Old 05-25-2004, 11:14 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slow pig.

Old 05-26-2004, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by angst911
Well JD did build my engine. It's making a strange sound and we have no clue what's wrong. Next step is to tear it apart and inspect. Best guess so far is something w/ the #1 piston's wrist pin. JD swears up and down the it can't be the bottom end. He also claimed the rod bearings were at .014 when they were at .024 on every journal except the first where they were at .027
Dude I never realized the problems with JD were this bad until I just now read this thread. Thank god you had Carter redo all the rod bearings correctly when you got the motor. I think you ought to take him (Carter) up on his offer to tear it down again and check out the wristpins. Judging by other people's luck there may be other things he (JD's) screwed up.

I'm glad to see your car running again though and it does seem like its going to be an absolute beast once all the kinks are sorted out. Now I know what ~550 rwhp feels like.

By the way, did he ever check the main bearings? I'd bet you the Titanic could pass through those clearances.

All I have to say about this situation in the positive direction is that Carter rocks.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you figure it out. Those dyno #'s are stout..
Old 05-26-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

IMO the problem with alot probably most of the car parts vendors/installers is that they just simply don't give a **** about us the customer. Its all about making money not about the end user having fun, there are a few that are different but unfortuneatly finding them we sometimes have to go through issues like all of us did with JPR/JD.

That being said ez did you decide on your next setup?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike K.
IMO the problem with alot probably most of the car parts vendors/installers is that they just simply don't give a **** about us the customer. Its all about making money not about the end user having fun, there are a few that are different but unfortuneatly finding them we sometimes have to go through issues like all of us did with JPR/JD.

That being said ez did you decide on your next setup?
no firm decision yet, Mikey said I can go with a built motor from someone else and he will install, no warranty, or he will provide the motor and all the parts and warranty it for 1 yr/12k miles. The latter seems like the best option, but I am a bit reluctant to throw out my sleeves that are still good and give up on that whole idea and toss all that money out when it is still partially salvageable. Cost wise it may come down to 383 stroker from mikey with 1 year warranty same price as 434 darton sleeved stroker with no warranty.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
Dude I never realized the problems with JD were this bad until I just now read this thread. Thank god you had Carter redo all the rod bearings correctly when you got the motor. I think you ought to take him (Carter) up on his offer to tear it down again and check out the wristpins. Judging by other people's luck there may be other things he (JD's) screwed up.

I'm glad to see your car running again though and it does seem like its going to be an absolute beast once all the kinks are sorted out. Now I know what ~550 rwhp feels like.

By the way, did he ever check the main bearings? I'd bet you the Titanic could pass through those clearances.

All I have to say about this situation in the positive direction is that Carter rocks.

Thank's man,
This whole situation sucks major ***, as far as JD's is concerned..bunch of no good ******** man. I am going to have matt bring me the car and I am going to tear the motor down and provide matt with a blueprint sheet with every little detail from piston to wall clearance down to crank thrust and wristpin clearance..nothing will be overlooked...I hate having to fix other people's mistakes...especially when the other people are JD's auto!

Carter
Old 05-27-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 10secondZ
Thank's man,
This whole situation sucks major ***, as far as JD's is concerned..bunch of no good ******** man. I am going to have matt bring me the car and I am going to tear the motor down and provide matt with a blueprint sheet with every little detail from piston to wall clearance down to crank thrust and wristpin clearance..nothing will be overlooked...I hate having to fix other people's mistakes...especially when the other people are JD's auto!

Carter
just let me know when to bring the car by.......

should have built the damned thing ourselves like we were originally going to.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:36 AM
Teching In

in august of 2002, i was referred to jpr by the admin form another board. i came here to do research, and saw nothing but raves. i put in the order for a vortech'ed 383 LT4 for my 1997 camaro SS. i dropped off a hefty deposit to show i was serious, and was told i would be dropping the car off in a month for install. so i drop the car off in december, 2002. he skirted the question of when?, but i think i left believing it was another month for install. so i pick up the car in may, 2003. dynoed at jds. i was determined that i needed a new clutch, so jd did it before i picked up the car. in driving back to ct, the car was a sled, which turned out to be due to a pinched o2 wire between the motor/trans.

upon getting the car home to see what i waited 10 months, and paid a great chunk for, i was highly, highly disappointed. i could go on and on. ic not mounted at all(let alone properly), cc module not mounted, timing cover oil leak, exhaust poorly designed/executed, gauge wiring exposed to chafing thru firewall, slight wobble in drivetrain, map sensor not tightened down, etc. this short list shows various items, from simple to not that were done in a remedial fashion. reading thru this post, you guys surely get the gist.

i didnt deal with jds as much as you guys, so i cant really offer an opinion on him except for paying for the clutch install myself after all this to the tune of an extra 800 bucks. i did not have a good experience with jpr. bryan form pcmforless however is a stand up guy all the way. i would got to the mat for this guy, and i havent dealt with him in great capacity. even last month he helped when i had misfire issues and suspected thepcm. he checked everything out and sent me on my way, and asked for nothing. he always answers anything i ask, and even offers opinions on what the misfire source was. A+.

i tried to keep it short, but in all, very negative vote to jpr for workmanship and business practice. i have a big heart, and try to give people th ebenefit of the doubt, and it seems he took advantage of that. There are more of us out there...

john
Old 05-28-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by forcefedLT4
in august of 2002, i was referred to jpr by the admin form another board. i came here to do research, and saw nothing but raves. i put in the order for a vortech'ed 383 LT4 for my 1997 camaro SS. i dropped off a hefty deposit to show i was serious, and was told i would be dropping the car off in a month for install. so i drop the car off in december, 2002. he skirted the question of when?, but i think i left believing it was another month for install. so i pick up the car in may, 2003. dynoed at jds. i was determined that i needed a new clutch, so jd did it before i picked up the car. in driving back to ct, the car was a sled, which turned out to be due to a pinched o2 wire between the motor/trans.

upon getting the car home to see what i waited 10 months, and paid a great chunk for, i was highly, highly disappointed. i could go on and on. ic not mounted at all(let alone properly), cc module not mounted, timing cover oil leak, exhaust poorly designed/executed, gauge wiring exposed to chafing thru firewall, slight wobble in drivetrain, map sensor not tightened down, etc. this short list shows various items, from simple to not that were done in a remedial fashion. reading thru this post, you guys surely get the gist.

i didnt deal with jds as much as you guys, so i cant really offer an opinion on him except for paying for the clutch install myself after all this to the tune of an extra 800 bucks. i did not have a good experience with jpr. bryan form pcmforless however is a stand up guy all the way. i would got to the mat for this guy, and i havent dealt with him in great capacity. even last month he helped when i had misfire issues and suspected thepcm. he checked everything out and sent me on my way, and asked for nothing. he always answers anything i ask, and even offers opinions on what the misfire source was. A+.

i tried to keep it short, but in all, very negative vote to jpr for workmanship and business practice. i have a big heart, and try to give people th ebenefit of the doubt, and it seems he took advantage of that. There are more of us out there...

john

Looks like more than just a standard cluch install!!!!

CLUTCH M/CYL
BL
REMOVE TRANSMISSION IN ORDER TO REPLACE
10201491-A021
OIL PRES SENDING U
CLUTCH ASSY.
F292001
COLLECTOR GASKETS
NOTE:CUSTOMER WILL SUPPLY PARTS.
10W30
ENGINE OIL
CL 002
SU
RESURFACE FLYWHEEL
MISC
HARDWARE
BL
INSTALL NEW CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
DOT 4
BRAKE FLUID
REINSTALL TRANSMISSION
BL
REPLACE CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER--THE ROD
WAS BENT AND BROKE WHEN BLEEDING CLUTCH
HYDRAULICS.
BL
INSTALL KEYWAYED CRANK HUB
BL
REPLACE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH-IT WAS
LEAKING OIL BADLY.
BL
INSTALL 2 MISSING FRONT OIL PAN BOLTS
TIGHTEN HEADERS WHILE TRANS WAS OUT.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn dude do you do anything but kiss JD/JPR's ***? You must be in bed with him because you always seem to have receipts for other peoples stuff. If that was my receipt you posted I would be pissed.

You need to do some constructive posts rather than posting peoples receipts, you are officially useless to this forum.

Have you ever posted anything worth while? Not that I have seen. I think it has been proven time and again JD/JPR are shady, now the level of shady may be debatable but there is no question they are shady so why dont you quit defending them. DAMN.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

all i post is the FACTS. Dude said he paid $800.00 for clutch install.. WRONG!!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

If JD is so shady why is he booked for appointment for a month. Has plenty of repeat customers. Let's hear what the problem was with EZSS's engine. He jumped on every ls1 website bad mouthing him before he knew what happened. Now that the engine is apart, nothing has been said???????
Old 05-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Please keep the conversations civil. You can dispute each other w/out using foul language. Thank You.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7DMACH1
If JD is so shady why is he booked for appointment for a month. Has plenty of repeat customers. Let's hear what the problem was with EZSS's engine. He jumped on every ls1 website bad mouthing him before he knew what happened. Now that the engine is apart, nothing has been said???????
Here is a listing of the problems so far that have been found:
1) extremely worn bearings (which were supposedly brand new) -- seems obvious they were not set up right -- probably too tight. I guess I thought I could just say they were badly worn without saying anything more and people would understand. Spun bearing as a result destroyed the motor -- root cause.
2) severe scuffing on cylender walls indicative of bad tuning/detonation
3) crank journal blackened
4) timing chain broken
5) marked up pistons from hitting valves -- gotta love that one - I didnt have a p to v clearance issue on JPR's build (although I later found out I had 3 melted pistons from the first build)
6) 6 destroyed valves from pistons hitting them.
7) shattered lifter, cam cannot even be removed from the engine.
8) and more, but if you still dont think there is a problem with the engine set up you will never see it.

Im sure JD knows mustang engines, so you ford folks thing hes great. The LS1 is not the same, even from other GM engines.

Oh for the record, I had my clutch rebuilt and reinstalled and it was far cry from what JD charged the LT4 guy above ~ $400. Just like Im sure if JD was doing my motor again it would be 2x what anyone else charges.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i see he paid for missing bolts and tightening the headers on a motor that was just built doesn't that seem odd? why wasn't the clutch replaced before the car was put back together?, and resurfacing a flywheel on a hydraulic clutch is a no no in and LT1 the hydraulics can't make up the difference in the loss of material to the flywheel. GM reccomends REPLACING flywheels onLT1/LT4 engines

Jay
Old 05-28-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

2) severe scuffing on cylender walls indicative of bad tuning/detonation!!!

Are you guys deaf???? Why would you keep racing a car that detonating???
In the video you can hear the engine doesn't sound right in it's burnout???
I'm sure the valves hit the pistons when the timing chain broke. Detonation beats the hell out of the rods and brgs. This is what caused you engine to break. Is that JD's fault???
Old 05-28-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure the valves hit the pistons when the timing chain broke. Detonation beats the hell out of the rods and brgs. This is what caused you engine to break. Is that JD's fault???
I think EZSS was trying to say that the tune provided to his motor via JPR/JD/PCMFORLESS menage caused the scuffing on the cylinder walls.

Am I right or wrong, EZ?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:58 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ray I dont think Joe wants this to continue..
Let it die already...

EZ and the rest of these guys feel screwed,even if there no fault in any of this they still feel short changed.

Its over and I think all parties should let it die.
JMHO.....
Old 05-28-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard no detonation, the car is loud as h*ll normally. Yes its JD's fault if he sent me off with a tune or a problem that detonated and that I would even have any kind of problem at 1500 miles with mostly mild use. I hope you arent saying thats its my problem that I didnt notice that JD missed a problem or its my responsibility to understand and overcome why my engine was not setup right from the get go. Give me break.

The pistons may have hit the valves when the timing chain let go, I dont rule that out, but it explain anything else.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Joel, I'm tired of people no accepting blame for their own mistakes. I agree it's over and nothing anyone can say will change anything. I would just like to stat my .02.
1) If a car slows down, there must be a problem somewhere. Why would you continue to race it?? Do you think it will heal itself like the human body? Find the problem, don't keep beating the snot out of it until it breaks!!!

2) Detination will ruin any motor. I can't understand why someone would race a car that's detonating.

3) I don't remember the other guy that's complaining about a possible wrist pin knock. He stated the he discovered some kind of vacuum caps missing after the dealer did something to his ac. If you have a vacuum leak this will cause a lean condition and detonation. Now the engine is making noise. Want to bet there is piston damage.

4) The best drivers in the world miss gears and over rev engines. But you guys won't admit it. You doctored a video to cover you A$$.

I will continue and so will many others to use JD's. If something breaks on my cars and it's my fault, I pay. I'm not stupid enough to continue to race a car that has a problem. It you nip it in the bud you will get away cheaper. It won't heal itself. If you had a bad tune and it was corrected right away, we wouldn't be talking about blown engines. It could have been a sensor or electronic problem. There has got to be a reason for a car to slow down, so get it checked out and fixed.

RAY

Quick Reply: New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles