Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic car wash punctured my oil pan! Need advice. (PICS).

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Automatic car wash punctured my oil pan! Need advice. (PICS).

It was 4 degrees yesterday morning so I went to the gas station car wash next to my house to melt the ice and get the road salt off.

Sidenote: it's a near new station/wash and I've used it at least 10 times before. It's not the kind where your wheel goes in between the rails, it has rubber conveyer belts that carry the car along.

At the end of the wash, the belts weren't carrying the car forward onto the cement. I put it in gear and gave it a little gas but went nowhere. The attendant came in and waved me forward. I tried to move forward again and BAM BOOM CHINGCHINGCHINGCHINGCHING W.T.F. I shut down the car after about 2 seconds, maybe less. I get out inside the car wash and walk around the front... This is what I see:

A steel grate and a metal panel that covered the pit was sticking up. They both went right over the crossmember (k member?) taking a chunk out of it, through the steering rack (steering stabilizer?) straight into the front of the oil pan.

Crazy right?? AND the two passenger side tires were flat (I checked them at the pump 2 minutes earlier so I know they were fine).

The general manager was there when it happened and we talked it out. He told me they would take care of me. They never went so far as to outright admit blame, but it appears evident. He called me a tow truck. I rode with to the mechanic shop. We looked it over on the lift and they ordered 1) new pan and windage tray; 2) steering stabilizer thing. He tells me the engine is fine (he based this on the fact there is still oil in it. Well duh mister it went through the front of the pan of course there's still oil where the dipstick pokes in.) I could see the windage tray was bent backwards, possibly touching the crank. Maybe that's the noise I heard before shutting it down?

The mechanic seems honest. He's not in cahoots with this other guy and doesn't give a **** if he's replacing the oil pan or the entire engine. (I turned down the GM's offer to go to "his guy" even though he's "real good") BUT I don't want them to just slap on some parts and assume none of the chunks of metal went into the engine or damaged the bearings or whatever.

What should I specifically have them check or what can happen with all the metal chunks in the pan? Anyone have experience just replacing the oil pan when this kind of thing happens? What residual signs should I look for to know where there was more damage done?

Don't rag on me for using an auto car wash. There are no self service ones around me, nor would I want to use one when the windchill is below 0. And I'm not paying for a handwash when I just want the salt washed off and the ice off the car so I can roll my windows down.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally i would've have taken the car to a gm dealership for an engine inspection. it would guarantee genuine gm parts and would know what u need. definitely tear down the engine and check everything including the crank and see if their within specs. also check the crank to see if its still balanced. just to be on the safe side
Old 12-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats crazy as hell. Especially the two right tires being flat. Any ideas on what caused that? It looks like the right belt has some sort of block to keep the car from rolling, but it doesn't look like they could puncture a tire.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

No need to tear the engine down that's ridiculous. If it punctured the sump and lost the complete oil capacity then yes a teardown or pulling a main or rod for random inspections a must.. The motor lost no oil in that location where it was punctured.

Drop the K member put a new pan and windage tray in check to make sure all the fractured pieces of aluminum are out they are probably are laying in the pan. Replace the steering rack make dang sure they do a full front end alignment afterwards not just check the toe in and call it good.

You saved it by shutting it off instantly it will live a long healthy life after repairs are done. Don't sweat it too hard a day's work on a lift and it'll be done and back on the road in no time.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn that sucks.

Hope it turns out alright.

Make sure you update this thread with the outcome!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Holy s&*% batman.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks.

The worst part of everything, is that you have to defile the front of your car with a license plate.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:14 AM
TECH Regular

How did that happen you don't appear to be lowered?! If you are stock height, you have a valid argument for their negligence since your suspension is not modified. Sorry that sucks. When the manager says they'll make it right, meaning they'll cover the cost of a new oil pan, installation and new oil, then I would be more at ease with his statement. Get an estimate from GM or your preferred shop and have that car wash cover the cost.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sepsis

The worst part of everything, is that you have to defile the front of your car with a license plate.
Thats what I thought too.

OP What are they willing to do for you? Whatever it takes or just enough to get you off their back?

Since you shut it down so quickly you may be able to just replace the damaged parts throw some oil in it and call it good.

I would change the oil right after you get it back though..
Old 01-01-2014, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
No need to tear the engine down that's ridiculous. If it punctured the sump and lost the complete oil capacity then yes a teardown or pulling a main or rod for random inspections a must.. The motor lost no oil in that location where it was punctured.

Drop the K member put a new pan and windage tray in check to make sure all the fractured pieces of aluminum are out they are probably are laying in the pan. Replace the steering rack make dang sure they do a full front end alignment afterwards not just check the toe in and call it good.

You saved it by shutting it off instantly it will live a long healthy life after repairs are done. Don't sweat it too hard a day's work on a lift and it'll be done and back on the road in no time.
This is exactly what the mechanic said.

All I care about is being put back in the position I was before this happened. Whether that takes just a few parts or a new engine we'll see. The gas station gm was definitely NOT a car guy and it was obvious he had no idea the extent of the damage even with the oil splattered all over the ground. I'm basically waiting to have the pan torn into and we will go from there.

My car is lowered but I've used that car wash many times and nothing under the car showed any sign it got snagged.

Ugh I 100% agree about the license plate comments but there really isn't anything I can do. Where I live the meter readers give tickets for not having one. Only took me 2 $50 tickets to say screw it and zip tie it back on.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'd replace the pickup tube aswell. at the very least check it. these engines are known for oil pressure problems and it all starts with the pickup tube. the slightest pinhole and you'll have no oil pressure and be taking the pan right back down again.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

That is horrendous. What was sticking up that punctured it? Did their carwash malfunction or break?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
That is horrendous. What was sticking up that punctured it? Did their carwash malfunction or break?
It was a steel metal grate and a diamond plate steel panel that were angled upwards. They were about 2'x3' each. I don't know if someone before me drove over them and sort of dislodged them or what. But by the time I got there they were angling upward enough to get me.

In the first picture you can see the steel diamond plate still stuck in there with oil dripping down it and on the blue belt. When i took that picture, he had already yanked out the metal grate. They were supposed to be covering that pit.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

That's retarded that they have a car wash that would even have anything that could possibly end up caught under a car in the center to start with. The two flat passenger tires has my mind boggled The idiot that told you to pull forward couldn't see any of that?? I'd be pissed. And man you got a very nice looking car but I'd clip the wire ties and roll without the front plate but that's just me lol
Old 01-01-2014, 09:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

You mentioned the windage tray is bent. Have the mechanic take a good look at the rotating assembly.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Teching In

I own a car wash (not a tunnel like this), and to be honest, no matter how hard you try sometimes stuff happens. Sounds like he is looking after you. I would give him the benefit of the doubt he is looking after you. Based on the picture i wounder if when you hit the gas the motor and gearbox under the plate torqued and hit the plate on top of it and knocked it up into your car. could be a mount broke.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

good luck with repairs, your car is definitely clean for a DD in chicago winters!

A manual hideaway license plate is great & cheap.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I got it all taken care of. It was fixed by Friday and I picked it up Saturday. There was no damage to the engine. The tech inspected the crank and sent a camera into the cylinders to check them out. I forgot to take pictures of the damaged parts. They removed the engine to do all the work (should have had them throw in a cam!). The hole in the front of the oil pan was about 9" long and 2" tall. He said there was still 3-4 qts of oil in the bottom of the pan and they recovered all the broken pieces. The windage tray was bent very slightly and you would see some light marks on the inside of it where the crank counterweight had slid across. Evidently it caused no damage. They also installed a new steering gear. They used gm parts no aftermarket stuff. As a bonus the shop readjusted my exhaust and added new clamps and ordered and installed new sway bar end links. I was missing the passenger side end link . All in the bill was $1750 (800 labor / 850 parts and tax).

The car feels fine and no funny noises. It actually sounded better thanks to them fixing a small exhaust leak and the suspension piece. I was only able to drive it the 5 miles home before we got hit with snow and cold. So for now everything is good. Hopefully it doesn't poop out 100 miles does the road. The Car Wash didn't give me and hassles and I didn't hassle them. The bill was paid for and taken care of before I picked it up. They are my neighborhood go-to place and I understand accidents happen so I wanted to keep it classy with them, and they were quick and decisive in handling it all.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have to look into one of those flip up hideaway plates.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

glad to hear its okay , keep us updated , id dont want to hear about something going south in 200 miles.

Quick Reply: Automatic car wash punctured my oil pan! Need advice. (PICS).