Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP. Oil burning/lean etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same situation as yours. I have about 15,000 miles on mine now. Been burning a ton of oil, about 1 quart every 500. It smells like oil all the time.

Blew out a oil pan gasket, tons of blowby out the oil cap. Now I have taken it to the track, ran about 20 runs, did some dyno runs and now it blows a ton of blue smoke out back. Time for a rebuild. My car ran rich upon first runs.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

I tested it out today and Im getting smoke only at WOT. Gunna try to put #4 at TDC and see if they hold the oil and start it in mourning. I didnt get it tuned because I didnt change anything on the engine except forged internals. I do have -3.2cc pistons but i had the head decked to compensate. It seems to run fine now(with oil in it). Still shoud probly get it tuned though
Old 10-23-2013, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by NATHANIALPOPE
I tested it out today and Im getting smoke only at WOT. Gunna try to put #4 at TDC and see if they hold the oil and start it in mourning. I didnt get it tuned because I didnt change anything on the engine except forged internals. I do have -3.2cc pistons but i had the head decked to compensate. It seems to run fine now(with oil in it). Still shoud probly get it tuned though

Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

By having both valves closed they should "hold" any oil that drips through. Right? I might not start it but just take off manifold and loosen header and see if theres oil.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 AM
Launching!

The reason I was asking about compression test was if the compression is normal then the seals are most likely leaking. If compression is normal across all cyls Id say your pretty safe going ahead and changing those valve seals. And yes, I "kerfubbled" on the leak down test. It will only check seating of valves

Quick Reply: NEED HELP. Oil burning/lean etc