Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Suburban w/ blown head gasket...maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 Suburban w/ blown head gasket...maybe?

Hey all, been awhile since I posted. I'll be quick, I have a 2001 Suburban 4x4 5.3L w/ 115k miles. For some time now I have had puffs of white smoke come out of the exhaust on cold startup, it goes away after its warm of course (few seconds). It's an intermittent issue because sometimes there is no smoke. One thing that is always consistent is the sweet smell coming from the exhaust. These are all signs of a blown head gasket, likely between two cylinders. The weird thing is my coolant levels have been fine for years, I bought the truck in 2007 with 75k miles and have never had to add any coolant and the level has never changed, wouldn't this indicate no coolant is being burned? But where is the sweet smell coming from?

Facts
* Burns 1.5 qts of oil per 1000 miles (I think this is a lot)
* Intermittent puffs of white smoke and small of white smoke on cold start up
* Sweet exhaust smell
* No milky colored oil
* Coolant levels have not changed in years, I've never added coolant.
* Sometimes have a slightly hard starting issue (ignition not cranking), fuel pump was already replaced last year for failure, pressures look fine. Plugs and wires were also replaced.

What are your thoughts?

-Nick
Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.5 quarts is a lot I'd try pressure testing it and see whay happens just don't get crazy n make a leak lol umm is there ne milky stuff on the inside of the valve cover? Is it burning oil or leaking maybe the smke is from the oil...

Quick Reply: 2001 Suburban w/ blown head gasket...maybe?