Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1A on a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F1A on a LS1

Just built my LS1 thinking with a little shot of N2O, it would be enough of a jump from my previous 406 SBC … but, that’s not the case. Really liking the increase in RPM, but still need more power. Now going to throw some boost at it with an F1A Procharger. As my LS1 has just built (less than 1K) and balanced, I am having a hard time with making any mods to the short block, as I would rather just build another motor down the road to handle more boost as funds come about. The current budget is being spent on the F1A addition.

Current build is a 2001 LS1 block, stock crank and rods, with ARP 2000 bolts. Pistons are forged Diamonds -2cc, with rings set at 0.024” top, 0.018” 2nd. Crank is pinched down with ARP studs. Assembly including flywheel and clutch has been fully balanced.

Would like to upgrade rods, but again don’t want to pull this block apart.

Looking for 650-700 at the crank. For now, was going to stick with a big pulley, then downsize later. Also planning to run a waste gate, to build boost earlier, then limit max. Thoughts are; let the blower idle along, build bigger boost early and limit it to 10-12 PSI max.

Block and rods are going to be on the edge, so want to keep it on the reliable side of too much. Will need to limit boost with this setup, but to where, is the question?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is your final hp goal ? You can hit your crank hp goal with a D1 Procharger, and still have room for more. Your block won't be on the edge at that power level, the rods are the weak link... That being said guys have made way more than your goals with bone stock motors.

As long as the tune is good, fuel system is up to the task and add a methanol injection system to the car. You should be able to hit 650-700 hp at the wheels with your current motor.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Next motor will be built to handle 1000 at the crank. When I go there, car will be dedicated to the 1/4 and A&W. For now, I want to keep it somewhat street-able, as well as usable for road course runs.

Couple reasons for the F1A now;
1) Don't want to upgrade S/C, intake / discharge piping, etc. when I make the next move, I also plan to maintain same intake / exhaust setup as present, so no changes occur.

Planning for future power goals, as it seems to be very short time frames between my HP increases, but am hoping this next step should keep me happy for a while. Current intake / exhaust setup were bought in expectation of these future power goals, more so then being ideal for the immediate setup. They will work well with this next upgrade.

2) I too live at high elevation.

3) Plan to run a wastegate to improve mid range power and don't want to spin the blower to the max to support higher boost pressures at lower RPM.

I wasn't planning on running meth inj, but stick with a safe tune, limiting AFR and timing, then adjust boost to meet the current power goal.

Been searching for wastegates for this purpose, but am having a hard time determining what size I should run. Seems most calculate it on engine size and turbo size. For use with a S/C, can I simply cross reference the amount of boost I wish to run to determine wastegate size required?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If thats you final hp goal I would go ahead then and do the F1A, do some searches in the FI section there are a few guys that run wastegates on there prochargers. Also look into upgrading the blower "J" bracket from the start, either a SDCE or ASTER bracket.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Teching In

This is going on a LS1 converted 3rd Gen, so I have picked up a custom bracket from Indiana Musclecar for my install. It mimics the Procharger LSX transplant bracket quite closely and looks to be very solid. They are putting down close to 1000 at the wheels in their setup with an F1R, so feel confident it will support my build.

Thanks for the info. Checked out your build thread and pics too, very nice!

Quick Reply: F1A on a LS1