Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild on motor with Excessive blowby

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuild on motor with Excessive blowby

So I rebuilt my motor about 2 years ago, 12,000 miles ago. It was rich when I first got it going, which I didnt know. It also ended up with a clogged injectors on the dyno,it was pig rich. I have a breather on the oil filler cap, at time while idle or driving, you can see smoke come out, it actually has come inside the car. The oil turns black after a couple hundred miles, blue smoke out the exhaust upon hard acceleration. It has gotten alot worse lately.

The motor was bored, new pistons, bearings. It has a AI cam and ported 853 heads by AI.

I know at a minumum it will need to be honed and rerings, mine as well put new bearings in it also. Now last time I did my motor, I didnt think it would be as expensive as a block already done and put together, but in the end, it would have been cheaper to buy one already done.

I am looking for suggestions either redo the one I have or buy one already done. What is the typical cost to tear down, hone and rering. I called the guy that did my work last time and he said it wont be less than a $1000.

Does anybody recommend a lq4 or lq9?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you doing the engine building yourself? I'm guessing your having someone do it for you...

I know for me I'm getting hit for $400 for honing, and $1250 for engine assembly, labor only. Then add all gaskets, pistons, rings, rods, bearings, seals, etc etc etc etc...

If he is only charging ~$1k for honing and assembly that is an awesome deal compared to NJ!

For my situation it's a toss up. I want my aluminum block, and to go for a prebuilt block (upgrading to 383) shipped is $1000 more shipped, and more than I'm willing to spend on an already extremely expensive rebuild.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have the machine shop do the work. I paid right around $2000 for my lower end to be totally rebuilt, all new bearings, crank ground, all new bearings, pistons, bored. It also took like 10 weeks to get it back from him, which I dont want to do that again, way to long, had to call the guy each week to see what the deal was.

I hear ya on the expensive part, my car in NA, can imagine turbo or supercharging price.

I was also thinking of buying a new shortblock setup for spray, Ive always wanted to try it.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Machine work will eat a budget in a hurry. I would avoid having a machine shop build an engine unless you want a one off with special parts. Labor rates are ridiculous and only going up. In the end, it does come to what you want. You can pick up complete LQ engine all day long for $1000-$3000. You can look around for projects that never happened. I picked up my LS1 brand new complete for $2500. I also saw an LS2 here recently, Brand new for $2800 or so. Used strokers are always listed in the FS section.

Who did the work on your current engine? Already smoking at 12,000 indicates something wasn't done right.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

A local machine shop did the work, they have been in business for a long time. The issue was caused by the motor running real rich upon the first 1000 break in. After that, I went to get it tuned and the clogged injector caused it to over compensate, the tuner had to wear a mask it was so rich. He tuned around it, not knowing the issue, i drove it home and started diagnosing, found the clogged injector and went back for a touch up tune.

So I called another machine shop, about $850 to hone and rering, put shortblock back together. If it needs pistons and a bore, around $1250. Both include new bearings. He also said at most 3 weeks.

Last edited by SWEET98SS; 10-01-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Rebuild on motor with Excessive blowby