Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forged piston lastl longer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forged piston lastl longer?

I would like to know how would the forged pistons last longer. Like what max mileage?
Because forged pistons are softer. Mahle pistons are hard and it is last longer. It is hard for me to decide which one I should go.. My goal is around 600 hp with nitrous on my ls6 block. It is for my s10 pickup project. If you don't mind give me some feedback.

Also which do you prefer go that rods Thompson Motorsports H-beam or Callie H beam. IS that really nessceary? I only run max 600 hp If you think I just go Scat I. Unless if yall rather stick with H beam. Yeah I been ask about this several times. I just want to make sure. Thank for share with your experience.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
I would like to know how would the forged pistons last longer. Like what max mileage?
Because forged pistons are softer. Mahle pistons are hard and it is last longer. It is hard for me to decide which one I should go.. My goal is around 600 hp with nitrous on my ls6 block. It is for my s10 pickup project. If you don't mind give me some feedback.

Also which do you prefer go that rods Thompson Motorsports H-beam or Callie H beam. IS that really nessceary? I only run max 600 hp If you think I just go Scat I. Unless if yall rather stick with H beam. Yeah I been ask about this several times. I just want to make sure. Thank for share with your experience.

not sure where you are getting your info...
forged pistons are not softer than cast pistons....

last longer is kind of subjective....I honestly dont know anybody with a forged motor that is trying to get to 300,000 miles....they forge it to beat on it like a racecar....
and beating on it means its gonna break sooner than a stock motor that isnt beat on like a racecar.

and its often not the pistons that fail...lots more people spin bearings or drop a valve...not many people break a piston from its own failure.

as far as melting pistons.. well...I know a stock piston will melt a lot sooner than a forged one...that has been proven many many times..

I prefer the Callies rods myself... but its a Po-Tay-Toe/Po-taa-toe kind of things

and 600 hp is subjective as well...Flywheel or Rear wheel? how do you want to get there... Big Cubes NA, smaller cubes but with a Power adder(Turbo/supercharger/nitrous)
if rear wheel.....thru a stock rear? thru a 9"/12bolt/dana60? trans choice? 4l60/4l80/th400/glide/t56?

really need more info about your plans to give a better answer.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forged pistons will also handle a valve hit better than standard pistons. I got lucky with just a few valve marks with Mahle pistons compared to possible piston replacements.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

forged pistons are not softer than cast pistons
2618 forgings are softer than 4032 and hyper pistons, that's why they are stronger because they can absorb the extreme pressures better. 4032 and hyper pistons are harder and more brittle, so when faced with extreme pressures they tend to shatter.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
2618 forgings are softer than 4032 and hyper pistons, that's why they are stronger because they can absorb the extreme pressures better. 4032 and hyper pistons are harder and more brittle, so when faced with extreme pressures they tend to shatter.
I've heard it both ways, surprisingly. I always thought the 2618 were less brittle, but stronger.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

2618 is softer which allows it to take some more abuse, it also allows the rings to wear the lands a whole lot faster which is why you wont much find them recommended for street use. I only had one conversation with a builder about it, but the general thought was they could be shot by 20K miles.

For a street motor I would be looking at 4032
Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Yeah, that's what I've been told as well. In that regard, the Mahle Powerpack sets are the best bet. And they can still take a 150 shot of nitrous or mild boost. They are definitely better than the cast hyper pistons.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

As much as I would like to have you run our Thompson Motorsports H-beam rods you will have no problem at 600HP using a scat I beam rod. We do carry them as well and they are much cheaper. Let me know if I can help you with anything.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thompson
As much as I would like to have you run our Thompson Motorsports H-beam rods you will have no problem at 600HP using a scat I beam rod. We do carry them as well and they are much cheaper. Let me know if I can help you with anything.
I like this, I'm glad you guys joined the forum..
Old 11-16-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

600 at the crank? I'd look at a set of callies. I think the price difference between the scat I and callies H is only 1-200 more if I recall (do some searching). It's what I went with on my rebuild and should help make engine rebalancing easier. I can understand the cost shaving measure. I figured I get the better arp bolts and piece of mind I have something pretty stout for my use.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Callies is definitely a good product and I believe they offer some Made In America stuff which I always try to support. That said 600 really isn't that much power, especially when using nitrous. RPM and piston weight is what kills rods not HP.

Hell you keep the rpm down with forced induction and guys make a lot more than 600 on all stock internals.

Point being I wouldn't use a 600hp number as any sort of reason to justify Callies, just wanting something that says Callies name on it is as good a reason as that modest HP goal.

Quick Reply: forged piston lastl longer?