Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
Bro, at this point there are guy's on this board that would have taken an extra special trip to "visit" JD and JPR for this kind of mess. You're being VERY generous with your attitude considering what they've done to you.

Good luck...

Hmm wonder who that is?????
Old 04-27-2004, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ezss, I feel for ya. I'm still having issues with my motor from them too, and Billiumss from Columbus ( page two of this ) is tuning it now after JD/JPR messed it up good; took Bill 5 hours to clean up there mess in the PCM; anyone looking for a tuner in Ohio, Bill knows his stuff. I had a leakdown test done and it showed less than 10% per cylinder but I still get white smoke on cold startups for 15 minutes. Also JPR missed at least 5 connections in the engine bay when the motor went back in. I'm praying my motor stays together at this point; I too have stock rods with ARP rod bolts. If I have to get rebuilt in the future, I'm not sure where I'll go being in Ohio, maybe Strobes in PA, or Ligenfelter.

Last edited by Viper; 04-27-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Viper where was the leakdown coming from though? Maybe your valves or valve seals are leaking.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure; the shop said less than 10% so I thought that was within reason. I sadly was not there when they did it.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I may send the motor in for a look as well. I have only 600 miles on it so I cant say how bad it will get. I should probably stop now and see what I can salvage. WE all got the royal screw treatment by JD and JPR. I was talking to him the other day and I was hoping he was doing better, but right now I dont care. F' em all. Good Luck, Bear
Old 04-27-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bear
I think I may send the motor in for a look as well. I have only 600 miles on it so I cant say how bad it will get. I should probably stop now and see what I can salvage. WE all got the royal screw treatment by JD and JPR. I was talking to him the other day and I was hoping he was doing better, but right now I dont care. F' em all. Good Luck, Bear
lol royal screw treatment with lube!!!! All of us need to somehow get together to discuss everthing that happened and what we want to do about it.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I definately am not happy with JD's. Bunch of scum bags if you ask me. My tolerances are definately looser that we wanted, doesn't look like they even torqued the rod bolts properly.... my mechanic has had to basically take the motor back apart and check everything. BTW, from what I hear, all of JD's motor are built at Lorenzo racing or something like that...
Old 04-27-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

No kidding Lorenzo huh, Maybe he has 2 trees instead of the one that JPR/JD share to work on cars under .
Old 04-27-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bear
I'd have a proven tuner from this board check it out. I think it'd be a waste of your time to send it back to them.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike K.
lol royal screw treatment with lube!!!! All of us need to somehow get together to discuss everthing that happened and what we want to do about it.
I agree Mike! I wonder how many of us have been screwed by these guys? Is there some way to put up a post for those that have been screwed by these guys, so that you could get a good head count and then decide exactly what could be done?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JD replied on LS1.com (near end of page 2)

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...04#post4963704
Old 04-28-2004, 02:32 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well he cant reply here, because his ***** little punk *** is banned.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Viper
ezss, I feel for ya. I'm still having issues with my motor from them too, and Billiumss from Columbus ( page two of this ) is tuning it now after JD/JPR messed it up good; took Bill 5 hours to clean up there mess in the PCM; anyone looking for a tuner in Ohio, Bill knows his stuff. I had a leakdown test done and it showed less than 10% per cylinder but I still get white smoke on cold startups for 15 minutes. Also JPR missed at least 5 connections in the engine bay when the motor went back in. I'm praying my motor stays together at this point; I too have stock rods with ARP rod bolts. If I have to get rebuilt in the future, I'm not sure where I'll go being in Ohio, maybe Strobes in PA, or Ligenfelter.
Viper....DO NOT GO TO STROBES!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough. You thought you had problems with JD/JPR; I have heard worse stories from STROBES. Do yourself the biggest favor you possibly can, go to Rapid Motorsports. Mikey is almost an eight hour haul for us northeast Ohio guys but it's worth it, believe me.
I have two questions for EZSS:
1) All that cash you spent, why wouldn't you get good rods?
2) You had you original H/C package done by Mikey at Rapid and I remember reading posts about you having some difficulty getting good ETs/mphs at the track. I think that was all in the driving not the car, practice makes perfect, you know. I think I remember reading that you finally got a 11 sec pass, right? So it was just a matter of seat time. I am wondering why you left Mikey to begin with.

Like a previous post asked: where are all the JPR/JD followers that swore up and down that these guys were the very best in the business? If I were you two: Eric and George, I would drive down to JD and ****** his a$$ out of that building and throw him a beating that he'll never forget. I would also go to his local news channels and tell your stories. I would continuously watch the Ls1 forums: this one, ls1.com and camaroz28.com among the others and slam him every chance I got; do your VERY best to sway anyone considering using him. You guys need to shut this character down!

Last edited by 14u2nv; 04-28-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14u2nv
Viper....DO NOT GO TO STROBES!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough. You thought you had problems with JD/JPR; I have heard worse stories from STROBES. Do yourself the biggest favor you possibly can, go to Rapid Motorsports. Mikey is almost an eight hour haul for us northeast Ohio guys but it's worth it, believe me.
I have two questions for EZSS:
1) All that cash you spent, why wouldn't you get good rods?
2) You had you original H/C package done by Mikey at Rapid and I remember reading posts about you having some difficulty getting good ETs/mphs at the track. I think that was all in the driving not the car, practice makes perfect, you know. I think I remember reading that you finally got a 11 sec pass, right? So it was just a matter of seat time. I am wondering why you left Mikey to begin with.

Like a previous post asked: where are all the JPR/JD followers that swore up and down that these guys were the very best in the business? If I were you two: Eric and George, I would drive down to JD and ****** his a$$ out of that building and throw him a beating that he'll never forget. I would also to to his local news channels and tell your stories. I would also continuously watch the Ls1 forums: this one, ls1.com and camaroz28.com among the others and slam him every chance I got; do your VERY best to sway anyone considering using him. You guys need to shut this character down!
Well im not going to hunt anyone down and get arrested, im a non violent person and to me that just inst the answer, no matter how frustrated I get. This just isnt worth that to me.

I wanted more power and JPR had a budget shortblock. He had helped me out before, and I thought I would give it a shot. It was nothing against mikey, although I do wish my ARE heads had generated a bit more power. The price of the shortblock was only slightly more than a h/c package installed too, and I figured the ARE heads would work better with more cubes, since thats what ARE seems to like. I did run 11s with the h/c setup, thats why I was particualarly annoyed that at cecil the other day I couldnt run much faster than my OLD H/c times (11.7 @ 119 vs. 11.8 @ 118)

The money started to fly out when I changed the heads to JPR S2, changed cams, changed rockers, changed headers, tuning, etc...that came later from both trying to get fix the oil billowing out of the tailpipe problem and get more power.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Default erik 's engine

how can i be surprised---because people with race cars understand things
break--i will not warrant an engine so you can beat the **** out of it at
the track until it breaks.you don't know enough to know if something is
wrong and not run it.
i told you that the rods needed to be upgraded--so i guess all the internet
guys are right and i am wrong--looks that way--especially if a rod broke.
why don't you call chevrolet who made your super 600+hp rods and tell them
it broke..if everyone else is running them--they will coverthem.
come on erik--your a whiner---you didn't spend 15k with me---i fixed your
engine for you and it ran and made the power---engines are a machine--they
will break and that is what happens when they are pushed to the max--like
yours.
you didn't pay for the engine to be built first of all--i did and collected
money from joe prince.not saying if i did anything wrong i wouldn't pay--but you decided not to upgrade the rods.
i will post the estimate today for what i recommended and what you wanted--i
will also post a copy of the repair order with it from last time so i get a
fair shake at it.
obviously it wasn't workmanship--you ran the vehicle more than several
times,plus i dynoed it.

i have had it with anyone joe prince knows or deals with--i have had had
nothing but problems with this situation from the beginning plus--you never
listen to anything i recommend until you have probelms--you listen to the
internet guys and engineer your own stuff-so sorry about your loss--but you
know more and the internet guys know more---and you want me to stand behind
your engine you wanted and i recommend better parts??
i never charged you to overhaul the engine----i did the warranty job for joe
prince--so if any warranty is left it would be through him.
you paid me to remove and reinstall the engine---and for some upgrades to
fuel system and valve train system and belts and sensors.
i never charged you to upgrade the heads nor the engine repairs nor the
dyno.

also what fuel are you running in that at the track????

sincerely
joe dutkiewicz

JD's Performance Center
810 Welsh Road
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006
PH: 215-938-9270
FX: 215-938-5084

WWW.JDS-HIGH-PERFORMANCE.COM

----- Original Message -----
To: "JD'S PERFORMANCE CENTER" <JDAUTOREPAIR@EROLS.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: engine problem

> Joe,
> Come on -- the car made 475rwhp, not 2500rwhp. People run a lot
> more power than 600rwhp nitrous LS1s and dont have stock rods
> breaking on them, if that is even the problem, who knows right
> now until the car is looked at.
>
> How can you be surprised that Im pissed off? I now have around
> $15k into a piece of sh*t that is broken and not covered under
> any warranty. This may come as a surprise to you, but check
> with some of the other LS1 engine builders -- the reason joe p
> was giving warranties on these engines is because almost all of
> the reputable shops do. If you are confident in your product
> you stand behind it. I will stop attacking you if you send me
> my money back, or foot the upcoming repair bill.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik
>
> --- JD'S PERFORMANCE CENTER <JDAUTOREPAIR@EROLS.COM> wrote:
> > erik--why are you still bashing me??i don't understand.
> > i didn't do anything wrong--you broke a stock rod from what
> > you say.
> > i told you to upgrade the rods to manley and you didn't want
> > to.
> > obviously it wasn't a workmanship problem otherwise you
> > wouldn't of gotten off the dyno nor the track the first time.
> >
> > i would not get to aggravated--the rods held up well for the
> > power you were making--i wanted to upgrade them and a solid
> > roller---YOU SAID NO!!!OTHER PEOPLE TOLD YOU YOU DIDN'T HAVE
> > TO--i told you to upgrade.
> >
> > i will postthe bill for 3200.00 also tomorow so i get a fair
> > shake and people see what you paid for--i will also post the
> > original estimate with the rods quoted in the pricing that you
> > declined.
> >
> > NOTE:JOE PRINCE DOES NOT WORK HERE ANYMORE DUE TO THE
> > CONTINIOUS PROBLEMS WITH HIM AND HIS OLD BUSINESS.
> > SO PLEASE POST THAT--I CUT THAT OFF AFTER REALIZING HOW HE WAS
> > TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE AND USING THEIR MONEY!!!
> >
> > THANKS\
> > JOE D.
>
>
Old 04-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Launching!

i built an engine for a friend and he did a buget build. not that he wanted to. but he had to. long story short. he lost a stock rod after maybe 3,000 miles on the car. they only thing left on that rod was the ARP bolts. they were still attach lol . not taking sides here. but **** happens...and i understand the internet know it all. they read on how to build a motor but never really know what to look for when something isn't right!! so i sort of understand JD's point of view. 2 sides to every story. if maybe he went with the recomendations and found out before hand what kind of warrenty if any he would get if something happens. then maybe he would have a leg to stand on. (didn't read the whole post but from what i read up to. no warrenty was given)

Last edited by BLUEBALLS ZZ; 04-28-2004 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Some things in the thread really annoy me. First is 14u2NV, I hope when ARE screwed a bunch of people over way back when that you told all those people to go up there and get him and shut him down. Same with Comp with the 918's and the same with the unhappy Patriot people. Your questions are valid but honestly its crap like those comments that make this board suck. EZ already has his car at Rapid just like mine is at TTP being looked at. Too many people on this board like to throw fuel on the fire instead of actually helping out which is what I though this board was about. I laugh when I look at the sponsor section with all the posts saying so and so is Great when I talked to them and so and so's Product with 4 miles on it is awesome I would recommend them to anybody. Then 20 days later its a different story.I dont have the money to replace my JPR heads right now, will I in the future? maybe, I am just crossing my fingers that they will hold for awhile until I can get back on my feet finicially. Maybe they are fine who knows but honestly you dont know if ANY set of heads are fine. Hell you dont know if ANYTHING you put on a car is fine. It might be all the stress of buying my house and having the car broke and dealing with stupid realtors, mortgage people, and other useless people that want my money all day......Screw it I am with Bear F'em all.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

Anytime a company says the internet community is full of crap, that's when I know when someone is a old school pain in the ***. We as a site have 99% of the fastest GEN 3 cars on the planet. We know what we are doing.

And we need to find out what went in this guy's motor, but for the record, our stock rods typically do not break, but we do stretch stock rod bolts
Old 04-28-2004, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I still find it somewhat humorous that JD still likes to put everyone online into a collective group of "internet people". Wake UP Joe, just because people have a computer and can communicate does not mean that some of them do not know what they are doing. HELLO JOE! There are many shops, manufacturers, engine builders, etc... with people here online, reading your ignorance.

Just because YOUR reputation is now **** on the internet, it does not mean "internet people" do not know anything. When it comes to LS1s, we definitely have the most experienced people here online at this site. We have been here since these engines came out, back when you were still playing with Mustangs. I sure do not see any LS1 firsts or records being set by your shop, and never have.

PS, we average over 21,000 different people reading this site per day. How many are reading this thread? Compare that to how many walk into your shop each day and get back to us on how the "internet people" are not informed.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:18 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Hmm wonder who that is?????
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Quick Reply: New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles