Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Me an Engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Me an Engine!!

Okay, heres the deal I am building a pro-touring 68 Camaro with an LS1 T56 combo. I plan on going twin turbo down the road and I will use pistons to lower my compression when necessary.

Build my engine for me!!
Give me what you would do with $2500-3000 on a brand new LS1...the $2500 must include heads, cam, intake and whatever else is necessary...custom tuning must be taken into consideration if necessary...

Please guys, help me out I'm a newbie and I am so lost..I have a beautiful LS1 Sitting outside in my trailer and I want to get to ripping it apart to make it better...what setups do you recommend??

Many Thanks,
Ralph

P.S. Tony thank you for having such a great site to share information on!!
Old 03-09-2003, 11:31 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Build Me an Engine!!

Ummm, put $2500 in a 10 year CD and come back with a few times that much. You will be lucky if you can even get heads, cam, headers, etc. at bargain basement rates.

I'm not being negative, just realistic. A set of pistons easily will go 600 bucks, rods are another 1100 or so. Don't forget the couple hundred bucks you'll spend on bolts and gaskets. Heads will easily top the 2500 bucks by the time you get everything you need, including the near 400 to 500 that most shops get for tuning.

Basically the finances are stacked against you. That being the case I would just work on the exhaust and maybe a good cam and some springs with no head work. You should be able to make some great power by just doing a few things with what you have.

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

agreed. you may want to consider old school iron. you can build them for almost half the cost of our LS-1's. they just haven't been out long enough for the prices to drop to SBC prices. sorry to rain on your parade.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Well what I Was initially planning on doing was going with the LS6 conversion because that will put me where I Want to be first with power...the car will be converted to twin turbo in about 8 months so this power is just temporary...looks like my only option is to go with the LS6 conversion and Tony has already recommended to not go that way..Now I have no idea what to do..I think I might just go with the LS6 conversion for now and then change things when I go twin turbo...I dunno...I got a great deal on this LS1 and I need the all aluminum small block for weight savings so I really dont want to go with the old school iron..I already bought a set of turbo headers for $700..so I have about $2500 to spend..I think I will go with some 6.0l truck heads and a decent Cam and some custom tuning with the ls6 intake..I'll probably just get the heads ported down the road..what kind of power can I expect with that setup??

Thanks in advance,
Ralph

P.S. Who sells regular 6.0L truck heads for the LS6...Does anyone have a part number??

Thanks again!!
Old 03-10-2003, 08:32 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can probably get 6.0L heads from several of the sponsors over there ->. It would be basically the same as buying one of their 6.0L cores. However you might want to look at a 5.3L head instead. Just a thought.

As far as your setup goes, buy a camshaft for the stock heads and some springs. You'll be putting down some good numbers fairly inexpensive. Definitely look at what you want for an exhaust. You'll be choking it off unless you can fab up something inexpensive. Even using the manifolds with some better plumbing will be better than nothing.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know about staying under the budget, but here's the buildup I would do.
TEA 6.0L Heads (73cc chambers) with Cometic gaskets
Turbo Specific Cam (even if you're not going turbo YET)
You won't need to buy headers, because with a turbo kit in the works, they'd just be a waste.
Custom tuning will run you near $500 bucks and any competent shop should be able to do this for you.
If the motor doesn't have an LS6 intake, I'd recommend buying one of these as well. You can search the classifieds for these and they shouldn't be more then a couple hundred bucks.
Also, make sure you get a set of straight thru mufflers. With a turbocharger, they will make a big difference. A nice 3" mandrel bent exhaust system with something like a bullet race muffler would work.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Id use 6.0l heads with lots of work on the exaust runner, a 228/224 .578/.575 114lsa 114icl, and since its going in a 69 camaro u have room for a 6.0l truck intake use it, it flows better than the LS6 intake, later down the road get diamond to make u some flat tops with 8cc vavle releifs, childs and alberts rings and some oliver rods. use arp head and main studs and cometic gaskets. Good for about 750rwhp at about 15-16 psi boost.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

I'd wait on spending money upgrading the engine until you have the turbo system ready to go...no since of spending money on things twice.

What I'd do now is get a clutch that will be able to handle the projected power and go ahead and drop the ls1 in the car. You may run into other problems that you weren't aware of with the swap that may cost you money you weren't expecting. It would probably be easier to sort through problems if the engine is stock.

BTW, nice idea. I'm planning to start building a pro tour 1st gen (probably a 68) in about a year. I think i'm going to go 383 lt1 in it though.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the reply's guys...at this point I think I am going to take advice from all of you...right now all I'm going to do is the LS6 or maybe 6.0L intake with a good turbo cam... As for the headers I am buying a set of custom tubo headers for a 1st Gen Camaro and I am going to run those with a block off plate until I go twin turbo...Thanks for the advice, and thank esp for the cam specs!!

Ralph
Old 03-12-2003, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,231 Likes on 786 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'd run some ported 6.0 liter heads since they are 70-71 cc chambers stock and they will drop your compression from 10.1:1 to 9.5:1.

That cam sounds interesting but, I'd look into 115 LSA to increase top end and I'd also consider running a bit less cam that one might peak a bit high... I like the idea of increasing top end and decreasing mid range. I know what it's like to have more mid range torque than I can hook even with slicks (on the street). I heard of A Comp 224/218//115 grind that sounds promising too.

My new FMS/ Cam Motion blower cam will be more duration than the cam mentioned earlier but we are going to shift the motor at 7200 rpms.