Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot VS. MTI check this out

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:52 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PBJones,
Yeah that Is Pearland TX. Like every one has stated they are a part that does not were out, the springs and valve guides do, but over all they will flow the same forever if you get what I am saying. So if I were you I would just clean them check the valve guides for excessive wear and install new springs for the next 10K. Don't look at flow numbers and try to compare with out looking to see what size bore they were flowed on a lot of companies flow on a 4.0" bore and it does make them flow better. So for a 3.9" bore those are some good numbers. Just my .02. If you are down here again look me up I have a nice garage and I could install those heads for ya.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the MTI heads, and then send them back to MTI to get freshened up.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:52 AM
FormerVendor

I agree with 11 Bravo... Pick up the MTI heads and send em back to Jayson. Let MTI update them for a few hundred bucks and check everything out before install.

I completely disagree with the statement about 1200. bucks and buying the PP heads.... Theres a quite a few people on here who opted for that, then added a spring install, seal replacement, head removal etc etc which in the end cost WAY more than the original 1200.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,004 Posts

What Cammin and the others have said.

MTI and I would send them to MTI to get them freshened up.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would NOT use the 941 springs on the MTI heads if you go that route.

Both heads should work well IMO.

With the PPs being new you at least get a warranty on them as well.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Brian @ Texas Speed & Performance's Avatar

Another thing to consider is the Patriot 5.3l heads. The last set that we flowed went a true 300cfm on the intake, & they retail for $1295! Patriot now uses viton seals & has implemented new measures to insure each set of heads are awesome when they leave!
(806) 866-0734
Old 04-29-2004, 11:10 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

[QUOTE=pbjones81]point taken. but if i may ask, gomer said he would never buy a set that was ported 3 years ago. is this because of the TECHNIQUE they used 3 years ago or is it because they just wear out after 3 years of use and lose their effectiveness? and if its the latter, what makes a set of heads lose their "flowability" (if thats even a word )?

QUOTE]

Because gomer is a Patriot nut swinger! Anytime someone mentions the name Patriot he is always there to be their poster boy.

As for the 3 year old MTI heads, call them and talk to Jayson. There have been significant performance gains made in the past couple of years in regards to head porting. Have MTI update them and swap out those Comp 941's for a better double spring. That would be the smartest thing to do.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=Richie Carbone]
Originally Posted by pbjones81
point taken. but if i may ask, gomer said he would never buy a set that was ported 3 years ago. is this because of the TECHNIQUE they used 3 years ago or is it because they just wear out after 3 years of use and lose their effectiveness? and if its the latter, what makes a set of heads lose their "flowability" (if thats even a word )?

QUOTE]

Because gomer is a Patriot nut swinger! Anytime someone mentions the name Patriot he is always there to be their poster boy.

As for the 3 year old MTI heads, call them and talk to Jayson. There have been significant performance gains made in the past couple of years in regards to head porting. Have MTI update them and swap out those Comp 941's for a better double spring. That would be the smartest thing to do.

Good luck!
I never said that the Patriot heads were better than the MTI's and I never will. He was talking about a 3 year old set of heads. Btw... the heads that are on my car are Texas Speed's heads.

Last edited by gomer; 04-29-2004 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Removed invite for Richie to kiss my ass
Old 04-29-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gomer
I never said that the Patriot heads were better than the MTI's and I never will. He was talking about a 3 year old set of heads. Btw... the heads that are on my car are Texas Speed heads. I'll be in Orlando in two weeks, maybe you'd like to get together and "talk" about calling me names.
come on dudes, save it for the track. whats the point in beating someone senseless over name calling?
Old 04-29-2004, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

what thread did you read that said that Patriots were the highest flowing head and they kick everyones *** at the track ? Brian, they have " implemented new measures" ? what the F--k ? The measures were supposed to be implemented from day 1! They just started out and already implemented new measures ? Huh? Get the Mti heads, have them checked, then updated and go find you someone that has the "implemented" patriots and give'em the break !
Old 04-29-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a set of MTI stage 2's with those valves on my car, they were great heads.....

If I go back to N/A I'll be getting those LS6 PP heads, anyone have flow #'s for these?
Old 04-29-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Are the PP heads LQ heads with welded chambers?
Old 04-29-2004, 07:20 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

I never said that the Patriot heads were better than the MTI's and I never will. He was talking about a 3 year old set of heads. Btw... the heads that are on my car are Texas Speed's heads.
gomer, take your peice of **** to the track and quit being a dyno *****. Dyno numbers don't mean **** unless you can back them up. Oh and as far as the kiss your *** comment...sorry but I don't share the same interests you do!

Don't worry I'll still be here in Orlando when you get here

Last edited by Richie Carbone; 05-03-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why cant we all just get along???
Old 04-29-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there are other head manufacturers as well...

you might try AP Performance Stage 1 heads (do a search, they are equivalent to other companies Stage 2 heads) and they priced the same as PP 5.3's...

you could do MTI Stage 2E heads...1795 w/ no core...they should perform well...

if you decided to buy the 3 year old MTI heads i would definatley send them back and get them checked out...you will have to pay for new springs as well...the 941's need to go...

you also could get some PP Stage 2 5.3's like me...i've seen a few people loosing 30rw with my converter unlocked, so my car might be putting down around 430 locked...which wouldnt be bad

all in all...i think the price of the used mti heads would be the determining factor for me...good luck
Old 04-30-2004, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Default .

forgive me for this question, but my 3 previous f-bodys have all been M6's, but what does "locked" and "unlocked" mean? thanks

Originally Posted by mikemodano9c
there are other head manufacturers as well...

you might try AP Performance Stage 1 heads (do a search, they are equivalent to other companies Stage 2 heads) and they priced the same as PP 5.3's...

you could do MTI Stage 2E heads...1795 w/ no core...they should perform well...

if you decided to buy the 3 year old MTI heads i would definatley send them back and get them checked out...you will have to pay for new springs as well...the 941's need to go...

you also could get some PP Stage 2 5.3's like me...i've seen a few people loosing 30rw with my converter unlocked, so my car might be putting down around 430 locked...which wouldnt be bad

all in all...i think the price of the used mti heads would be the determining factor for me...good luck
Old 04-30-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pbjones81
forgive me for this question, but my 3 previous f-bodys have all been M6's, but what does "locked" and "unlocked" mean? thanks

unlocked = tq converter is allowed to "slip" to allow the engine to rev into its powerband before the power is transferred to the input shaft and through the transmission. this is the benefit of a tq converter...the benefit is the higher rpm launches and tq multiplication...the downside is that depending on the converters efficiency the input shaft of the transmission will never see the full rpm the flexplate is turning, thus your loosing top end power...

locked = the flexplate and input shaft are turning 1:1...so basically your motor is turning the same speed as your input shaft since the converter is locked up and not allowed to slip

hope that was clear enough...

by the explanation it should be clear why you would want to dyno "locked" to get your final hp/tq numbers, since unlocked numbers will depend on the quality and design of the converter itself...
Old 04-30-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Btw... the heads that are on my car are Texas Speed's heads.
Gomer, clarify this for me please, you were a staunch PP heads guy. As I recall, you've had at least 2 different sets of PP heads and possibly three. Now you say "the heads that are on my car are Texas Speed's heads". What does that mean? Are you still running PP heads you bought from TSP or have you gone completely away from PP heads?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS125
Gomer, clarify this for me please, you were a staunch PP heads guy. As I recall, you've had at least 2 different sets of PP heads and possibly three. Now you say "the heads that are on my car are Texas Speed's heads". What does that mean? Are you still running PP heads you bought from TSP or have you gone completely away from PP heads?
they are tsp's design but they are machined i suppose by patriot so take that FWIW...In this case if im not mistaken gomer sent his old patriot heads back to have them upgraded to tsp's spec's?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as for the question at hand I'd stick with the $1200 pricetag on these heads...to get them checked out and with new springs installed hes probably looking @ 1600-1700 total outlay and like mentioned there are lots of heads out there that can be bought for that price AS, MTI, PP, AP and personally I'd rather know i bought something new and everything should be taken care of fromt hat point on...thats not to say after mti looks those heads over they wouldnt give you some sort of warranty on it but who knows. Call MTI and see what they will do for you and charge and go from there.

lata
Bill