Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rod/main bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rod/main bearing replacement

I am in the proccess of doing a 5.3 turbo build. I was given a complete truck which I am pulling the motor soon. The motor runs perfect but is highish milage. I plan on putting new rings in gapped properly and inspecting the bearings. My question is if the bearings look worn can I replace them with std size without polishing the crank etc?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, stock size would be fine, but you need to mic it out just to make 100% certain that the crank has not been turned.
I would still suggest polishing the crank yourself, it's not hard to do. Just get some 400 grit emory cloth and cut it into strips and slowly work your way around the journals. My crank had 214k miles on it and looked great when I was done.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I will mic it to make sure its good and polish it. I just didn't want to get into machining costs on a free motor!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Have you taken it apart yet?

Mine had 136K and I'll be reusing the bearings.

The factory select fits the rod bearings, so simply replacing with a .std set won't guarantee correct clearance. The stock rods being cracked cap, are a bit tricky to rebuild, there are special bearings for that.

Consult you machinest.

Ron
Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Teching In

No, the motor is still in the truck. I plan on pulling and inspecting it next weekend. I am hoping to reuse the bearings but just wanted to know incase they are quite worn. The motor has 180k so who knows what they will look like. If I were to replace them should I just get the rods resized and use oversized rod bearings? What about using std size bi-metal bearings? Would they be any better since they allow a little wear to fit properly?(from what I have read.. not sure if it is true or not)

Last edited by c.bayens; 06-22-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: rod/main bearing replacement