Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Mild Motor Build So Far

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Mild Motor Build So Far

Well as much as I haven't looked forward to it and they probably don't need replaced but might as well do it while its torn down. I had found multiple valve train problems with my 60,000 mile junkyard LS1 I bought to swap into my truck. For one here was a bent/broken pushrod. The timing set was worn completely out which I believe is the cause of the bent and broken pushrod. Had to pull the head because a lifter was gone. Pulled the cam to find most of the lobes are junk, luckily I rolled the rollers on the lifters to find none of them were damaged other than the one I'm replacing that had a bent pushrod. I did have piston to valve contact but from what I can tell the valve isn't bent. I'll pressure check it. I have bought so far Jegs Chromoly Push rods, GM Ls1 Hot Cam kit, replacing that lifter, replacing the cam bearings with durabond chp-23, was going to replace the main and rod bearings but pulled one of each and there wasn't any excessive wear for a 60,000 mile motor, replaced all gaskets including seals, new head gaskets, head bolts, cam will be installed with ultra slick assembly lube. Oil pump with probably be disassembled and checked for excessive wear. Can anyone let me know of anything else I may have left out?

Running the truck intake manifold with LS injectors. Motor is replacing a worn out 200k mile 4.8L.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 11-22-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of you probably wouldn't replace these cam bearings but while the motor has been torn down to a short block I might as well.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's about what my front bearing looks like too. I have my motor all but out of the car. Everything is off of it and the trans and flywheel are off too. I'll be doing a full rebuild I think. I haven't decided yet as the short block is still healthy.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Quick Reply: LS1 Mild Motor Build So Far