Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 500-515 HP build, Texas Speed Advise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by squirlNUTZ
PCM's for less? Serious?
I drove my lq4 with simi stock PCM and a 3600 stall no lights before (upgrade) and then had it "tuned" not "flashed" like in the 80's...WTF?
When you tune a car, you have to flash the tune you created to the PCM. On most mail order deals the tune has already been created and tested on another similar combo, so they would then just flash that to your pcm and send it back to you. It's pretty common actually.

Originally Posted by Steve83ta
Yeah thats why I was talking to brian tooly this morning, he has gotten 360 rhp of of his LS6 with just a cam and springs. Its a monster cam so Im trying to find some people other then him that have vid's of it.

Steve
I'm assuming you meant 460?

The is a coule of reasons I don't want to cnc port the head. Plus you had the the truck heads right? Im not sure I want to spend the exta 700 dollars to port them just go gain another 10-12 hp. Head Flow isn't eveything you can also do some damange to them while running them through the cnc by making them too smooth affecting the attomization or the air mixture. The Ls6 has a nature swirl in them to help atomize fuel. You make the ports to smooth you take that way. i have a lot of machine back traing.

Its also a crap shot when dealing with differnet heads. Some heads love it and some not sure much. And a couple of other reasons Im not going to it be doing that at this time. Im trying kepp this upgade to under 900 dollars. Thats why Im maininly lookin at the best spring/cam combination for this setup.
You will gain quite a bit more than 10hp having the LS6's ported. There are a lot of reputable shops out there that have great cnc programs for those heads so you don't really have to worry about that. But if you're serious about getting some AFR's then of course it doesn't matter. However, it will change your cam choice depending on exactly which head you will go with so you need to get that set in stone before you choose your cam.

Also on the rear end thing, when your 10 bolt breaks, don't waste your time rebuilding it. Just find a nice used 12 bolt or 9" and be done with it. You can usually get a decent used one for around 1500-2k.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
=I'm assuming you meant 460?
Yeah I was I finger fudged....
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Also on the rear end thing, when your 10 bolt breaks, don't waste your time rebuilding it. Just find a nice used 12 bolt or 9" and be done with it. You can usually get a decent used one for around 1500-2k.
Depending on what breaks I might rebuild it. If its the posi. I just replace it. If its the gears, Ill prob upgrade to strange, after that then i will have to think about it.

it won't cost me much at all since ill be doing all the work. I trashed 2 10 bolts 10 years ago, one the posi went the other the Pinion lost its teeth.

I upgraded to Strange gears and an Auburn Unit plus a support cover and never had another problem. That was with about 430 hp in my 84 Trans Am

Last edited by Steve83ta; 06-01-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive looked into a supercharger, but they don't make one that fits nicely under the f-bodys cowl. And Im not going to cut it to make it fit. Im not a fan of the vortec ones so thats out also.
So Vortec is the only type supercharger that will fit on your 98 trans am? You must be thinking of positive displacement superchargers like a Maggie or Wipple. You do know that procharger makes an entire kit that will fit on your trans am without hacking anything up right? And it's inner cooled! I was in the boat you are in a few years ago but with just an ls1 not an ls6. I decided to go procharger which will give me my goal now and give me room for more if choose to forge the motor later. Just giving you another option in case you over looked it.

Good luck with your build
Jason
Old 05-31-2013, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Depending on what breaks I might rebuild it. If its the posi. I just replace it. If its the gears, Ill prob upgrade to strange, after that then i will have to think about it.

it won't cost me much at all since ill be doing all the work.
The big problem with putting high HP in these cars is they are up to 15years old. The parts they were given at times couldn't hold the factory level power. I'm not saying 500hp can't be done with factory driveline, but remember every time you use it you risk breaking something expensive.

Also NSSANE02 is right. I went through two sets of gears in this thing when it was stock, through an auto even! Once you put 500 in it, the rear will be a ticking time bomb. Go after market assembly even it you do most of the work yourself by the time you add it all up you could have a 9" used that you could rebuild.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

it won't cost me much at all since ill be doing all the work.
I'm just trying to save you some time and money. You can rebuild it if you want but it WILL break again, no matter what gear set or diff you put in it. The 10 bolt is just a weak rear, period. There's no good way to "build it".
Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have the mighty 10 bolt. Its a hit or miss, ive seen some take 450hp and never break, others break under stock power. Wait til it breaks and throw a 9" rear in there. Only way to go.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I still have the mighty 10 bolt. Its a hit or miss, ive seen some take 450hp and never break, others break under stock power. Wait til it breaks and throw a 9" rear in there. Only way to go.
What about the Strange S60 rear end. Those are know to be 8 sec. ET's reliable, smooth & quiet on the street and only 20-25 lbs heavier then the 12" bolt rear. Just curious, how do those compare to the 9"?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
What about the Strange S60 rear end. Those are know to be 8 sec. ET's reliable, smooth & quiet on the street and only 20-25 lbs heavier then the 12" bolt rear. Just curious, how do those compare to the 9"?
9" are in the 7's too, they're plenty strong. And mine weighs about the same as my 10 bolt.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I'm definitely gonna have my LS6 heads ported. LS6 heads flow really well. AFR heads are like $2600. For the best port job AI offers and a few options like bronze guides and such its less than half the money. I am not entirely sure its worth the extra 1200 bux for AFR heads. But damn, they are some amazing heads. If I had more money I would totally get them, but I'm trying to stretch my dollar a bit. I second what R6cowboy said... Get the cam speced for the future AFR heads. That way you don't have to spend money twice on a cam.
Yeah Right now its all about my game plan. I know there is some to take out, but not much, but hey thats what the cnc machine is for, they don't mistakes when they are programed correctly and the bits don't break.

This time next year Ill be putting AFR's on, like I said I didn't want to do a head job twice in a year on this car.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jastone
So Vortec is the only type supercharger that will fit on your 98 trans am? You must be thinking of positive displacement superchargers like a Maggie or Wipple. You do know that procharger makes an entire kit that will fit on your trans am without hacking anything up right? And it's inner cooled! I was in the boat you are in a few years ago but with just an ls1 not an ls6. I decided to go procharger which will give me my goal now and give me room for more if choose to forge the motor later. Just giving you another option in case you over looked it.

Good luck with your build
Jason
Yes I was specifically referring to the Maggie since in my opinion they have the nicest set up for under the hood except or the cut you have to make in the cowl which Im not doing... Such a shame becuase I love that kit on the GTO's and the new Camaro's. Its one nice kit, looks like it belongs there stock.

You know I might have missed the Procharger one. Im going to go look it up tonight. I briefly look up the turbo that runs off the rear exhaust, but that is why too much pluming under the car looking to get damaged at the first speed bump.

Thanks for the heads up

Steve
Old 06-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Talk to Brian Tooley. He had a stock LS6, cam only do 460hp to the tire in a vette.
Ive talked to Brian on the phone and by email and Im pretty much decided on his cam at this point for what I want to do. It sounds like a killer combination for 4 hours or work. Also the price isn't bad either, for the cam, dual springs, steel retainers, and hardened pushrods its around 700, Its a huge bump for the money. Eveything else is done do this car except for porting. So this is the only place to go.

Personally If I had the 13,000 laying around I WANT Z06/ Camaro ZL1 Camaro engine. BAD! Look it up on you tube. What an engine!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was looking around today for more to add to my future parts list... GM iron 7 liter blocks are fairly inexpensive. about $2700 for the block... a 7 liter iron block... the possibilities of such a stout hunk of metal make my ***** move.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...97512/10002/-1
Old 06-01-2013, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Some people need to understand we aren't in the 80's anymore.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Some people need to understand we aren't in the 80's anymore.
True True, Thanks again for pointing me in Brian's direction.

Im going to go with his stage IV cam/spring package. The only thing that bothers me I can't find anyone to talk to personally that uses it. Ive found a bunch of Cts-V guy's running his stage 3 cam which the numbers really aren't that different at all from the IV, but I would still like to hear how the IV idles and how it drives from someone who has it. Im sure its fine since everyone with the stage 3 seem to love it!
Old 07-05-2023, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
At least for my car, I get pretty bad wheel hop u dear wot through first and second. My build is gonna start with the rear end and work its way forward. As far as I have researched, all the traction kits and anti hop axles and stuff have minimal effect on wheel hop. I'm probably going to go the 8.8 rear end route. Its cheaper and pretty good up to more power than I will ever have... Its just something to think about really, for reliability's sake. And a ford rear will allow ratio swaps in an hour. So you can drive to the track and swap the gears to some 4.11 or higher and really carve a 60 time to be proud of.
I am original owner ofo5 cts v, with FG2 shocks and a crearive steel front rear mount. Trans is stock rear mount eith a creatve steel insert. I have no wheel hop. As far as the rear end being week, if you aren't into dumping clutch at high rpms there isn't a problem.
personally I would start with a vin specific tune that is then customized. You wouldn't believe the results. Oh, I have 106,000 miles on it
no drivtrsdrivetrain issues other than those incredibly weak mounts.
good luck
Old 07-05-2023, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Fedorath
I am original owner ofo5 cts v, with FG2 shocks and a crearive steel front rear mount. Trans is stock rear mount eith a creatve steel insert. I have no wheel hop. As far as the rear end being week, if you aren't into dumping clutch at high rpms there isn't a problem.
personally I would start with a vin specific tune that is then customized. You wouldn't believe the results. Oh, I have 106,000 miles on it
no drivtrsdrivetrain issues other than those incredibly weak mounts.
good luck
You're replying to a 10-year old thread...
The following 2 users liked this post by G Atsma:
02*C5 (07-07-2023), 02EBC5Z06 (07-06-2023)

Quick Reply: LS6 500-515 HP build, Texas Speed Advise?