Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I ordered some AFR 210cc heads today..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you bought $2500 heads and you want to leave 20-40 hp on the table because you don't want to spend another $200 to get the right cam? Doesn't make much sence to me. Just cause the are good heads with good flow numbers dont mean they do magic, you have to get the cam to work with the heads. Iv seen a guy pick up 8rwhp with afr heads vs stock before, after getting a cam from tony he was a solid 40rwhp ahead.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

I had the ASA cam when i bought my AFR 210's and was planning on running them with that, but i flicked Tony Mamo a p.m. and decided that it was best to sell it and use something suited to the heads for maximum efficiency as the Hotcam/ASA cam specs are all wrong due to the large intake/exhaust split they have ( AFR stuff prefers single pattern/small splits of 4* because of the strong intake/exhaust port flow relationship) Tony recommended his tried and true 224/228 114 with the 210's, which he ran in his vette with the AFR 205's he was show casing when they came out, but i was after the largest cam i could stuff in there without fly cutting so he sorted me a 228/228 114 which is beast mode with the setup i have, great DD manners & idle quality + reasonable fuel economy too, then shreds tires anywhere off throttle through 1st & 2nd, do yourself a favour since you have top shelf heads and dont short change yourself on the available performance you have by installing an incorrect cam that wont take advantage of what you have, flick it on ebay and hit Tony Mamo a p.m. and he will put you right track
Old 01-18-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I commend the op for sticking with his decision to run the cam he likes. After swapping heads , he can make the choice later to change it if he likes.

To many people telling you what you should do because they read about a better cam in another thread.

Trial and error , do what suits your needs
Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
I commend the op for sticking with his decision to run the cam he likes. After swapping heads , he can make the choice later to change it if he likes.

To many people telling you what you should do because they read about a better cam in another thread.

Trial and error , do what suits your needs
Hmmm... That's not what I got from people replies, They said talk to Tony Mamo because he has already done the trial and error part so why not seek advice from someone who already knows what works and what doesn't?
OP was looking to gain a couple HP from changing springs but gets offended when people offer him advice that may gain him 20-40hp with potentially better driveability and gas mileage. I'll say the same thing as the others, Why buy top shelf heads then not look into getting the most out of them? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

It does not have to make sense to you. Its his money
Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

It may be his money, but he asked how to increase HP from a spring swap. He now knows that's a deadend.

The choice of changing to an optimized cam for more power, mileage, and drivability does not sit well with the OP who has adopted an attitude in response to those who have offered advice on how he could make better decisions with his money. No one is telling him the flavor of the month cam. I and others simply stated he should probably talk to Tony Mamo if he wants to optimize his setup.

And yes, back when the AFR 205s cam out, there was a guy with a Z06 who swapped the 243s for 205s and picked up 25rwhp or so with a stock cam. Not nearly what you see in a cammed application, but something. And it did drive exactly like stock. The problem is, a lot of modern lobes are so fast seat-to-seat that they behave like much smaller cams in idle and part throttle characteristics while providing greater VEs and power.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
It may be his money, but he asked how to increase HP from a spring swap. He now knows that's a deadend.

The choice of changing to an optimized cam for more power, mileage, and drivability does not sit well with the OP who has adopted an attitude in response to those who have offered advice on how he could make better decisions with his money. No one is telling him the flavor of the month cam. I and others simply stated he should probably talk to Tony Mamo if he wants to optimize his setup.

And yes, back when the AFR 205s cam out, there was a guy with a Z06 who swapped the 243s for 205s and picked up 25rwhp or so with a stock cam. Not nearly what you see in a cammed application, but something. And it did drive exactly like stock. The problem is, a lot of modern lobes are so fast seat-to-seat that they behave like much smaller cams in idle and part throttle characteristics while providing greater VEs and power.
No, I wasn't asking if ls6 springs would increase hp.
I am no expert, as most of you on this thread have pointed out.
But, it would seem to me that running stiffer springs then needed would actually rob you of a couple of hp.
In fact, I can't see how this wouldn't be the case.

Each of you offered your own opinion as to what I need to do to get optimum result's from the afr's, ignoring whatever I had to say about the cam I chose to run.
More then one of those responses probably came from someone who is simply repeating something he read, or heard about somewhere.
Like the guy above who said he "knew a guy" who only got "8 rwhp" after installing afr heads with some un-named cam.

More power to all of you who are pursuing the best combo.
No doubt you will probably have better end result's then I.
But for what I want, it will do the job.

Last edited by dannyz; 01-19-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: wron wording
Old 01-19-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. They are great heads, you'll be impressed with them.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP I think the heads you got and the asa cam will make solid power and sound great doing it. Can't wait to see the results of the curve
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iv been doing research on AFR 205s with the ls6 cam and full bolt ons on a 01 z28. Not ideal by any means but I want to HOPEFULLY hit 400 to the wheels with this setup. I mean if ls1s can land anywhere in between 350-370 after a 04 ls6 cam swap how far fetched is my goal with bolt on ls1 04 ls6 cam and milled 205s..?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats on the heads. I am jealous. God it cracks me up on this forum how many people get off on repeating what they have read and swear to it like they have experienced it themselves. Enjoy. Sorry have no input on your spring situation. Ha
Old 01-20-2014, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that their are better cams out their. At the same time though if you have dropped your saveings on the heads and cant get another cam theirs nothing wrong with the hot cam. We had one in a car with ported 243 heads and that cam was a torqy little f***** on the bottom end and threw the mid range. Shreaded tires at almost 50 mph roll in a 6 speed car. It did leave a lot on the table on the top end of a pass but over all was a fun cam to work with. Later on you will have room for more if you want with a great set of heads. If you cant afford another cam I wouldent hesitate to run it. With a set of pin magnets it doesn't take that long do do a cam swap later on.

Quick Reply: So I ordered some AFR 210cc heads today..