Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cammed 02 camaro with 73k lost #7 piston

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cammed 02 camaro with 73k lost #7 piston

02 camaro with 73k miles Broke while tuning, Before tuning the car had 11.5 AFR at idle and 12.0ish at Cruise on a base tune from previous owner.

Car never saw WOT before tuning and never went leaner than 12.3 at WOT with 25* timing

Smoke started coming out of the oil cap during the middle of the week and got worse the weekend when being tuned and lost #7 (basing this off the the oiled down plug we pulled from it. the rest were fine)

Could driving the car rich as hell like that for a week hurt a motor? Or were 02's bad with piston rings like I see some threads on here say.

Motor has badass parts like 231/239, comp trunion upgrade, Melling high vol pump, ls2 chain etc. Shame that it had to mess up. anyone have a 5.3-60 long block for sale in the Houston Area?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the car being that pig rich, based on a 'base tune from previous owner', you have no idea how butchered the rest of the tune/motor is/was.

Anyone who 'tunes' a car and ends up with it being that rich has no idea what they're doing.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people don't know these cars are really bad about clogging the fuel rail and injector on #7 because it is a return less fuel system.

I bet if you pull the injector rail a bunch of trash come out on that end

Take #7 injector and turn it upside down and tap it on a paper towel to see what comes out, I bet the screen is partially clogged.

Couple that with #7's issue with cooling(it's the hottest cylinder) proves to make problems.

Have seen this more than a few times.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
A lot of people don't know these cars are really bad about clogging the fuel rail and injector on #7 because it is a return less fuel system.

I bet if you pull the injector rail a bunch of trash come out on that end

Take #7 injector and turn it upside down and tap it on a paper towel to see what comes out, I bet the screen is partially clogged.

Couple that with #7's issue with cooling(it's the hottest cylinder) proves to make problems.

Have seen this more than a few times.
^ truth
Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so fatboy, with that being said. the car did sit since 07. would you suspect trash being in the fuel rail?

the mods were done all at once and the week before the car was sold

Quick Reply: cammed 02 camaro with 73k lost #7 piston