Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx, Vince. I tought this old goat was going crazy but after 52 years , I still can hear. I've been around racing for geez almost 40 years now. I know a missed shift when I hear one. Damn I missed enough of them in my life. All I'm saying is even if he missed a shift 500 rpm below red line, do you know how fast a free wheeling engine revs. It problably would go to 7k like nothing. Those rods weren't made to take that. And don't tell me that was the fisrt gear ever missed. Do you have a rev limiter other that the POS factory one. That's the first thing you should put on a performance car especially a stick shift. One missed gear can spin a brg. Believe me I know. You could have spun a brg at 1000 miles and after racing it the rod let go. When a car slows down, something is wrong. Get it checked out, don't keep racing it.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VINCE
Well I did here something odd and it did sound like a missed shift. I usually hear that when my clutch slips or I cant get it into gear..

again, I really believe this is the guy behind him starting the burnout by hitting his limiter on the clutch dump, it doesnt even sound like my car's motor. Should the car blow up if he did hit the limiter? You know we do that on the dyno every time it dynoes.

I thought I was buying a durable rebuilt motor, not a piece of glass?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ezss
again, I really believe this is the guy behind him starting the burnout by hitting his limiter on the clutch dump, it doesnt even sound like my car's motor. Should the car blow up if he did hit the limiter? You know we do that on the dyno every time it dynoes.

I thought I was buying a durable rebuilt motor, not a piece of glass?

Ahhh!! My bad.. I forgot reading someone was doing a burnout while you guys were going down the track. Sorry..
Old 04-28-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Listen again Vince. The guy doesn't even start doing his burn out till after he misses the gear!!!
Old 04-28-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have stock rods which are made for less hp, torque and rpms. Why don't you call a GM engineer and ask him what those rods will handle. LOL RAY
Old 04-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Shorty Director

Ok.. I have listened to that video 10 times now. The car doing the burnout does not sound like the car missing the gear sound.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 7DMACH1
Thanx, Vince. I tought this old goat was going crazy but after 52 years , I still can hear. I've been around racing for geez almost 40 years now. I know a missed shift when I hear one. Damn I missed enough of them in my life.
How many engines didyou blow up missing shifts?

[quote]
All I'm saying is even if he missed a shift 500 rpm below red line, do you know how fast a free wheeling engine revs. It problably would go to 7k like nothing.
[quote]

There are quite a few members here that take the stock bottom end to 7K. Nothing new there.

Those rods weren't made to take that. And don't tell me that was the fisrt gear ever missed. Do you have a rev limiter other that the POS factory one.
Does anyone make an aftermarket ignition system for the LS1 (MSD, ACCEL, etc). If so point me in that direction

That's the first thing you should put on a performance car especially a stick shift. One missed gear can spin a brg. Believe me I know. You could have spun a brg at 1000 miles and after racing it the rod let go.
Still doesnt make sence since the motor was supposed to NEW and REBUILT with ~1K on it. At that point who is to blame the builder or the racer?

When a car slows down, something is wrong. Get it checked out, don't keep racing it.

WTF wouldve thunk that after 1k miles the thing wouldve broke. Throw a rod none the less. I surely wouldnt not after dumping the amount of money into I did (for a peice of mind, mind you). If the car was slowing down there couldve been plenty other variables that attributed to it being slow. But surely the last thing on my mind wouldve been a rod comming out the block.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=HumpinSS]How many engines didyou blow up missing shifts?

[quote]
All I'm saying is even if he missed a shift 500 rpm below red line, do you know how fast a free wheeling engine revs. It problably would go to 7k like nothing.

There are quite a few members here that take the stock bottom end to 7K. Nothing new there.

Does anyone make an aftermarket ignition system for the LS1 (MSD, ACCEL, etc). If so point me in that direction

Still doesnt make sence since the motor was supposed to NEW and REBUILT with ~1K on it. At that point who is to blame the builder or the racer?

WTF wouldve thunk that after 1k miles the thing wouldve broke. Throw a rod none the less. I surely wouldnt not after dumping the amount of money into I did (for a peice of mind, mind you). If the car was slowing down there couldve been plenty other variables that attributed to it being slow. But surely the last thing on my mind wouldve been a rod comming out the block.

First off, did you ever see what happens to a rod from over reving????
Who said a rod came through the block??? EZ said he can't see where the oil came from. We don't know if a rod came through the block and won't know until they disassemble it. Maybe the oil filter blew off????
Old 04-28-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7DMACH1
First off, did you ever see what happens to a rod from over reving????
Who said a rod came through the block??? EZ said he can't see where the oil came from. We don't know if a rod came through the block and won't know until they disassemble it. Maybe the oil filter blew off????

or maybe a monkey came flying out of my a**. I'll post up what happened when we know further. Ultimately its still on JD that the car with the 110% motor that I basically drove out of his shop fell apart for any internal motor reason.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or maybe a monkey came flying out of my a**. .
Ok, that was DAMN FUNNY. LOL, thanks for a good laugh man, now, back to the thread.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

lmao.....
Old 04-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

or maybe a monkey came flying out of my a**. I'll post up what happened when we know further. Ultimately its still on JD that the car with the 110% motor that I basically drove out of his shop fell apart for any internal motor reason.
Guys, think with me for a minute. I do NOT race. I have NOT had my car above 6000 rpm since I got it back from JD. And yet, I still have NO oil pressure (14psi). Not to mention that I have had to repair the power steering pump that was cross threaded ($800), replace an oil pump ($600) that I was told would be replaced, and have the harmonic balancer bolt properly torqued (which came out 5 miles from JD's and then was found to be improperly torqued when the oil pump was replaced).

So how does anyone justify rebuilding an engine (because it had low oil pressure) AND giving it back with the same low oil pressure? Now, due to low oil pressure, my lifters are failing. Do you think that this may be due to low oil pressure? All of the shops I have talked with agree that it is (lifters = furthest point from the oil pump).

Are rebuilt LS1's only good for 1800 miles? -or- in Erik's case... 1500 miles?

Is low oil pressure something that I caused by driving my car? Is this an event that I could have prevented by doing something differently? If so, please explain. I'm going for round 3, an engine a month. I need to know so I can start driving my car and stop putting engines and $$ into this dark hole.

Erik-- All of this to say... I guess a monkey came flying out of my a** TOO!! I also got 110%. Of what, I don't know, but I have been assured that it was 110%.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:22 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ray,FIWIW GM runs these STOCK RODS in ASA motors to 8000 RPM ALL DAY LONG.
Thats not really the issue....

Now that being said,No one really knows what caused the failure,SO RELAX.
JD really got screwed here guys,He was the lord and savor when u all had NO WARRANTY from JPR and once he fixed that absolute junk u all were happy as larks.
Now u race your cars and they blow up..Guess what THATS RACING...

Jay Fisher build me a motor,nothing fancy but if it lets go in the nxt 200 miles guess what,I"M **** OUTTA LUCK!!!He wont warranty anything cause its not his responsibilty,its a race car.

JD is a good mechanic,He's a good friend and from the looks of it (THE BILL) he did a fair job for ERIK for what was required.I think ERIKS motor just blew up,plain and simple.

Its called RACING.....
If Fireball missed a shift,did it kill the motor?
IMO NO but lets say EZ u mightve missed a few shifts in the last few weeks,do ya think that had any effect on the motor.I know your gonna say no ERIK but the truth is hard to find sometimes.

George is kinda in the same boat,He said the car left JD;s shop with KILLER POWER and he PRIASED HIM ON THE BOARD,Now all of a sudden George HATES JD and he is a crook?Come on guys this is BS.U cant priase someone one week and hang them the next,Thats not fair.

Lastly ERIK if your taking to JPR on how things went on your motor from the time it got fixed by JD (WHICH JPR WOULDVE NEVER FIXED) U know he doesnt always tell the truth

Just remeber that bro....
Bear u were warned,JD didnt screw u JPR did....
How much money did JPR get from u,its sad.

11 Bravo like I said I heard (dont know for sure) your motor wasnt getting done by Lorenzo but I could be wrong.I heard Joe P. was putting it together but for your sake I sure hope Lorenzo is doing it...

JD is my friend,I will not let people knock him for BS,LIES and JPR's INCOMPITANCE.
U guys race your cars and u better expect to break them...

JS
DRAG RACER
Old 04-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JS
Now u race your cars and they blow up..Guess what THATS RACING...
Again... I did not and have never raced my car.

Originally Posted by JS
George is kinda in the same boat,He said the car left JD;s shop with KILLER POWER and he PRIASED HIM ON THE BOARD,Now all of a sudden George HATES JD and he is a crook?Come on guys this is BS.
This is true. I did praise JD about the killer power. However, behind the scenes I have been continually asking JD if I needed to be concerned about the low oil pressure (14psi at idle and never over 30psi even during WOT up to 6000 rpm). He told me "no". I could not accept this answer from talking to the Chevy dealer, many vendors and local engine builders (including a NASCAR shop that rebuilds LS1's). They have ALL told me that my engine is going to come apart IF I kept running it and that I may possibly need more parts if I waited to rebuild it. I have been advised to rebuild it now.

JD also admitted to me that he had NEVER built an engine with as low an oil pressure as my engine. This tells me he KNOWS it's wrong and needs to be rebuilt. BUT, it would cost him $$ to do it. Shouldn't he have taken more time to ensure that the problem (low oil pressure) was corrected?

Do you think it makes me feel good or makes me proud to bash another man? I can assure you it does NOT! I hate typing these posts! I called JD and even though he knows the oil pressure issue was NEVER resolved he is not willing to do anything.

So I feel I have no choice but to type these posts in hopes that others who are looking for "good" service will understand what some of us guys have been through.

Originally Posted by JS
U cant priase someone one week and hang them the next,Thats not fair.
AND I guess it is fair that JD can rebuild your engine and NOT fix the problem that he was rebuilding the engine for in the first place?

JS, let me ask you how you would feel IF you were in my shoes? It's easy to sit back and judge me when you haven't even seen my shoes let alone walked in them. I promise you one thing... IF it was at all possible to handle this direct with JD I would NOT be here telling others my story.

Last edited by George C.; 04-29-2004 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:07 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for the record I would like to let everyone know that my H/C Factory stock short block with 50,000 miles was spun to 7000 RPM every pass down the track for 2 years and I never so much as spun a bearing... I even kissed the 7200 RPM limiter a few times and the block stayed together. The car is also my daily driver, and now has 90,000 miles.

So I guess the stock rods aren't that weak after all.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:13 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

George I havent walked in your shoes
JPR screwed u and wouldnt give u a warranty,Thats the issue....

If u had a problem with it when it left JD's u shouldve told Joe D you werent happy with that oil psi.U didnt George,actually u left there and praised JD and said the motor was fine on this board..

Now its not?
Did I miss something?

I agree Rich,thats why I post the ASA guys run the GM rods in the series and spin those babies 8K all day long.They are a strong rod,actually there probably the strongest S/B rod ever made by GM.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JS
If u had a problem with it when it left JD's u shouldve told Joe D you werent happy with that oil psi.U didnt George,actually u left there and praised JD and said the motor was fine on this board..

Now its not?
Did I miss something?
I did tell JD as soon as I could have told him. Here's what happened... I picked the car up at noon on Saturday. Before I even made it 5 miles from the shop I heard a noise and felt it through the steering column. I pulled to the side of the road and called JD. My harmonic balancer bolt had come loose and was hitting against the steering rack. It was late that night before we left JD's shop. He closed and I was on my way back home.

Once I got back home I called JD and told him that the oil pressure was 18psi at idle (once hot). He said this was fine. I wanted to believe him. Why would he lie to me? I told JD that I would post that all was OK. By the way the power feels good... I just don't have any oil pressure (=engine life).

I also told JD that I had power steering fluid all over the car. I took it to Chevy. They said the power steering pump had been cross threaded (at JD's). This cost me $800. JD did not offer to pay a dime for this. I also told JD that I would change the oil at 600 miles to a 10w40. I did. And the oil pressure continued to drop over the next 1000 miles until it was idling at 14psi.

All along I was talking with JD and he was telling me that this was OK. Then I decided to start calling other shops/builders. They ALL told me that this is BS and that if it were their engine they would NOT drive it. So I called JD again and he admitted, "I have NEVER built and engine with this low of oil pressure".

What would this tell YOU?

Not trying to start anything here but simply stating the events that took place.

At any rate, this is not between me and you this is so OTHERS who are discerning will be able to make a good decision as to where and where NOT to take their cars when it comes time to spend their hard earned $$money$$.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:36 AM
Shorty Director

The bottom line is JD said he would "fix" the problems these guys were having. That means REPAIR. I wonder if JD actually put these motors together. It sounds like JPR work. If JPR had no money how could he pay JD for warranty work? Sounds like the warranty work was done by JPR. Judging by JD's unwillingness to fix a motor he supposedly built seem to suggest this. What is JD's rationale for ALL of these engine problems? I hope it is not "It's Racing!"

Last edited by VINCE; 04-29-2004 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

im with vince, he said he would fix the problem, thta takes jpr out of the loop as soon as joe D said he woulf fix it.....its a shame people cant stand by thee work....
Old 04-29-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

one more thing -- I did run just over 1/4 tank + 2 gallons 104 race gas as recommended by JD's as well, even though others recommended against that move. I did all the upgrades and suggestions as JD recommended to run the car.

Quick Reply: New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles