Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam?

Old 05-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam?

Ok I'm looking for some advice and some possible answers so please read and let me know what you think. A week ago I posted about my cam install that went bad and bent all of my intake valves. Well I ordered a new TSP231/237 cam to replace the 237/242 cam that bent the valves while I'm waiting on my heads to get back. In removing the timing cover and rotating the crank to bring the dots on the 237/242 cam to 12o'clock when the crank pulley was at 12 the cam pulley was off 3 teeth. This is also my fault for this next part, when we lined up the dots the first time 3 people checked and we all saw both the cam/crank pullies were lined up at 12o'clock. After we lined them up we didn't rotate the engine to see if they lined up again So my question is this: could that have been why when I checked it today the reason for it to be off 3 teeth? And my last question is this should I run with the 237/242 cam now that everything lines up or go ahead and install the 231/237?
Thanks and let the name calling begin.
Brandon
Old 05-08-2004, 06:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doh lol id say do whatever you want lol
Old 05-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Launching!

I'm sitting here trying to decide. So back TTT anymore ideas?

Last edited by silverbullet00; 05-08-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silverbullet00
Ok I'm looking for some advice and some possible answers so please read and let me know what you think. A week ago I posted about my cam install that went bad and bent all of my intake valves. Well I ordered a new TSP231/237 cam to replace the 237/242 cam that bent the valves while I'm waiting on my heads to get back. In removing the timing cover and rotating the crank to bring the dots on the 237/242 cam to 12o'clock when the crank pulley was at 12 the cam pulley was off 3 teeth. This is also my fault for this next part, when we lined up the dots the first time 3 people checked and we all saw both the cam/crank pullies were lined up at 12o'clock. After we lined them up we didn't rotate the engine to see if they lined up again So my question is this: could that have been why when I checked it today the reason for it to be off 3 teeth? And my last question is this should I run with the 237/242 cam now that everything lines up or go ahead and install the 231/237?
Thanks and let the name calling begin.
Brandon

Pls read http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

What caused the timing chain to jump or did you not have it right to begin with? That is the question that needs to be answered B4 installing new cam. Was their plenty of valve to piston clearance. How long did it run B4 it **** itself? Or did it?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Launching!

That's what I was hoping someone could answer for me is how it moved 3 teeth. There were 3 of us that looked at it the frist time and it was lined up, but we didn't rotate the engine to see if they stayed lined up.
After looking at the pistons the valves didn't hit by much, but it was enough to bend them. Here's the link to what I had posted the first time when all of this started.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=motor+start
The car ran for about 5 seconds at the most before I shut it off. I changed the oil pump and filter so I was a little worried about that. When I went to restart it thats when I got the backfire through the intake. I've talked to Lunati, Jim Cook performance, and the guy I bought the cam off of and all say it should have fit with no problems. So I'm kinda curious and want to try to run it.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silverbullet00
That's what I was hoping someone could answer for me is how it moved 3 teeth. There were 3 of us that looked at it the frist time and it was lined up, but we didn't rotate the engine to see if they stayed lined up.
After looking at the pistons the valves didn't hit by much, but it was enough to bend them. Here's the link to what I had posted the first time when all of this started.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=motor+start
The car ran for about 5 seconds at the most before I shut it off. I changed the oil pump and filter so I was a little worried about that. When I went to restart it thats when I got the backfire through the intake. I've talked to Lunati, Jim Cook performance, and the guy I bought the cam off of and all say it should have fit with no problems. So I'm kinda curious and want to try to run it.

I know it to believe with three sets of eyes looking, but with no other mechanical errors I would tend to believe that the cam wasn't aligned properly. Did it bend the pushrods? My advice would be to obtain another timing chain, it may be the culprit, but it would be a stretch . Is the base circle of the new cam reduced so that custom pushrods are not needed? Was it running in a motor B4 you bought it and can you measure the pushrods that he was running? Or install cam only and align dots to dots, turn crank by hand and see what happens. If ok install heads and one set of pushrods, exh. or int. and slowly adjust and rotate engine by hand to make sure everyone is happy then install the next set. Once everything is installed and adjusted properly turn motor over by hand at least twice. If everybody is happy, put it back together. If there is a bind, it will show up B4 you start it.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Nope didn't bend the pushrods. I'm running hardened stock 7.4's which is what Matt(nilestracing) was running as well. The timing chain is a heat treated double roller with the torrington bearings from SDPC. I will more than likely try to run the 237/242 cam again now that I know everything lines up.

Search this Thread