Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank taking a hit

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Crank taking a hit

I just had a new shortblock built and picked it up in my truck, we mounted it to one of those shipping engine stands... And then strapped against the tailgate with the crank facing the front of the vehicle...

Well first hard stop on the breaks and the strap broke and the engine was slidin forward to the cabin,, I freaked when it got half way and slammed on the brakes and it rammed crank first into the cabin... We have a plastic truck liner and that dented in and it dented the metal behind it.. I had a arp crank bolt threaded all the way into it as well. I pulled over and checked everything out, the crank bolt threaded in and out fine so no damaged threads..

But after reading posts about people saying the crank thrust bearing is not designed to take hits, how can I check to see if I did any damage? I told my engine builder and he rotated the engine and it was turning fine, he was going to check crank end play and runout but the front cover was on and couldn't get his dial indicator to sit properly...

Would you consider that hit to warrant concern?

My engine builder insist that I'm fine, I just would like to hear other engine builders opinions on this, how much force can the crank snout take before hurting anything..
Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True Story... Back in 06' I sent my camaro in for a UD install. Anyway the Certified GM tech installed it with a small sledge/deadblow hammer to get the damn thing in. The pulley was beat the Hell up but it was running Fine no issues, no codes, engine was smooth and no leaks. i was happy with my car running fine but that was the last time i ever let anyone work on my car with out me present.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Lesson - sit the engine sideways in the truck bed or put a couple of blocks of wood around the snout.

I'd at least have it checked out more thoroughly. I mean, it's better to check it now then have an issue down the line and have to pull the engine.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if the crank rotates freely then you have some amount of crankshaft end play. If there is no binding or any "tough spots" then i would say your good to go. I do agree with Jake on the lesson learned though.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah I talked to a local engine builder, he was saying I should be fine as well..

I was thinking since the truck had a bed liner that when it hit it bent in and kind of cushioned it vs it hitting a wall with no give..

Quick Reply: Crank taking a hit