Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Ticking/Tapping Noise from left side of engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Ticking/Tapping Noise from left side of engine bay

So, to start off, I have a 1998 Formula with 312k on it right now.

The other night i was driving it about 10-15 miles away to a little car get together. Well after pulling off from a redlight after half of the way there, there is this LOUD ticking/tapping noise. Now the car had an exhaust leak before hand, so i know what that noise sounds like.

I'm just looking for possible suggestions/views on what it could be. We are tearing the car down in the morning, so i havent gotten to look inside yet. But i was wondering what else besides: dropped lifter, loose/broken rocker arm, or maybe a bent rod(somehow) to look for?

I did read on another LS-based forum that the oil pump seal can go bad, causing aeration to get into #7, causing the lifter to act funky. Any one else had this problem or know of its validity?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really could be so many things with that high of mileage...just look over everything good and plan on getting a full gasket kit (around $250-300) for everything.
Good luck and let us know what you find!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the oil pump o ring issue. Did the tap ever stop? Usually idleing for a few minutes would make it stop if it was the oring. At 300k miles it wouldent hurt to change it but if your tap doesn't go away is check the rockers first and go from their.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got the rockers and rods off thus far. rockers look good, and the valve ends don't have any weird wear on them. heads coming off next.

Quick Reply: Loud Ticking/Tapping Noise from left side of engine bay