Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang guy, making the jump to ls1 platform. I have few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Mustang guy, making the jump to ls1 platform. I have few questions.

I recently sold my 02 mustang GT. (supercharged intercooler blah blah blah)

Anyway, I'm looking for a new project. Came across this 98 z28 6 speed. It has a good price on it, but a few things worry me.

1. 178K on body, but owner claims he swapped the motor out with an ls1 out of 97 vette (40K) Any major difference between what it came stock with and the vette ls1?

2. He said it is gforce chipped. Everything I've read about this chip has nothing but terrible things to say about it. Am I going to inherit a ton of problems buying a car with this in it?

3. It has tranny problems. 2nd gear is shot, needs a shift module and syncros. Would i better off just replacing it or is this something that could be fixed.

any and all help would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could easily rebuild the T56.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:49 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

1) Not really.

2) These ECU's are not "chipped". They may have meant it was tuned by GForce, which is a Houston area shop, or they were lying.

3) Rebuild. A good reputable shop can build it to suit your future goals and even have a warranty. A replacement trans will likely have to come from a junkyard and the warranty they offer will probably expire before you can get it in the car.

Quick Reply: Mustang guy, making the jump to ls1 platform. I have few questions.