Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#7 cylinder full of water now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #7 cylinder full of water now what?

So I been having trouble turning over my engine. New battery starter n still just a grinding sound coming from the starter. So I began pulling plugs today. Low n behold number 7 had water in it. Drained the oil n water out of the pan. Going to order new arp bolts n new gm ls1 head gaskets n pull both head's n replace the gaskets n head bolts. Is there anything else I should do? I plan on putting a level on the block n heads to check for flatness. Any insight is appreciated. This happened after the low coolant light came on and the engine temp got up to 230 for maybe a min then went back to 195 n stayed there.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can prep the block and/or heads by ight sanding with an autobody longboard, wet dry sandpaper, and wd40...search for Tony Mamos method, I think he posted it on corvette forum. If you dye the surface with prussian blue or maybe dykem you should be able to see the low spots after a couple of passes.. Copper spraying the gaskets can also help, I always make sure I cure well in the oven or hanging in a clean environment at room temp for several days before install. Watch for fibers etc, the stuff is sticky.

GL, a lot of folks break rods and or put a hole in the block when they hydrolock.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gm mls gaskets are very forgiving as far as deck flatness...just make sure you remove all head gasket material especially if they are the nasty graphite time...and triple/quadruple check you bolt holes to make sure no coolant is in the bottom of them, also can make a tap out of one of your old heads bolts by grinding flutes in the sides of them...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't buy any parts until I pulled the heads and checked everything for a crack. You just might end up with parts you don't need.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I've heard of people bending rods like this too
Old 08-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Launching!

10-4 on pulling the head first. I got the intake off n valve cover. Lots of sludge inside the valve cover but head looked ok.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sludge is not a good sign.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Launching!

My dsd said the sludge is antifreeze that steamed off. The sludge is only on the valve cover not on the head anywhere.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If its a Silverado with a 5.3 you could have bad castech heads there is a tsb on it. If you see sludge I wouldn't waste my time on head gaskets just pull it and fix it right. Better safe than sorry you may be able to clean everything up and do a light re-ring overhaul with all new seals and bearings.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Was a bad head gaskets everything looks fine. Gonna flush the pan. Clean lifters rockers n pushrods. New mls gaskets n arp head bolts.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What's always helped me ensure the block holes are clea and dry: compressed air out of the squeezable nozzle thing. I have a roll of aquarium tubing that I use. I cut about an 8" length and tape it to the nozzle. Then run it all the way to the bottom of the hole and blow them clean.

Also spray a lot of carb cleaner in them while you're chasing the threads. It's amazing how much "gunk" is in them. The carb cleaner helps break it up and get them spic and span.

Quick Reply: #7 cylinder full of water now what?