Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine block failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine block failure

To start with my engine is a 99 ls1 with approximately 101k miles on it. Its a stock bottom end car with heads and cam that made 447/409. Car was last driven Saturday with no issues. Monday night rolled around and i was gonna drive it to the gym and as soon as the engine fired had an awful knock that lasted for what seemed like about three seconds. I killed it and thought about it hoping it wasnt majoedr although that was most likely denial. I checked the belt and pulleys due to a squeel ive had tgat i had been previously associating with a leaky power steering unit. Thought maybe i was wrong and it was potentially a pulley loose. That wasnt the problem so next i checked. Not low looks bra wnd new thlookedbrand which it was. Only ten days old. I tried to restart it less than five min later turned over four times and stopped. seemed to turn over slower than normal but not slow enough that anyone that didnt know the car would think anything about it. Got a chance to get under it yesterday only to find a hole in the block slightly larger than a golf ball between the starter and engine mount on passenger side.

I assume the part that caused this was the rod but can anyone tell me why this might have happened? Also have a three inch split in the oil pan.
Attached Thumbnails engine block failure-2013-05-21-07.39.12.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Hydro lock maybe? Has it rained in your area recently or have you ran through any large puddles?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by EricYJ-TA
Hydro lock maybe? Has it rained in your area recently or have you ran through any large puddles?
Has been raining for about a week but moderately and i cant recall hitting any puddles but thats not to say i hadn't. I assumed that would have happened wgile running but ive never experienced it.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Inj leaked down, hydrolocked, jacked the rod out...
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Read this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...r-tonight.html
Old 05-23-2013, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Inj leaked down, hydrolocked, jacked the rod out...
That would be my guess
Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Looked at it this morning and the injector on cylinder six is puddled with water. It is the only cylinder like that as the rest of the intake is completely dry. Passenger side third back from the front. Im assuming that is number six.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

Mine did the same thing. Right in the same spot. Sucks sorry to hear that. Now time to build a killer!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

The only thing im confuse about is the LOCKED part. A couple min after this happened i attempted to crank and it did turn over fine just with no signs of starting so i left it at that. I always assumed they would literally lock like an engine ran dry of oil would.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by intenseblue
To start with my engine is a 99 ls1 with approximately 101k miles on it. Its a stock bottom end car with heads and cam that made 447/409. Car was last driven Saturday with no issues. Monday night rolled around and i was gonna drive it to the gym and as soon as the engine fired had an awful knock that lasted for what seemed like about three seconds. I killed it and thought about it hoping it wasnt majoedr although that was most likely denial. I checked the belt and pulleys due to a squeel ive had tgat i had been previously associating with a leaky power steering unit. Thought maybe i was wrong and it was potentially a pulley loose. That wasnt the problem so next i checked. Not low looks bra wnd new thlookedbrand which it was. Only ten days old. I tried to restart it less than five min later turned over four times and stopped. seemed to turn over slower than normal but not slow enough that anyone that didnt know the car would think anything about it. Got a chance to get under it yesterday only to find a hole in the block slightly larger than a golf ball between the starter and engine mount on passenger side.

I assume the part that caused this was the rod but can anyone tell me why this might have happened? Also have a three inch split in the oil pan.
I wish people would post from computers using spell-check instead of DUMB-phones. Posting from phones should be banned! Posting from a computer w/o spell-check is lazy:

Spell-check for phones
Spell-check for computers
Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I wish people would post from computers using spell-check instead of DUMB-phones. Posting from phones should be banned! Posting from a computer w/o spell-check is lazy:

Spell-check for phones
Post was typed through an android device. Spelling issue was due to my phone resetting my writing point MULTIPLE times and I had a hell of a time trying to put it in the correct place. Laptop crashed last week or it would have been the device used. Spelling was due to malfunction. Do you want me to tell you what it was meant to say?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Looked at it this morning and the injector on cylinder six is puddled with water. It is the only cylinder like that as the rest of the intake is completely dry. Passenger side third back from the front. Im assuming that is number six.
Windshield cowling leaked water onto engine and either the intake was a little loose or it got past the injector oring.

I seriously doubt the fuel did this, mostly because there isn't enough fuel under pressure in the rail after the engine is shut off. Also fuel is thin enough to blow past the rings. Most guys just assume fuel caused it and never consider water leaking onto the engine from GMs crapola plastic unsealed windshield cowling.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by S10xGN

Spell-check for phones
wow take a pill dood.........
Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Post was typed through an android device. Spelling issue was due to my phone resetting my writing point MULTIPLE times and I had a hell of a time trying to put it in the correct place. Laptop crashed last week or it would have been the device used. Spelling was due to malfunction. Do you want me to tell you what it was meant to say?
No.

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
wow take a pill dood.........
Sorry to sound harsh, I grew up in an era where phones were, well, phones. Ya know? For making calls? Now everyone wants them to double as computers, and users just post crap from a 2" screen without looking at what they're posting. Communication skills are GONE. I'm just tired of posts reading like a 3rd grader made them. Wait, you don't suppose...
Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

I bought a new Maverick WHEN THEY CAME OUT............ chill out

Quick Reply: engine block failure