Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12-15K and U ont know who is building the motor??? U need to get a Lawyer Right quick. My heads are leaking coolant and who knows what else inside. I would definitley look into whats up. Good Luck. Bear
Old 04-28-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok I have a copy of your bill. You didn't pay $3200.00 to rebuild you engine. First off the bill was $3683.92 total with tax, Joe accepted $3200.00. So he did give you a break. Second you had a fuel pump put in which was $161.00 parts and $324.00 labor. You upgraded you rocker arms, which were $613.00 and pushods which were $141.00. set up valve train geometry and push rod length. $402.00. New ego sensors at $210.00. due to codes in computer plus $66.00 for computer diag. R&r upper console and tighten shifter bolt, $13.20. Remove engine and tare down, $396.00, reinstall engine $396.00. There are other things also. But all you paid was $792.00 labor to r&r the engine. All the other stuff was upgrades or unrelated to the engine. I don't have a scanner but can fax this to someone with a scanner and you can post all three pages of the bill. RAY
Old 04-28-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

One other thing, since you didn't pay for any part of this rebuild except the labor for JD to remove and install it, and since Joe Prince paid for it and he was the original builder I think you may have a warranty with him, the original builder who you paid. He is no longer at JD's but is still in business. RAY
Old 04-28-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

As far as getting a lawyer, don't waste your time going after JD's you never paid him to building your a motor, you would have to go after JPR.. The engine rebuild was subleted to JD's and paid for by JPR.The only part that JD's is responsible for is the installation of the engine and the other things you had him do. JUst my .02. RAY
Old 04-28-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

good luck getting money from JPR I'm still waiting for the money he owes me
Old 04-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7DMACH1
I don't understand anything about a racing parts warranty. I sold Ford Motorsport parts for years, they carry no warranty what so ever. I've been racing for 35 years. Things break, manufacturing defects, driver error or abuse such as over revving, missing gears, and so on. I've broken a lot of stuff in my lifetime and never got anything covered by a warranty. Some of the best engine builders in the world such as Nascar teams ans top drag racers still have failures. Who warranties this stuff. As far as I'm concerned it's part of the hobby. If a stock axle broke would you feel someone ripped you off? If you're racing you need ALL of the BEST parts money can buy. Sometimes these parts will still fail but at least I gave it my best shot. Lorenzo is one of the top machinist in the Phila. area. He worked for a well known engine builder for over 20 years. He went out on his own now and has built hundred of engines. I have never heard anything bad about him. Ask any racer in this area. If my engine blows up tomorrow, oh well. Just my .02 on this subject. RAY
I agree with you to a certain extent. We do have engine builders on this board who stand by their work. With all the problems ARE had in the past they still held up to their part when 383LQ4SS lost his NITROUS motor the first and the second time. The sole purpose of paying a premium price is to get some kind of security. Why would I pay $3k to $7k for a shortblock with no warranty when I can have some local nobody build the same motor for less and get no warranty?

The reputation of JD as a good shop has obviously decreased. How can so many people who have all had dealings with him have terrible experiences come back and say JD did right by them? JD was suppose to fix their cars and JD assured each one of them that they would have no problems once he repaired their cars. If EZSS did not want to take JD's advice then JD should have refused to work on his car, but instead JD lead all of us to believe he was fixing EZSS's car for free. $3200 is not free. I remember Bear saying his front tranny seal was leaking. Come on.. A shop with as many years as JD claims to have should be able to connect a tranny properly w/out leaks. Hell I have never had any leaks and I have installed my own tranny twice on my back in 383LQ4SS's garage. George C got his car back and the oil pressure was still low. Just like it was the first time. All these guys got ripped. It seems to me that JD made more money off of JPR's poor setups than ACTUALLY trying to help with JPR's warranty work. JD and I have shared emails and via emails he seems like a top notch guy, but I do not know what to say now. I feel for all parties involved.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Remember one thing too. It was JD that insisted that JPR warranty these engines in the first place. If you remember your were screwed until JD insisted that JPR take care of them. Then you said that JD was a stand up guy. Now that they failed again he's a rip off. JD should have NEVER got involved with JPR. This was the biggest mistake of his life. He had an excellent rep. for 7 1/2 years until JPR came along and ruined it. He brought him more problems in six months than JD had in 71/2 years. We don't know what is even wrong with this engine. You are assuming it's a rod. UNtil this engine is torn apart noone will know. We also don't know how this car was treated. It's clear that the driver missed a gear in the video. How many other times was this motor over reved???? Only one person knows. And maybe when the engine is torn apart the builder will know too!!!! The one other engine that faied was brought to JD's without an intake. The motor was rebuilt for free. Now it failed again. It was bruought up without an intake again. After JD asked where the intake was it was brought up with all the parts from the original blow up stuck in the intake. Some of those parts were between the head and the piston. Also the car had an auxillary fuel pump that the wires were rotted off of. The car was also running lean but the owner felt it was JD's fault. Go figure.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 70RallySport
how can i be surprised---because people with race cars understand things
break--i will not warrant an engine so you can beat the **** out of it at
the track until it breaks.you don't know enough to know if something is
wrong and not run it.
i told you that the rods needed to be upgraded--so i guess all the internet
guys are right and i am wrong--looks that way--especially if a rod broke.
why don't you call chevrolet who made your super 600+hp rods and tell them
it broke..if everyone else is running them--they will coverthem.
come on erik--your a whiner---you didn't spend 15k with me---i fixed your
engine for you and it ran and made the power---engines are a machine--they
will break and that is what happens when they are pushed to the max--like
yours.
you didn't pay for the engine to be built first of all--i did and collected
money from joe prince.not saying if i did anything wrong i wouldn't pay--but you decided not to upgrade the rods.
i will post the estimate today for what i recommended and what you wanted--i
will also post a copy of the repair order with it from last time so i get a
fair shake at it.
obviously it wasn't workmanship--you ran the vehicle more than several
times,plus i dynoed it.

WWW.JDS-HIGH-PERFORMANCE.COM

>
>
>
Well, I wanted to be sure, so I went through every single email I have from you (and there are over 50), all the quotes, and not one of them mentions these "highly recommended" rods. The only time I recall talking about upgrading rods was when we were also talking about putting a crank in there, and you asking one time about what rods were in there. It certainly was not a point of emphasis, as in "your motor will fail (almost immidiately) without rods", or even that you highly recommended them. Go ahead, find a quote for a motor with rods that wasnt a 427, but I guarantee I never got one.

as far as not paying for the motor to be rebuilt, wtf is the $3200 I paid?? Yeah I know Joe P paid too, something like $3900. How much does it cost to rebuild an already built motor?? over 7 grand for something that cost just over $4k originally? Something doesnt add up. And if this motor was missing something it needed to last beyond 1500 miles with occasional track duties, for that amount of money it damn well should have been in there!!!

Im also betting there was more involved than just a rod going too, because the car felt exactly like it did the first time I had problems, down on top-end power, id like to see how your going to explain that away.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Shorty Director

JD should have NEVER got involved with JPR. This was the biggest mistake of his life. He had an excellent rep. for 7 1/2 years until JPR came along and ruined it. He brought him more problems in six months than JD had in 71/2 years. Go figure.
I told JD this myself.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad deal, but I would find out for sure what caused the failure before I posted anything.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok I have a copy of your bill. You didn't pay $3200.00 to rebuild you engine. First off the bill was $3683.92 total with tax, Joe accepted $3200.00. So he did give you a break. Second you had a fuel pump put in which was $161.00 parts and $324.00 labor. You upgraded you rocker arms, which were $613.00 and pushods which were $141.00. set up valve train geometry and push rod length. $402.00. New ego sensors at $210.00. due to codes in computer plus $66.00 for computer diag. R&r upper console and tighten shifter bolt, $13.20. Remove engine and tare down, $396.00, reinstall engine $396.00. There are other things also. But all you paid was $792.00 labor to r&r the engine. All the other stuff was upgrades or unrelated to the engine. I don't have a scanner but can fax this to someone with a scanner and you can post all three pages of the bill. RAY

I was credited $400 for my rockers in exchange for $613 comp adjustable rockers, which I was told the engine would not work out without. I was then charged over $400 to install these rockers. The O2 sensors I didnt need, I am getting the exact same check engine code they were replaced for. $66 to ATAP my car? And I was still getting the same check engine codes even after tuning. I was told I needed a fuel pump, I bought it. Take $500 off the bill then, leaves you with almost $2800 for all the rest of the work.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Remember one thing too. It was JD that insisted that JPR warranty these engines in the first place. If you remember your were screwed until JD insisted that JPR take care of them. Then you said that JD was a stand up guy. Now that they failed again he's a rip off. JD should have NEVER got involved with JPR. This was the biggest mistake of his life. He had an excellent rep. for 7 1/2 years until JPR came along and ruined it. He brought him more problems in six months than JD had in 71/2 years. We don't know what is even wrong with this engine. You are assuming it's a rod. UNtil this engine is torn apart noone will know. We also don't know how this car was treated. It's clear that the driver missed a gear in the video. How many other times was this motor over reved???? Only one person knows. And maybe when the engine is torn apart the builder will know too!!!! The one other engine that faied was brought to JD's without an intake. The motor was rebuilt for free. Now it failed again. It was bruought up without an intake again. After JD asked where the intake was it was brought up with all the parts from the original blow up stuck in the intake. Some of those parts were between the head and the piston. Also the car had an auxillary fuel pump that the wires were rotted off of. The car was also running lean but the owner felt it was JD's fault. Go figure.

JD built the motor, JPR had nothing to do with the rebuild. JD built me a motor that lasted 1500 miles. JD said he would make it right, he didnt.

Motor was not over-reved. as explained earlier, that is the guy behind my car starting his burnout. i was standing further down the track and heard a clean and very, very quick 1-2 shift
Old 04-28-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as getting a lawyer, don't waste your time going after JD's you never paid him to building your a motor, you would have to go after JPR.. The engine rebuild was subleted to JD's and paid for by JPR.The only part that JD's is responsible for is the installation of the engine and the other things you had him do. JUst my .02. RAY

again JD completely rebuilt the motor and made JP and myself pay for it. At that point its his motor.

I also know that when I took my car there, the headlights were plugged in (try driving home at night with no headlights), my heater worked, my car did not stall every time I stopped at a light, my SES light came on, and various other things right off the bat should have cued me in that the attention to detail had not been there.

I do not want him to be anywhere near my car anymore. I dont know what the h*ll is going on over there but its shady. How many JPR problems did JD actually really fix?? -- the answer is none, but he sure collected a lot of money for it.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jay 95WS6
good luck getting money from JPR I'm still waiting for the money he owes me
Vince, if you read my other post before yours, EZ didn't pay $3200.00 for the rebuild. He paid $792.00 to r&r and engine that JPR built. Why would he do it for free??? It was JPR'S comeback. He paid a total of $3200.00 for labor and upgrades and things unrelated to the engine. I have the bill.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ez, turn the volume up. I know the difference between a car doing a burn out and a car going down the track. Was he double clutching it like a Mack truck? No he missed second. Why does the other car fly by him at that point? Because he missed second!!!!
Old 04-28-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Listen, he misses the gear before the other car even starts doing his burnout!!! http://home.comcast.net/~bkrzewinski/kaboom.avi
Old 04-28-2004, 07:25 PM
FormerVendor

What difference does it make if he hit the limiter. Its there for a reason and if that in fact was the cause of the blow up surely one can make a motor last longer than hitting the rev limiter once. What about all the other people in this thread that have had their money taken by this shop. They all seem to have bonafide problems, their motors just havent blown up.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vince, if you read my other post before yours, EZ didn't pay $3200.00 for the rebuild. He paid $792.00 to r&r and engine that JPR built. Why would he do it for free??? It was JPR'S comeback. He paid a total of $3200.00 for labor and upgrades and things unrelated to the engine. I have the bill.

I have the bill too, read my post above.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Shorty Director

Listen, he misses the gear before the other car even starts doing his burnout!!! http://home.comcast.net/~bkrzewinski/kaboom.avi
Well I did here something odd and it did sound like a missed shift. I usually hear that when my clutch slips or I cant get it into gear..
Old 04-28-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
What difference does it make if he hit the limiter. Its there for a reason and if that in fact was the cause of the blow up surely one can make a motor last longer than hitting the rev limiter once. What about all the other people in this thread that have had their money taken by this shop. They all seem to have bonafide problems, their motors just havent blown up.

exactly, I really dont think he hit the limiter from where I was standing at around the 30' mark (and how do you miss a 1-2 shift?), sounded very clean, but even if the clutch slipped a bit, or the car spun load free for a fraction of a second at 6500 (where he was shifting) to 7k before it went into second, that shouldnt kill the car, nor does it account for the cars lack of power all day, nor all the other failures of JD's rebuilt motors.

Quick Reply: New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles