Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no aftermarket 4.8L stock stroke crankshafts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Displacement lets you use more head and cam(bigger/more duration).

The argument you are making suggests that we could take unported heads and a stock cam and just slap a 408 under it and make more power than a nice heads/cam setup on a stock shortblock.

Would you actually suggest that? are people stupid for doing heads and cam first then later addressing the shortblock and updating the cam as is so common?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Displacement lets you use more head and cam(bigger/more duration).

The argument you are making suggests that we could take unported heads and a stock cam and just slap a 408 under it and make more power than a nice heads/cam setup on a stock shortblock.

Would you actually suggest that? are people stupid for doing heads and cam first then later addressing the shortblock and updating the cam as is so common?
With more displacement, but the same compression, cam, and induction package, yes you will make more power, but peak power will roughly stay the same. It's the overall power that will jump up.

Even if you were to take a set of ported heads and an aftermarket cam that made 450whp on a 346ci LS1 and you swap the parts over to a 408ci or even a 500ci stroker, you will still make roughly the same peak of 450whp, maybe a little more due to less valve shrouding.

However, as you mentioned, the larger displacement will allow the use of a larger cam or better flowing induction package to be used within the usable RPM range that wouldn't be suitable for smaller displacements. I think it's wise to plan ahead and consider what displacement and induction package is needed to achieve your goals, but I wouldn't call anyone stupid for doing it any other way.

I call people stupid when they say stupid things.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My point is you take a stock engine with supporting boltons and spend $3500 on topend OR $3500 on a higher displacement shortblock which will be faster?

Displacement helps when the SYSTEM is there to support it. You aren't really disagreeing with what I am saying you just want to.

On a given engine platform the topend end is where you will see the biggest gains, then displacement is used to expand your topend options.

Displacement is GREAT so long as you can afford to do the whole package well and aren't halfassing the topend to accomplish displacement and a LOT of folks get too caught up in displacement first and halfass the rest. It all has to work together.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:31 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

My point is you take a stock engine with supporting boltons and spend $3500 on topend OR $3500 on a higher displacement shortblock which will be faster?

Displacement helps when the SYSTEM is there to support it. You aren't really disagreeing with what I am saying you just want to.

On a given engine platform the topend end is where you will see the biggest gains, then displacement is used to expand your topend options.

Displacement is GREAT so long as you can afford to do the whole package well and aren't halfassing the topend to accomplish displacement and a LOT of folks get too caught up in displacement first and halfass the rest. It all has to work together.
I'm not the one that wants to argue. We were talking about why shops might not recommend 4" stroker cranks and you had to say this...

...you know how many idiots out there still believe displacement is the biggest factor in power and will buy a longer stroke crank before wanting to even port heads.
Yeah, like that's not going to ruffle some feathers. The topic isn't what to do if you have $3500 to spend, it was the validity of the 4" stroke cranks. You said yourself that you had no comment as to the topic, you just wanted to tell everyone how their logic is deeply flawed. GTFO with that BS.

Quick Reply: Why no aftermarket 4.8L stock stroke crankshafts?