Sponsored by:

New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by 7DMACH1
When I listen and watch the video, it sounds like the driver missed second gear. Listen to it and listen to the rpms. Just my .02. RAY
Not sure whats up with the audio...but the car went right into 2nd gear...Didn't hesitate at all. As a matter of fact I shortshifted a bit ~6400-6500 since his shift light wasn't operating correctly

I think the audio was pulsing in places..listen to the pulse even before the launch...I think it did the same with it was at the top of first. I don't have a real camcorder...this was done with a digital still camera....that has some recording capability...

Last edited by Fireball; 04-29-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 7DMACH1
Ez, turn the volume up. I know the difference between a car doing a burn out and a car going down the track. Was he double clutching it like a Mack truck? No he missed second. Why does the other car fly by him at that point? Because he missed second!!!!
I KNOW it didn't miss second. why did the other car fly by? Because your POS built motor was coming apart Its f'n sad that my homebuilt motor has lasted 2+years without coming apart. I shift that thing hard and run it to 7K all the time. Your POS came apart in less than 1500 miles

I have several people that watched that run in person (including the owner of the car) that will attest that the car DID NOT miss a gear. Not sure what the audio heard was...but it wasn't missing a gear...

Last edited by Fireball; 04-29-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VINCE
I agree with you to a certain extent. We do have engine builders on this board who stand by their work. With all the problems ARE had in the past they still held up to their part when 383LQ4SS lost his NITROUS motor the first and the second time. The sole purpose of paying a premium price is to get some kind of security. Why would I pay $3k to $7k for a shortblock with no warranty when I can have some local nobody build the same motor for less and get no warranty?
AFAIK there was nothing wrong with the ARE motor. The tuner (NOT ARE) had the knock sensors turned off!!

Chris

ps- With a poweradder motor most warranties go right out the window. If you spray it or super/turbocharge it you are on your own.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
AFAIK there was nothing wrong with the ARE motor. The tuner (NOT ARE) had the knock sensors turned off!!

Chris

ps- With a poweradder motor most warranties go right out the window. If you spray it or super/turbocharge it you are on your own.
Chris what I was saying was ARE stood by their customer. Remember that same tuner tuned my motor as well. My knock sensors were turned off too. That is why I am on motor #3 in 3 years. There are also engine builders who stand by their customers even when power adders are added. Most wont, but some will as long as you let them tune the car and follow the engine builders rules.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vince,

I understood what you were saying BTW on poweradder cars ARE will support and continue to look after even those cars. they do have a limited warranty even on those. That's not to say they would replace an entire motor but they would help out to get things back to top condition.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt have any power adders, but the tuning done by PCMforless did turn off my knock sensors because I kept getting a flashing SES.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ezss
I didnt have any power adders, but the tuning done by PCMforless did turn off my knock sensors because I kept getting a flashing SES.
You sure you're not confusing misfire detect with knock retard? They're two different things. Misfires will flash the SES. Knock won't. They're very different, and disabled for different reasons.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

My misfire has been turned off for awhile. One day I will tweak the settings so I can turn it back on. How would you delete the knock sensors? Just the SES codes or setting all the knock setting to 0? both?
Old 04-29-2004, 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never seen the need to turn off the misfire code. A simple crank relearn always clears up the flashing light....
Old 04-29-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Knock retard and misfire index are two different animals.

Many cars have large cams and as a result their misfire index is very high. Many tuners will turn that function off, as it is an emissions issue and won't harm the engine. When the PCM cycles it records every misfire and if the during a certain cycle it records an emissions fault it will set a code. The code can be annoying and with large cams a fact of life, hence the resaon to turn it off.

The knock sensors on the other hand protect the engine from lean conditions, fuel issues and various weather conditions that exist. The knock sensors will detect ping and begin to retard timimg in an attempt to bring the engine back to normal parameters. By turning them off the engine can no longer sense and recitfy those kind of problems which can dramatically shorten the life of the motor. You can desensitize the knock sensors but turning them off is very bad.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I understood your point Vince

I just wanted to clarify that the issue was tuning related and not mechanical

Chris
Old 04-29-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

is 7DMach1, actually JD?
he sure does seem to like the way JD's *** tastes the way he's been kissing up to him this whole thread
Old 04-29-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought it was he deleted the misfire, then disabled the knock because it was somehow triggering the misfire, which since it had been deleted couldnt fire a real code so it kept flashing but produced no code when ATAPed. Could be wrong, Im not going to say Im sure on this one because im not.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
is 7DMach1, actually JD?
he sure does seem to like the way JD's *** tastes the way he's been kissing up to him this whole thread
7Dmach1 is JD's friend.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Ive listened to that video several times, the car sounds like its knocking before he launch's. Definatly was something wrong with that motor. My 396 that Alan built got about 10 missed gears thrown at it last sunday, im not pointing any fingers at the driver of my car, but his initials were "CamminBeaSSt" aka Ron Mowen. haha sorry had to ron, but back to the point, even a missed gear or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 for that matter shouldnt pop that motor at only 1500miles.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 770boy
Ive listened to that video several times, the car sounds like its knocking before he launch's. Definatly was something wrong with that motor. My 396 that Alan built got about 10 missed gears thrown at it last sunday, im not pointing any fingers at the driver of my car, but his initials were "CamminBeaSSt" aka Ron Mowen. haha sorry had to ron, but back to the point, even a missed gear or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 for that matter shouldnt pop that motor at only 1500miles.
Ron comments?
Old 04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,000 Posts

What's the longest any LS1 built/rebuilt by JD has lasted?

Based on the info we're seen todate it's about 1,800 miles. I was just wondering how his other LS1 motors had faired.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Warbird
Vince,

I understood what you were saying BTW on poweradder cars ARE will support and continue to look after even those cars. they do have a limited warranty even on those. That's not to say they would replace an entire motor but they would help out to get things back to top condition.
Yes, even when I spoke with Futral Motorsports about a warranty on my new setup we came to a happy medium. I follow Allans rules and all is good.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I like to hear, vendors actually supporting thier creations
Old 04-29-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation Updated Video With Fixed Audio

ok...there was a problem with the audio when I did the conversion from mpg to avi.

here is a bigger mpg file (straight from the camera). Note the pulse is gone during the staging and the 1-2 shift is nice and clean

Please right click and save...its 5.2MB

http://home.comcast.net/~bkrzewinski/kaboom.mpg

Last edited by Fireball; 04-29-2004 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles