Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine codes after cam install.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine codes after cam install.. help!

I just finished my 233/239 cam install with all of the supporting mods. Heads were removed to change lifters. Headers were also installed with a pacesetter y-pipe.

I scanned to see reasons why check engine light was on, and It shows all of these:
p0300, p0121, p0140, p0160, p0118, p0327, p0332, p0140, p0160, p0300, p0327, p0332

As you can see, some of these are repeated, not sure why they showed up in the scanner twice. When I googled these, some are knock sensors, coolant, misfires, ECT.

I have a tune scheduled here in the next couple of weeks and im starting to wonder, which of these codes are caused by the cam itself being untuned, and which of these codes do I need to worry about and fix BEFORE I go to get the car tuned?

Also, if the car is in the garage and started, it burns so rich it can make eyes burn/water, is this normal for a header/cam swap unturned with no cats?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The P0300 is a general misfire code. P0121 is a throttle position sensor code.
The P0140 a driver's side post-cat O2 snesor code. The P0160 is a passenger side post-cat O2 sensor code. The P0118 is a engine temperature sensor code. The P0327 and P0332 are related to the knock sensors - the fact that both appear points to the harness rather than the sensors.

I think you have some of the engine wiring harnesses still unconnected or misconnected. A bad battery or bad negative ground can also cause multiple codes.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darkman
The P0140 a driver's side post-cat O2 snesor code. The P0160 is a passenger side post-cat O2 sensor code. The P0118 is a engine temperature sensor code. The P0327 and P0332 are related to the knock sensors - the fact that both appear points to the harness rather than the sensors.

I think you have some of the engine wiring harnesses still unconnected or misconnected. A bad battery or bad negative ground can also cause multiple codes.
As far as the 02's go, im not worried about those, im pretty sure they were removed when removing the cats for the headers and a tune will delete that code out. The temp sensor, I just remembered that I forgot to install the plug in the cyl.1 drivers head when I first started the car, so it must have pulled that code during the first couple of mins of being started because I reset all the codes, and the only ones that came back are the 02's and the knock (p0327 & p0332). What causes a knock sensor to trigger? It did NOT have these codes before I did the cam install. Car only has 15 miles since the install, so something I did caused this during the cam install.

If I measured pushrods incorrectly, could that be the cause? I don't hear much valvetrain noise, but i'm also no professional. If I rev it to 2-3k and hold it, I can hear light ticking, but nothing compared to the tick it had before I swapped the lifters before this swap, so to me it sounds pretty quiet.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Darkman answered your knock sensor possibilities..
Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pauls99z28
Darkman answered your knock sensor possibilities..
Yes, I read that. But im now wondering if wrong size pushrods would cause both knock sensors to freak out and give me the check engine light?

Also, my exhaust is not "fully" attached and is a little loose, could that cause a "knock" as far as the sensor is concerned?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Did you remove the intake manifold during the install?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Did you remove the intake manifold during the install?
Yes sir. So there is a good chance I pinched a wire awhile putting it back on like you have both said. but what are the odds of pinching both? or is there one main wire that could be pinched? I didn't pay much attention to these wires upon install so I don't remember what it looked like.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tyler99
... but what are the odds of pinching both?
The odds are actually high. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

The odds are actually high. Don't ask me how I know.
hahah ok. Thanks for the tip man! I'll pull the intake off Monday when ive got a day off and see how things look.
...If they are pinched, were they very noticeable? Solder back together?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tyler99
hahah ok. Thanks for the tip man! I'll pull the intake off Monday when ive got a day off and see how things look.
...If they are pinched, were they very noticeable? Solder back together?
On mine they were wrapped together and were pinched at the back of the intake. If they are pinched it is best to replace the harness - runs from the sensors to a connector and is not particularly expensive, but usually is a dealer item. Since this a low voltage circuit mending the wires may create a point of high resistance.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

On mine they were wrapped together and were pinched at the back of the intake. If they are pinched it is best to replace the harness - runs from the sensors to a connector and is not particularly expensive, but usually is a dealer item. Since this a low voltage circuit mending the wires may create a point of high resistance.
Sounds good! Thanks again
Old 06-27-2013, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have the codes written down, I would delete them and see if they immediately come back. It could be something stupid as you turned the key on with the sensors unplugged, it could be a wiring issue. If its the first, they will delete and not come back. If its a pinched wire, they pop back almost immediately.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vwdave
Since you have the codes written down, I would delete them and see if they immediately come back. It could be something stupid as you turned the key on with the sensors unplugged, it could be a wiring issue. If its the first, they will delete and not come back. If its a pinched wire, they pop back almost immediately.
I actually did that and that got rid of the coolant and throttle position codes. The knock sensor came right back on, so it must be a pinched wire. I'm trying to get ahold of an ls6 intake before I take it off.

Quick Reply: Check engine codes after cam install.. help!