Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would Installing the Crankshaft timing gear with a deadblow hammer damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would Installing the Crankshaft timing gear with a deadblow hammer damage?

I have had several duh moments lately...

I was putting my new timing set on tonight and did not have a longer crank bolt handy, so I used a deadblow (plastic mallet) to install my lower timing sprocket on the crank.

Took quite a few good licks. Motor seems harder to turn over now by hand... (It's just the assembled shortblock, crank rods and pistons. Timing chain is not on.)

Last week I could mostly spin it by using two hands on the crank, now I can do that about half the rotation, but it seems to hang ever so slightly. Spins ok with a wrench.

Am I just being paranoid?

What should I check for damage? Main or Thrust bearings?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Thrust bearing probably doesn't like that... easiest way to get the lower timing sprocket on is use the old timing sprocket with a puller bolt to give you extra length and gently pull it on.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your thrust bearing had more clearance than your rod side clearances, then then possibly a rod hit the crank before the crank hit the thrust bearing.

Quick Reply: What would Installing the Crankshaft timing gear with a deadblow hammer damage?