Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running 11s with 224 224?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running 11s with 224 224?

Just wanted to know if anyone is running in the 11s with the 224 cam only? If so what are your times and mods? Thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Old 05-06-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 11s with a 216/220 cam.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

11s with a cam aren't that hard. I ran 11s with the STOCK cam in two different cars. Many others have too.

In the second car I had all the basic bolt-ons, a good converter (TCI 3500), and a set of Nittos. Stock gears, basically stock weight, heavier than stock wheels.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ITSOVR4U ran 11.50's w/ a 224/224 and TEA stage 2 heads in a C5 with longtubes.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

I ran 12.04 with an ls1 intake, and no other boltons but exhaust and a lid. I also launched at 4800 on et streets on stock salad shooters with 4.10 gears. It was in 95 degree heat.. I'm going to the track again saturday.. removing front swaybar and gonna try again in 60-70 degree weather. I'll let you know how it goes

Peace,
Josh
Old 05-06-2004, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by PunkNPonys
Just wanted to know if anyone is running in the 11s with the 224 cam only? If so what are your times and mods? Thanks
Cam only with stock heads and mods in the sig.
Best was 11.5x @ 117.xx.

Average was 11.8x @ 115.xx

Race weight was 3530

John
Old 05-06-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i know a lot of guys run 11s with bolt-ons but i aslo see alot of guys in the 12s with a cam. So it kinda gets confusing why that is but i know it has a lot more to do with it such as the DA and track prep. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

National "best ET's" are not realistic outcomes for YOUR car mods.

Look at weight, DA, and MPH through the lights for a better yardstick.

Only a small fraction of Fbody owners ever get into the 11's without internal engine work, and less than 1/2 get there WITH internal work. Go to your local track on a regular basis, and make friends with your fellow Fbody racers. You'll get a better education as to what works than you get on the interweberthingy.

What will you find out? Tires + Convertor > HP

Also understand that if 11's are your goal, the majority of tracks are going to make you put in a rollbar. So many guys get into the 11's and give up when they start getting the boot from the track.

Regardless of what you read on the boards, 11's are serious ET's that will smoke 99% of the cars that show up without a trailer. A mid-12 won't require internal work, won't hurt street manners, and won't require a rollbar. And it will still smoke 95% of the cars driven to the track.

Look hard at your goals. Once they are fixed in your sights, do it to it.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McRat
National "best ET's" are not realistic outcomes for YOUR car mods.

Look at weight, DA, and MPH through the lights for a better yardstick.

Only a small fraction of Fbody owners ever get into the 11's without internal engine work, and less than 1/2 get there WITH internal work. Go to your local track on a regular basis, and make friends with your fellow Fbody racers. You'll get a better education as to what works than you get on the interweberthingy.

What will you find out? Tires + Convertor > HP

Also understand that if 11's are your goal, the majority of tracks are going to make you put in a rollbar. So many guys get into the 11's and give up when they start getting the boot from the track.

Regardless of what you read on the boards, 11's are serious ET's that will smoke 99% of the cars that show up without a trailer. A mid-12 won't require internal work, won't hurt street manners, and won't require a rollbar. And it will still smoke 95% of the cars driven to the track.

Look hard at your goals. Once they are fixed in your sights, do it to it.
Yeah at first my goal was to go 11s with bolt ons but i know i can already accomplish that with some more bolt ons and maybe a gear. So i knew after i accomplished that i wanted to put a cam in my car, i am getting impatient and want a cam already. I have no problem putting a cage in my car. I just cant decide what cam i want. I hear a lot of positive things about the 224 cam but i think i want something a little bigger.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:47 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Probably a common observation, but most of the guys running kick *** times with not a lot of mods are launching very hard and making it stick..that is where it's at. I would be surprised to see someone without a cam, cutting 2.0 60s on a street tire who is also running 11s. If you are please chime in, because you will give me hope!
Old 05-06-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

"Go to your local track on a regular basis, and make friends with your fellow Fbody racers. You'll get a better education as to what works than you get on the interweberthingy."

I respectfully disagree.

Well, I guess it depends on what track you go to and who it is you're talking to. I know when I was running mid 11s with bolt-ons week after week back in '99-00, the folks at my track thought for sure I was spraying...until they saw me doing it as many as 18 times back to back without so much as getting out of the car and figured out that I couldn't possibly hide a 50 lb bottle! If I'd gotten my info from those guys I'd still be running 12s. J/k

On the internetwebthingy you get the benefit of the experiences and knowledge of people from all over the world who have actually been there and done that. Most LS1 people at most tracks simply have not. So why follow them?

11s are CHILD'S PLAY with a good cam in an LS1 once you set the rest of the car up wisely...UNLESS you've been listening to only those who are running 12s in which case you're probably not setting it up wisely. In this case you're likely running a Notcam, a 2600 stall, shorty headers, a Flowcrapper muffler, with no tuning whatsover and no Autotap keeping tabs of things in the right seat......wondering how in the heck you'll ever break 110 MPH!

Find someone who's running the kind of times that you WANT to be running. Learn from their setup. Makes educated changes as necessary.

Last edited by Colonel; 05-06-2004 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

COLONEL is right. most people(not all)i have talked to at the track or streets lie. they always seem to hold back like someone will get one over on them. hell...i just found out a guy i've known for two years was holding back on me. i could care less if everyone knows my car's set up,i like to help others. thats why i like this board,99% of the people don't know eachother and will never race,i think that brings out the honisty,they only seem to want to help. thanks to all that has helped me.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Colonel
"Go to your local track on a regular basis, and make friends with your fellow Fbody racers. You'll get a better education as to what works than you get on the interweberthingy."

I respectfully disagree.

Well, I guess it depends on what track you go to and who it is you're talking to. I know when I was running mid 11s with bolt-ons week after week back in '99-00, the folks at my track thought for sure I was spraying...until they saw me doing it as many as 18 times back to back without so much as getting out of the car and figured out that I couldn't possibly hide a 50 lb bottle! If I'd gotten my info from those guys I'd still be running 12s. J/k

On the internetwebthingy you get the benefit of the experiences and knowledge of people from all over the world who have actually been there and done that. Most LS1 people at most tracks simply have not. So why follow them?

11s are CHILD'S PLAY with a good cam in an LS1 once you set the rest of the car up wisely...UNLESS you've been listening to only those who are running 12s in which case you're probably not setting it up wisely. In this case you're likely running a Notcam, a 2600 stall, shorty headers, a Flowcrapper muffler, with no tuning whatsover and no Autotap keeping tabs of things in the right seat......wondering how in the heck you'll ever break 110 MPH!

Find someone who's running the kind of times that you WANT to be running. Learn from their setup. Makes educated changes as necessary.

I'm not sure you are actually disagreeing with me.

If he met you at your LOCAL track, he should check out your setup and get tips from you. You are one of the fast guys with a lot of seat time and experience.

Too many people see national best ET's and can't for the life of them figure out why they have more hp, more tire, more stall, and still can't match the numbers.

You read stories about how a guy with a "nearly stock" car beats your best ET's by a wide margin. The part of the story that is missing is usually how much fine tuning it took to get there.

This thread is a prime example. He asked what it took to get a 224 car into the 11's with an A4, and people post they can do it with smaller cams, or "stock" cars. What they didn't post was what it took to get there.

I run a LOT quicker than the other vettes in my area with internally stock motors. 1/2 second or more. At the track, I will tell anyone EXACTLY what it took to get there. On the internet? Usually not, except by PM. I don't want to get slammed for my mistakes, nor ridiculed on my choices of setup - "Joe ****** ran a 10.00 by just changing tire pressure!!" But everything I do learn is posted on the internet somewhere. I just refuse to get into a pissing contest with guys running lower ET's at different tracks.

In real life, I don't have to beat anyone in New York. I just have to win at my local track.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

"or "stock" cars"

Who said they ran 11s with a stock car?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trap speed would be the better question. Not all cars are set up for the strip. When I'm at the track, I usually look at a cars trap speed on the board before the ET.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike c.
COLONEL is right. most people(not all)i have talked to at the track or streets lie. they always seem to hold back like someone will get one over on them. hell...i just found out a guy i've known for two years was holding back on me. i could care less if everyone knows my car's set up,i like to help others. thats why i like this board,99% of the people don't know eachother and will never race,i think that brings out the honisty,they only seem to want to help. thanks to all that has helped me.
I guess Michigan racers suck. 90% of the guys at my tracks will lend me their last dollar or gallon of gas. And so do I.

My friends laugh at me when I post that I'm stock. They know how much hard work it was for us to run good. Little things add up.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

LS1 tech is invaluable as a source of knowledge and infos.
When all is designed and installed, the final test is the track!
Doing it over and over is the real knowledge.
IMO the experience should be drawn from all resources (Forums, hands on, other racers and of course "the race itself"_

Oh back on the thread, YES a 224/224 cam + bolt on car will definately do 11's and could "break 10's" on spray. Heck I do a 12.2 motor. 11.38 on spray completely stock internals and no headers.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:07 AM
jfm
10 Second Club

Colonel is right on the mark.I think a 224 cam only LS1 should run 11s all day long.My local track has NO prep so I had to run full Drag tires to hook.Granted my 11.6s came at 3350 pounds in good DA on a stock internal motor with all the bolt on's.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Stu
TECH Resident

11.7@116 cam only. 224/561 on a 114 LSA. Cecil county Md. DA was +580 if I remember right. 3.42 gears, 3800 stall, MACs, stock wheels and tires on a 98 Z28 with 255/50/16 BFG drag radials. LS1 Edit by me. Raceweight 3599.

Did it pretty consistently in varying DAs on varying nights. Always within a tenth or two.

Need anything else?

Stu