Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my stupid camswap mistake

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default my stupid camswap mistake

So i've got my new cam in, the rollmaster double-roller on, and the ported ls6 oil pump on and ready to go. I've already swapped the springs on #1 and 6 using the tdc method, so i go to turn the crank 90 degrees to do the next set of springs and I hear this load metallic clank. Oh ****, panic sets in. Thoughts of the crank counterweights hitting the cam lobes or the pickup tube are running through my head even though i've never heard of that happening before. It turns out when i put the cam retaining plate back in, i used one of the longer bolts on the bottom where the shorter bolt should have gone. The bolt was sticking too far into the block and the first crankshaft counterweight was hitting it. Just trying to save someone else some trouble if they mix up the bolts like I did.

Other random notes:
* I tried the 5/16 rod for a lifter holding tool. Worked perfect on the drivers side, but it got hung up on the passenger side. So i used some self adhesive velcro wrapped around a 3/16 rod and it worked perfect.

*get a new oil pump o ring cause mine looked like **** when i took it out

*the Larry Sample valvespring tool kicks ***

*jmx, your website kicks ***
Old 05-09-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P Mack
*jmx, your website kicks ***
Amen.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some ziplock bags and postit notes prevent that from happening unless you pull LS1s down on a daily basis and remember every bolt by diameter, length and thread pitch.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put every set of bolts and nuts in seperate ziplocs and used a permanent marker.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gonbad
I put every set of bolts and nuts in seperate ziplocs and used a permanent marker.
Exact same method I used, and it saved me from possible headaches. Also, just be sure you used the washers for the oil pump to seal up to the block that comes with the double chain. Otherwise, you won't have any oil pressure on start up and have to tear it down again.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:42 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

at least u figured out the problem. i dont even remember they were different sizes. but i have no errie noises, so i must of put it back together right