Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvetrain/Ptv getting hung up

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvetrain/Ptv getting hung up

Been doing my cam/lifter swap for awhile now and nothing but problems. With a solid lifter and checker springs, I put in a 7.400 pushrod, set to zero lash, turned motor over and I was given clearance on both intake/exhaust. Being happy with this, I went to bolt the head down with factory springs, but still solid lifters, 7.400 pushrod, I tightened down rocker to 22ft.lb. awhile I was torquing down, the spring compressed, a lot before the rocker reached 22ft.lb. I went to turn the motor over it just stops (I'm assuming piston to valve contact is stopping it). What is causing this?
Why are my springs collapsing when tightening rockers?

Car/parts: 98 Camaro
Tsp 233/239 cam
7.400 pushrods (have not measured to check of these are what ill be using, I was told to check for length after heads are installed by tsp??)
Stock 806 ls1 heads, decked 5 thousands just to clean gasket off
New springs up to .650 lift if I remember correctly (purchased with cam package from tsp, was originally going to run ms4)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

You need to use an adjustable pushrod. Since the 7.400" pushrod is deigned to give you preload in the lifter, it is instead compressing the spring since you have a solid lifter. This is opening the valve more, causing your PTV issue.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

You need to put the hydraulics lifters in if you already checked ptv clearance. When you tighten the rockers with the hydraulics it will preload the lifter and not hold the spring open. The valve may open when you first tighten it down but the lifter will bleed off and the valve will close.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by badassracing
You need to put the hydraulics lifters in if you already checked ptv clearance. When you tighten the rockers with the hydraulics it will preload the lifter and not hold the spring open. The valve may open when you first tighten it down but the lifter will bleed off and the valve will close.
He didn't check PTV correctly, that what KCS is saying.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we need a sticky on measuring push rod length and ptv, there are so many threads that pop up about this.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I used an adjustable pushrod when checking ptv, I didn't use the 7.400 like previously stated. So what I wanted to do was turn the motor over without the zero lash deal, so it was the real world situation when I go to fire it up.
So I stuck 7.400 pushrod, used my new springs, and torqued the rockers to 22ft.lb, and it collapsed the spring a bunch, then when I turned the motor over, it just stops.

Since I already checked the ptv, and I'm happy with my clearances, should I now stick my new ls7 lifters in there, slide in a 7.400 pushrod, tighten to 22ft.lb, then turn motor over to make sure everything is ok? Will this be accurate since once the motor is turned on, the lifter is pumped up with oil, making it act as a solid? or am I not understanding this correctly?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by tyler99
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I used an adjustable pushrod when checking ptv, I didn't use the 7.400 like previously stated. So what I wanted to do was turn the motor over without the zero lash deal, so it was the real world situation when I go to fire it up.
So I stuck 7.400 pushrod, used my new springs, and torqued the rockers to 22ft.lb, and it collapsed the spring a bunch, then when I turned the motor over, it just stops.

Since I already checked the ptv, and I'm happy with my clearances, should I now stick my new ls7 lifters in there, slide in a 7.400 pushrod, tighten to 22ft.lb, then turn motor over to make sure everything is ok? Will this be accurate since once the motor is turned on, the lifter is pumped up with oil, making it act as a solid? or am I not understanding this correctly?
When you put in the hydraulic lifters, they'll compress a little when you turn the engine over with the real springs. This is why you use the solid lifter to check piston to valve clearance.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Yes just put the ls7 lifters in and your good to go
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

OK. The thing im not getting is when checking ptv, you use a solid lifter to make sure there is clearance because otherwise the lifter collapses from the pressure. When I start the motor, the lifters are going to pump up with oil, wont this make the lifter act as a solid lifter? Granted I have very little knowledge of valvetrain so I may be totally wrong.

With that being said, right now, when I turn the motor over with real pushrods, springs, but still a solid lifter, why does my motor seize, timing chain gets super tight, and I can no longer turn the motor over? I just re-did this text with clay just to see if piston and valve are hitting super hard causing it to stop, but they are NOT. Whats causing this?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

OMG it is a pure case of the blind leading the blind.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL You need a push-rod length checker to find out what length push-rods you will need. You need to measure ptv clearance after finding the proper size push-rods you will need and can do this from a few methods. You can use the clay method which involves putty a piece of clay down on top of the piston and measuring the clay after you do an imprint of it or you can use a dial indicator that sits on top of the spring retainer to measure movement but you need to find the total amount of movement from piston to valve contact first as a baseline then you can subtract from that to get your PTV clearance.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gotta walk before you run.
First I would follow proper procedure to install rockers. (just tightening to 22ftlbs) and rotating the motor does not do it.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Continue attempting to turn the engine over and you may find yourself w/ some bent valves, pushrods, etc...
Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here's my write-up

http://www.scribd.com/doc/137049285/...RAFT-20-Apr-13
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Quit giving the guy ****.

OP, you only checked PTV the first time around. And you did it correctly.
You didn't establish the correct pushrod length.

That needs to be done with the hyd lifter you plan to use. Same process. Find 0 lash with the lifter on the base circle, measure the checking pushrod, add the amount of preload you want, say .080" and you now know the correct length and can order.

The 22ft lbs is only the torque spec for the bolt. Nothing else.

This simple direct measurement eliminates counting turns and confusion.

It does require a pair of 8" calipers avail from Horrible Fright for about $20.

Ron
Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
OMG it is a pure case of the blind leading the blind.
Why don't you go and suck on a peep show mop predator face guy
Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default pushrod checker

i bought one of these..pretty slick and you don't need a large caliper..i just need another one so i can check the exhaust and intake at the same time when checking ptv clearance...http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/7702-1/10002/-1 hth Bob
Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 64post
Why don't you go and suck on a peep show mop predator face guy
Nah, I don't want to cut in on your pleasure.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Quit giving the guy ****.

OP, you only checked PTV the first time around. And you did it correctly.
You didn't establish the correct pushrod length.

That needs to be done with the hyd lifter you plan to use. Same process. Find 0 lash with the lifter on the base circle, measure the checking pushrod, add the amount of preload you want, say .080" and you now know the correct length and can order.

The 22ft lbs is only the torque spec for the bolt. Nothing else.

This simple direct measurement eliminates counting turns and confusion.

It does require a pair of 8" calipers avail from Horrible Fright for about $20.

Ron
Thanks for your help! This is what I was looking for. I started car up last night and it seems to run great!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks for your help! This is what I was looking for. I started car up last night and it seems to run great!
Good news!

Ron

Quick Reply: Valvetrain/Ptv getting hung up