Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 5.3 questions

Hi everyone, just another one of those "how do I want my 5.3 built" threads. At this point im just trying to get my budget straight, but in order to be able to budget, I obviously need to know what to get. Some background: I'm sick of my Mustang GT Vert and ready to make the switch back to GM. I miss having real power... and brakes . Anyways, once I sell that I am really interested in an S10 V8/ T56 swap. I already have a complete 5.3, intake to (cracked) oil pan. It has been sitting for a couple of years before I bought it and I would like to freshen it up. Question is, should I forge it up down below or rebuild it to stock specs? I don't want to go FI or NOS yet, but the extra insurance might be worth it unless otherwise stated. Im pretty sure that the least on the bottom end I will do the ARP rod bolt upgrade, which would be good the ARP 2000's? It will rarely see track use but I want to surprise some people on the street and hopefully be reliable( 5.3+T56= indestructible obviously) get me all the way through college yet still be a fun driver. I don't quite know what I want in the realm of hp, but I'm thinking at least 400 FLYWHEEL hp. Any set of heads that would improve horsepower that wont cost me a years tuition? I have the 816 series heads I believe, how do these heads flow? Probably need a C&C. I also plan on installing long tubes and refreshing the valve-train as mileage is unknown. Im thinking going for the Texas Speed TR 220R cam. My problem is I am unsure of which LSA cam to choose. I would like to drop in new lifters too to go with the new cam plus the heads will be off. So which lifters should I get? The LS7s? And does Texas Speed make good pushrods? I would also like to go for double beehive springs too, or anything you guys have to recommend. I'm going for long tubes (Gotta be first because the exhaust is only getting done ONCE). I was thinking about a BBK intake, but don't know of they will fit the truck heads like the real LS based engines or if its even worth the power increase. Also, I have emissions so could I just do a mil delete for the egr and cat monitors?

Thanks guys
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For 400 flywheel all you need is a good cam, and a stock 5.3 engine..

These upgrades are always good...

Ls6 intake $300 , ls7 lifters $140 would be a decent upgrade, a dual spring like a BTR .660 with/ tool steel retainers is $220

I would talk to Martin @ tick performance for a cam suggestion..
Old 10-26-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd go with the BBK SSI intake or LS6 intake which ever one you prefer, if your going to buy it new then the BBK will cost less.
For lifters I'd go with the BTR SLR lifters over the LS6. For valve springs the BTR dual springs are a good choice. Get the heads ported and milled, that way you can go with a smaller/less aggressive /stealthier cam and still meet your goals if you so desire.
I'd consider the EPS TT2 cam over the 220r.
http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?a...od&productId=5
Old 10-26-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

martin at tick has a good cam for a 5.3 to make 400 hp.if you find some 243/799 heads for $400 they will add 15 hp.leave the stock rod bolts in ,or consider some kaltech rod bolts,they seem to have the least problems .read some threads on rod bolt swaps on cracked cap ls rods.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Launching!

So you dont think the rod bolts are an issue? I know ive read somewhere that they're prone to failure, whether it was a FI or Nitrous application i have no idea. I know i will not be making mega hp, but I would only like to build this engine once and need it reliable. Whats wrong with the ARP rod and mains?

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year is the 5.3? Later models have beefier rods and rod bolts. Like the others stated save your money and the rebuild and buy cam, intake, other supporting mods. I am currently running a 200k mile 5.3 and when I disassembled the cylinder walls still had factory cross hatch, these engines can handle a lot of miles granted they were taken care of, you will have to inspect it. I would at least pull the heads for new gaskets since it makes a cam install easier anyway. Good luck man, a v8 6 speed s10 will be pretty damn fun!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I built a 5.3 to right under 400 flywheel hp. It has a ls6 cam, which is very mild. I milled the stock heads .03 and added an ls6 intake. I used ls7 lifters, ls2 timing set, a new oil pump, stronger pushrods at the correct length, ls6 valve springs (springs to match your cam). Check out pace performance and get all new gaskets and seals why your at it. Also lap the valves and install new seals. I got my seals from briantooleyracing. A good set of longtubes with flowing exhaust and you'll be set. I used a good converter in my auto but you mentioned the 6 speed.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
What year is the 5.3? Later models have beefier rods and rod bolts. Like the others stated save your money and the rebuild and buy cam, intake, other supporting mods. I am currently running a 200k mile 5.3 and when I disassembled the cylinder walls still had factory cross hatch, these engines can handle a lot of miles granted they were taken care of, you will have to inspect it. I would at least pull the heads for new gaskets since it makes a cam install easier anyway. Good luck man, a v8 6 speed s10 will be pretty damn fun!
Mine supposedly came out of a 2001 Suburban, mileage unknown, and it has been sitting for two and a half years, two of which were before I bought it. The owner before me purchased it to put into his 72 Chevy pickup, but decided to go back old school. Now under the valve covers was very nice and clean, on both sides. There was a little carbon in the cylinders but nothing significantly caked, but I have only checked one side so far. To be honest I don't even know if it runs, and the way everything was/is cut it clearly hasn't been touched since it was removed at the junkyard. But I highly doubt there's anything wrong with it. I mean, come on, its a 5.3!! I would like to rebuild It just so I know it wont fail due to someone else's stretched out oil changes or neglect. Even if its just to factory specs. I will definitely be getting a cam upon rebuilding though cause it doesn't make sense to go back in, especially when the engine is out. Plus long tubes hopefully, but it all depends on what I can get for my current car and what an S10 is gonna cost.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Y87bird00...PM sent.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you can, get a hold of some 4.8 flat top pistons if you are planning on going stock. Almost all 5.3 pistons are dished. You could pick up some nice compression.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Launching!

So the 4.8 and the 5.3 have the same bore? COOL!!!! DO you think it would mess with my ability to pass emissions? Im thinking to try and tune the CAT monitors out, is that possible?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

4.8 and 5.3 share the same bore and piston compression height so they are interchangable. Don't know what you are refering to with the term "CAT monitor" but a person with HP Tuners can shut off the O2 sensors after the catalytic converter as well as the emissions sensors that aren't critical to engine management. Not sure how your emissions program in your state runs. Do some research before tuning out sensors.

Quick Reply: 5.3 questions