Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone running a cam WITHOUT a converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
oh i already have tuning on the list... i am one of those nit picky people that lets little things bother them, such as whenever we removed my AIR stuff, that code is driving me absolutly nuts... so i will be getting tuning after the cam and also for those codes to be deleted...

santino04: did you car tune easily?? what is the lsa on your car?
As far as what Larry from SpeedInc told me they had no problems at all, and from what I feel from the car it runs excellent and is a hell of a lot different then from before, tuning makes all the difference! Im running the 114 lsa, sounds very nice has a very nice cammy sound you know its there! Im glad I chose the 114 I dont think Id go any lower, its just right there where people kinda ask like You gotta a cam right? Other than that it runs beautiful idles right at about 800 rpms all the time when warm, on a cold start its about 1000 then drops down to 800 in a few. Anymore questions be gald to try to answer. Thanks
Old 04-29-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by santino04
As far as what Larry from SpeedInc told me they had no problems at all, and from what I feel from the car it runs excellent and is a hell of a lot different then from before, tuning makes all the difference! Im running the 114 lsa, sounds very nice has a very nice cammy sound you know its there! Im glad I chose the 114 I dont think Id go any lower, its just right there where people kinda ask like You gotta a cam right? Other than that it runs beautiful idles right at about 800 rpms all the time when warm, on a cold start its about 1000 then drops down to 800 in a few. Anymore questions be gald to try to answer. Thanks
have you ever had any problems with your car dying and so forth before or after the tuning? my b/f did but he has a TR230 with a 111lsa...
Old 04-30-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

well my b/f did some looking around last night and we saw a Midwest 3000.... so i might get one.... but i really prefer NOT to right now... but we probably will get that one because it is for a good price
Old 04-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Launching!

have you ever had any problems with your car dying and so forth before or after the tuning? my b/f did but he has a TR230 with a 111lsa...
Nope no problems at all! **** the day I picked it up I took the long way home and put 50 miles on it no problems at all driving all different speeds and stop and go. It runs great, but if your saying you can get a convertor for cheap do it, Im the same as you didnt feel like dumpin 800 bucks so I did all engine work. Thanks
Old 05-01-2004, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

With the money you could spend of the cam and tuning, just get a good converter and you will be set. I ran the pig cam with a stock converter. It was not that bad, but i would of done a stall first. Plus you can get tuned all at once when you have your cam and converter. I would at least get a 3500 stall too.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrp
a new stall should be the first mod for an a4 regardless of any future mods. it amazes me how many people seem to be scared or opposed to them.

im an m6 but rode in a stalled a4 , was my reaction.
Ditto on that JRP. A 3800+ converter turns the LS1 into a demon.Even if not really drag racing the car, the every day bang for the buck ratio favours the
converter (to that "baby" cam) and an exhaust cut-out will make it scream.
I do however love the sound of a nice cam.

SS Girl, try to squeeze in both mods at the same time...you'll love it

Tony
Old 05-01-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigoneZ28
Ditto on that JRP. A 3800+ converter turns the LS1 into a demon.Even if not really drag racing the car, the every day bang for the buck ratio favours the
converter (to that "baby" cam) and an exhaust cut-out will make it scream.
I do however love the sound of a nice cam.

SS Girl, try to squeeze in both mods at the same time...you'll love it

Tony
i am.... i am going to get a Midwest 3000....
Old 05-01-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

Hey SS Girl.
didn't you post on the other forum that you had a problem with a Yank Converter??
Could this perhaps be the reason that you are changing your mind from a converter to a cam??
Get the converter.. then do the cam.
I currently have the CC XER220@114 going in this summer.
Perfect for my set up.
Good luck with yours.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

i am.... i am going to get a Midwest 3000....
SSGirl,

I thought you hated stupid poeple!
A midwest 3000 for that cam is crap. Why don't you listen to "experienced poeple".
When you decide to get a stall, get "NOTHING" and I mean "NOTHING" lower than a 3500 true stall. (IMO you can't beat TCI 3500, 2.5 str for the price)
And don't forget to get a tranny cooler as well.
Do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
SSGirl,

I thought you hated stupid poeple!
A midwest 3000 for that cam is crap. Why don't you listen to "experienced poeple".
When you decide to get a stall, get "NOTHING" and I mean "NOTHING" lower than a 3500 true stall. (IMO you can't beat TCI 3500, 2.5 str for the price)
And don't forget to get a tranny cooler as well.
Do it right or don't do it at all.
From the sound of it, she really isn't looking to have a race car. She is just looking for something that adds some lope to her car. You are thinking what is the best application for racing but the only reason she is going with the converter is to help out the drivability loss from the cam (not to get the best ET). If she is as picky as she says she is, she may not be able to stand driving a car with a large converter and a big cam on the street.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zangel
From the sound of it, she really isn't looking to have a race car. She is just looking for something that adds some lope to her car. You are thinking what is the best application for racing but the only reason she is going with the converter is to help out the drivability loss from the cam (not to get the best ET). If she is as picky as she says she is, she may not be able to stand driving a car with a large converter and a big cam on the street.
I'm sorry did i miss something? Is lope like a dressing apparel? If you just want lope for sound, get a loudmouth exhaust and reduce your idle some and voila. Cheaper is get a cutout and run it open all the time.
And who told you that a TCI 3500 is only for racing? IMO it is a good street/strip converter. The only reason I have it is because I still have the stock cam. Soon I'm stepping up to a SS 4000, and that is only with a 216/220 XE-R. And BTW TCI 3500 is more efficient than the Midway 3000.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

THANK YOU.....

and Predator... i DO hate stupid people
Old 05-02-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
If you just want lope for sound, get a loudmouth exhaust and reduce your idle some and voila.
because ONE day, the car will be raced....
Old 05-02-2004, 01:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have to agree with predator on this one the 3500 stall is very tame...ive run it now for 6 months with my 2.73's and love it though hits not big enough for the cam im running..you have to understand that for the most part larger cams make you loose low end which means youll have less pop up to usually 3-4krpms...personally id just go with atleast a 3800+ stall and be done with it...that cam will give you the lope you want and that converter would get you near your powerband and actually make it able to back the sound at the track if ever need be. BTW the 3500 is no track demon it really is a mild converter especially with an aftermarket cam.

lata
Bill
Old 05-02-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foff667
BTW the 3500 is no track demon it really is a mild converter especially with an aftermarket cam.
very true... my b/f went from a Yank3500 to a PT4400 and it made a HUGE difference...
Old 05-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Fiery Features Director

From the way she was talking before, I assumed she wanted to keep the car "feeling" stock and maintain good gas mileage. What's the point in having a large converter if that is the case? Does she care about the harder braking or stalling at firm stops? Does she want the car to feel/act stock or does she want more performance? I assumed that she did not want the car to feel much different so I would say go with something suttle (especially if she is getting a good price on it). If she does plan on racing the car down the road, then I would change my previous suggestion and say do it right the first time. It all depends on what she wants to do with the car. Although, if she wants the car to feel stock, that cam is a bit large. However, in this case... it really doesn't matter which converter you go with... you will still need tuning to get it to run right.

BTW - I have a Vigi3200 and a 224/224 .581 112 cam. The car definately doesn't feel like stock but I don't have many drivability problems with it. My gas mileage is around 15mpg. The car doesn't stall that often unless you brake really hard. You will learn what you can and can't do. You will learn the art of using 2 feet and it won't become a problem anymore.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW - I have a Vigi3200 and a 224/224 .581 112 cam. The car definately doesn't feel like stock but I don't have many drivability problems with it. My gas mileage is around 15mpg. The car doesn't stall that often unless you brake really hard. You will learn what you can and can't do. You will learn the art of using 2 feet and it won't become a problem anymore.
is that with the stock tune? Cuz with my tune i have none of those problems and drive with just my right foot
Old 05-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Fiery Features Director

No, that is not with the stock tune but I didn't want to jack the idle up too high so I learned to deal with it. I also didn't want to drill a hole in the throttle body.