoy the LS1 racing game.

Good luck, and if I can help you in any way- e-mail me.

Bob B.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow , Sorry EZ. I just got the report on my block. Joe used shitty gaskets, NOT THE ONE Darton recomends. The gaskets were eaten away by the crappy coolant and the wrong ones being there. On a positive note they measured the bore and stroke and I dop have all my parts for the 427. Eastside will now install new rockers and lifters and get me back on my way. Good LUck. Sorry we got stuck with JPR.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn EZ, the best thing you can do at this point is start over, Instead of using the sleeves maybe you should go with a IRON 408 with a little juice (Maybe an APE 408 ) . This will be cheaper than resleeving a new block and since you will be using all new parts from a new engine builder you can get a good warranty in writing and make sure it is done right this time around. Im sorry about your luck man, You may have gotten screwed worse than any of us.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Bear, do you happen to know which gaskets are the correct ones to use?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bravo they are the Cometic ones. I am not sure WHERE to get them, but Steve from Race Inc must know.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bear
Bravo they are the Cometic ones. I am not sure WHERE to get them, but Steve from Race Inc must know.
Cool, thanks. I'm still trying to decide if I will build the motor or have More Perf do it since they are close. They can pressure test the block and get it on an engine dyno. That would be the smart thing. I can do it, but this isn't an inexpensive sbc lol. That's where my engine building experience is. Did you ever have your heads flown, and what castings? I'm sure you got a good pair with your #'s. Mine are 6.0l's.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

You and Mikey would be best served to start completely from scratch...that way he can garauntee everything. I know when money is involved salvaging as much as possible comes to mind but keep in mind WARRANTY. There is no way Mikey could garauntee anything that he is sure of, especially used parts.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99MONGOOSE
You and Mikey would be best served to start completely from scratch...that way he can garauntee everything. I know when money is involved salvaging as much as possible comes to mind but keep in mind WARRANTY. There is no way Mikey could garauntee anything that he is sure of, especially used parts.

yep, do yourself a favor and start over ez.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:28 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if u lost a bearing I dont think u can really blame anyone.
Its sad but thats racing.

Dont use the sleeves,start over.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would like to know what was done wrong with you engine???
Old 05-20-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs down Bs

Originally Posted by JS
Well if u lost a bearing I dont think u can really blame anyone.
Its sad but thats racing.

Dont use the sleeves,start over.

JS, That's a load of crap and you know it. This engine had 1500 miles on it, had not been overrevved, and nitrous had not been used. Why in the hell should it spin a bearing? Plus, you are ignoring the observation about how worn these brand new bearings looked.

I am going to state this bluntly since others seem to want to tiptoe around the subject- subpar (or perhaps used) parts were used in EZSS' rebuild, and/or the motor was not assembled correctly. If I were EZSS, I would be seeking a full refund, or I would have my day in court.

I would not let JD or JPR build a lawnmower engine for me, let alone an LS1.

EZSS, good luck with your next engine. I believe Mikey will take good care of you!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:04 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

U didnt see the car run the day it broke and neither did I Bad.
Some say it was making noise before it hit the water box,others say it was a missed shift,Bottom line ERIK got FUCKED IN THE *** and JPR was the culprit.

Look at how many setups he's screwed up and that alone will tell u who if u really wanna blame someone was at fault,actually u BAD were one of these people too.

But in this case unfortuntely a bad bearing whether it be 500 miles or 50,000 is just bad luck,Sometimes **** just happens.

Until the info really comes out about what Mikey found its all moot.I do have my own theory and its not a pretty one but never the less,The truth will set up free

Lawnmower???
After seeing all this stuff I wouldnt let him touch a wind up airplane
Old 05-20-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JS
U didnt see the car run the day it broke and neither did I Bad.
Some say it was making noise before it hit the water box,others say it was a missed shift,Bottom line ERIK got FUCKED IN THE *** and JPR was the culprit.

That's true, JS, we didn't see the car run that day...but it is on video, isn't it? (I will admit I haven't watched the video- dial up connection is too slow for that.) JPR screwed EZSS, Bear, George C., Mike K., 9T9, 11Bravo, myself...I apologize for anyone I may have left out. There are others, I know. The list is long and distinguished- LOL!

Look at how many setups he's screwed up and that alone will tell u who if u really wanna blame someone was at fault,actually u BAD were one of these people too.

But in this case unfortuntely a bad bearing whether it be 500 miles or 50,000 is just bad luck,Sometimes **** just happens.

You really believe it is just bad luck?? Alot of "bad luck" seems to be following JPR/JD engines these days.

Until the info really comes out about what Mikey found its all moot.I do have my own theory and its not a pretty one but never the less,The truth will set up free

Lawnmower???
After seeing all this stuff I wouldnt let him touch a wind up airplane
JD had a hand in building (or rebuilding) the following engines: EZSS' 388, Bear's 427, George C.'s 346. What do all these engines have in common? They all have problems, that's what they have in common. Why do you keep covering for JD, JS? He cannot be innocent in all this.

I have no personal vendetta against JD; I have never done business with him. But, IMO, he shares some of the blame here. When he took these jobs into his shop and rebuilt EZSS' and George C.'s engines, he assumed responsibility. AND I don't see him being a standup guy and offering to stand behind his work- instead, he threw a "hissy fit," called us all a bunch of "internet yahoos" and "keyboard warriors," took his ball and went home.

He will not be missed. Neither will JPR.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bad not for nuttin, butJD didnt have one thing to do with the assembly of my 427. All JD did was tune. It was JPR who installed the crappy WRONG haed gaskets on my motor. I had to spend 1500 on what should be a warranty issue. Gaskets shouldnt fail at 500 miles.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

All that JD did was try to convince JPR to fix those engines. JD didn't build them. All JD did was get a bad name from JPR. His attitude on here was caused by all the problems JPR was causing his business.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

My fault, Bear- I wasn't sure of JD's role in building your engine. Thought it had been finished at his shop, so I thought maybe he was involved.

7DMach1- JD was paid to fix those engines, regardless of what JPR did to them in the first place. JD should have made sure they were right before they left his shop, didn't he vow to give 110%? Those customers had suffered enough heartache already; they deserved better treatment than they got from JD's, IMO.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 7DMACH1
All JD did was get a bad name from JPR.
JD got a bad name on here because he showed his true colors, as well as some really shoddy work.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 7DMACH1
All that JD did was try to convince JPR to fix those engines. JD didn't build them. All JD did was get a bad name from JPR. His attitude on here was caused by all the problems JPR was causing his business.
This is the first I've heard this story. JD told me that "HE" would go through my entire engine and make it like new.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well JD did build my engine. It's making a strange sound and we have no clue what's wrong. Next step is to tear it apart and inspect. Best guess so far is something w/ the #1 piston's wrist pin. JD swears up and down the it can't be the bottom end. He also claimed the rod bearings were at .014 when they were at .024 on every journal except the first where they were at .027
Old 05-25-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by angst911
Well JD did build my engine. It's making a strange sound and we have no clue what's wrong. Next step is to tear it apart and inspect. Best guess so far is something w/ the #1 piston's wrist pin. JD swears up and down the it can't be the bottom end. He also claimed the rod bearings were at .014 when they were at .024 on every journal except the first where they were at .027
dynoed my JD's shortblock for the first time today:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/175610-new-dyno-numbers-427-90mm-lsx.html

Quick Reply: New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles